St. Pierre Dory with junk sail rig

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Ian Booth, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

Attached Files:

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

won't get much of a sail on that mast Raggi

3. Raggi_Thor

No :)
    I thought mabe a slighly longer mast in front of the wheelhouse,
    and a centerboard or lifting keel.

4. Ian Booth

Ian Booth Junior Member

27ST.Pierredory
    Excellent! Post them to the forum so we can all have a look. The idea hasn't really drawn much interest - maybe a few pics will get people interested.

5. Ian Booth

Ian Booth Junior Member

Hello safe walrus
    Are you having a laugh - why would you even make such a comment?

6. Ian Booth

Ian Booth Junior Member

7. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Regarding the seaworthiness of the St Pierre dory, the design is known for ultimate survivability in all conditions. The boat is very light, even considering the long overhangs. While the bottom is flat, it is also half or less of the overall beam. Captain blackburn, of Gloucester, Massachusetts fame, is said to have twice sailed one single-handed across the Atlantic in the 1800s, though he had no hands, having lost them to frostbite (that's another story, a most incredible journey).
    If not as comfortable as a heavy ballasted yacht, the slab-sided dory is the boat to trust. It cannot sink; it will not poop or pitch-pole, is ultimately incredibly strong and supple due to its planking having no edge-set or cross grain. It can carry amazing weight and yet because of its hull shape, simple becomes a bigger boat, just as if one pushed a pyramid deeper into the water. Two men can row even the 27 ft model efficiently (the slab-sided Banks dory model is famous for its rowing ease).
    In addition, while not the most weatherly sailor, the hard chine gives good bite and as Phil Bolger has proven in his own hard-chined designs, very efficient waterlines when heeled.
    The only detractor in terms of sailing is the narrow waterline beam and the lack of ballast down low. Movable ballast would cure this, if water could be pumped up to the maximum beam area.
    The last thing is that this is probably one of the, if not THE easiest boats one could build, not only because of the simple hull design, which requires no lofting, but because there is little waste of material and the light weight means a lot of boat for a minimum of materials bought.

Alan

8. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Also, Google "The Thousand Dollar Yacht", a non-fiction book about a sailing st Pierre detailing a man's experience building and sailing one. Something like 60 pages of the book are free online.

9. 27ST.Pierredory

27ST.Pierredory Junior Member

Great post Alan

Could'nt have said it better my self LOL
    the St. Pierre is a really great versatile boat while being a displacement hull isn't for speed maybe 8 knots max , but i have herd that you can obtain 8 KNOTS UNDER SAIL AS WELL AS FROM A 9.9 HORSE POWER OUTBOARD MOTOR. I am looking for good repair methods Dolfinite seams to be good for bedding hardware and small splits, cracks. I have some splits that are as much as 3/8ths wide and im afraid that i will have to route them out and put epoxy in some white cedar as the dolfinte just drapes back out before it can set up as for the nail holes i think the dolfinite will work but haven't decided weather to just mix up some epoxy and sawdust to fill the hundreds of countersunk nail holes that i have to fill .
    Just wanted to say great post to the Pierre and the nexus Dory is a modified st.Pierre with a planing hull meaning that most of the rocker has been taken out making it good for inland and coastal cruseing only limiting its seaworthiness and ultimate survivability
    just my 2 cents worth if any one has any coments about dolfinite filling splits or nail holes id like to here from you please .....

:)

10. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Thanks for the (I should say "encouragement")
    I'm currently looking for a good set of lines for a 27-28 ft St Pierre. I'd like to do a scale model prior to building. This would be for sail. I plan to build the boat after selling my house and cruise the Erie canal and then keep going.
    This would probably be ketch or yawl rig with a center cockpit and wheel steering. I really don't need more than a scalable set of views. I can work out my own construction details. Currently I am thinking about vertical grain fir 3/4 x 3" epoxy glued and glassed (outside) planking over white oak frames.
    A lot of details have to be worked out.
    If you or anyone knows of where I could get the lines, particularly rocker, midship flare, and bottom width, I can work from there. I'm interested in maintaining the classic banks dory model insofar as the hull goes, and shoal draft, meaning no fixed keel, but rather centerboard or lifting keel.

Alan

11. 27ST.Pierredory

27ST.Pierredory Junior Member

modified St. pierre dory

Hi Ian in John Gardner's dory book he does talk about modifying the hull by widening it he also has the plan for it in the dory book and for 20 - 25 dallers you should defiantly buy the book y wont regret it . if you want me to i can scan the lines for you PM me. the dory i like for sail is called the badger i love thease lines and will try to adapt them to my dory.
    just cutting the old cabin off today or most of it

12. alan white

alan white Senior Member

27 StPierre----- Hi, I mentioned earlier I was also looking for lines. I would be building a model first to examine the interior options. If you can do this, it would be appreciated. I intend to buy the book too. I've read Gardners other book, can't remember the name. Good book.

Alan

13. Raggi_Thor

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  14. alan white

alan white Senior Member

That's the one. Good book. The dory book is my next purchase. Thanks!

A.

15. nordvindcrew

nordvindcrew Senior Member

how about a change of direction? I've been a fan of San Francisco Bay Pelican sailboats for years. There are plans for up to 20' and they have a huge volume in a 20' boat designed for sail. Your Junk rig should adapt readily to the boat