Sternwheeler Fans?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Sternwheel Rat, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Sternwheel Rat

Sternwheel Rat Slow Boater

Hello All, New to the whole "forum" thing,{ain't this www just great!} lots of great information. I've read with interest, and a few smirks, some of the postings concerning Sternwheelers, Sidewheelers, Rudders, and Drive systems.
    Let me start by noting I OWN a 1946 Sternwheel Towboat, and the three-car ferry barge it pushed, so anything I post is coming from 7 years and 2500 miles on the inland waterways in a boat that acts, reacts, steers, and stops like no other boat I have ever been on. I am more than happy to share my experience and limited knowledge with all, free of charge, right or wrong, as I plan on abusing many of you while I tackle my dream of building a larger sternwheeler. All comments taken lightly, all e-mails answered at river speed, all questions considered, and all nonsence appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Welcome to the forum 'Rat' Nice to see somebody who knows everything there is to know about their chosen subject - there's a few of them on here! Ther's also some opinionated bas***s - I know that for sure (I am one!) What I can't figure is if they are that clever why do they need to bore the *** of everybody else - or is it just showing off?

My other problem is if your sternwheeler is going backwards is it a bowwheeler? and if not why not?

now from what I know of rivers I guess you'll reply in about a week or so - little bit faster 'n Cornish speed! Down yer us don't have a word for manana - we don't understand that kind of urgency! see ya - drekly!

3. Sternwheel Rat

Safewalrus, thanks for the welcome. I DO NOT KNOW EVERYTHING! But, my Wife does, so any hard questions will be fielded by Her:] and she tries not to show off.
    Nope, it's still a sternwheeler, just harder to steer that way.
    The River's running a little faster right now:}

"Try to learn something new every day. If you don't, then you go to bed just as ignorant as when you woke up!" My Grandfather

4. safewalrus

Rat - thanks for that buddy! I don't know it all but I have a sixteen year old boy, and like all sixteen year olds HE KNOWS EVERYTHING! going to be a bugger next year when he reaches seventeen and finds he doesn't know EVERYTHING!

5. Sternwheel Rat

Walrus,
    It'll take longer than that!Younger son 20, older son 26. Older son finally told me I was smarter than he thought, 2 years ago! Younger son still sure I'm an idiot! lol!
    Thanks for the warm welcome.
    Now,anybody want to talk about slow moving, shallow draft, fuel efficient, cool as hell, brown water, paddle wheel boats?

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Sternwheeler fans

And welcome from me 'Rat'. Of course being a Scot I naturally know everything.....

I was just wondering...If you gave your boat a regular cuddle - perhaps it would become a more 'Friendlywheeler' :)

7. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Oh man, that pun really stinks. I think it might attract buzzards.

Mr. Rat, welcome! I'm interested in your boat! How big is it? Power, drive system, rudders? Photos? Maybe expound a little on "acts, reacts, steers, and stops like no other boat I have ever been on".

8. artemis

artemis Steamboater

Hi Rat. I'm in Portland, OR where the Steam Tug Portland lives and paddles. Shes 219' LOA and is still in operating condition.

Attached Files:

9. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Sternwheeler fans

Hey Sam...you didn't ask if it had a 'Howard' Keel.

I know 'Showboat' did :D :D :D :D

10. safewalrus

Oh go 0n then Bergalia do explain!!!:p :p :p :p

Weeeeeelll some of the children may not get it!

Remember the old TV series back in the late fifties 'Maverick' about a SternWheeler'..........No sorry diddn't have TV in the hielands then did you - was an invention of the devil according to the village elders!

11. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Sternwheeler fans

Second on the left....:)

Attached Files:

12. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

Hi Rat
    I have an interest in working out paddlewheel efficiency.

Can you provide some specs on you ship and the propulsion.

For the boat the main ones are length, beam, draft, displacement.

For the propulsion the interesting things are cruising speed, wheel RPM, blade width, blade depth, number of blades, wheel diameter and estimate of HP at cruise (fuel rate and type of engine would be useful here).

Happy if the answer comes at river speed.

Rick W.

13. Sternwheel Rat

Once again, thanks for the warm welcome guys.
    I've tried loving up on the 'ol girl everyway I can think of, still Stern, must be old age, you know how the old folks get!

Before I get carried away with all the specifics, is there another forum page better suited to this discussion? I don't want to make the teacher mad at me the first week of school.
    Besides, I need to get out the tape measure and write this stuff down, I can't remember all the numbers, you know how old folks get!
    I'll wait for a suggestion as to forum page rules, then, Let the Fun Begin!!

14. safewalrus

Ah Berg ...That howard!!! sorry I was thinking of some one else (as in the old mexican adage - how old are you son? 16? I want you to reach 17 so I will come back next year and keel you then!!:rolleyes:

15. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Keel looks pretty happy to be a part of that Grayson/Gardner sandwich!:D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.