Sri lanka a safe country (www.dailynews.lk)

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by gamage, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Is Sri lanka like India where they sentence women to gang **** and dis allow ecucation so they cant do much about it.

I read recently that local village elders can sentence women to various types of **** as punishment.

Thier reluctant reports at the police station is often met with laughter and torment.

Is India on the same planet as the rest of us?

Now theres is a dam good excuse for re-colonisation that would appear to be welcomed by the Indians them selves.

Is Sri Lanka like this?---Safe for who?

2. gamage

gamage Senior Member

The Secular Position of Women in Buddhism[/COLOR]
    When we consider the position accorded to women in ordinary life we have to note that the Buddha's teaching was primarily concerned with individual spiritual emancipation. This emancipation would be manifested in the worldly conduct of individuals, but the Buddha was not interested in establishing and perpetuating a particular worldly order, for whatever actual regime that would be put in place would in a Buddhist sense be unsatisfactory. In this respect Buddhism differs from other religions where private and public affairs were brought within the gambit of religious regulation.
    Thus Buddhism does not take such things as marriage (where the position of women is important) as a religious "sacrament".. as it is, for instance, in Christianity or Hinduism. The Buddhist position was that these matters have to be regulated by society thorough some kind of social, political or legal process. It is only required that such arrangements should not be in fundamental conflict with the Dhamma. It is possible to have many different kinds of social and family arrangements which are compatible with the broad framework of the Dhamma. Thus matters like divorce, inheritance of property, etc. are entirely regulated by social processes, and there is considerable freedom for individuals in these arrangements. In matters like marriage, divorce, ownership of property, personal political or religious beliefs, etc. wives were allowed considerable liberty, and this was something that was to astonish Christian missionaries to Buddhist countries.

<enabling.org/ia/vipassana/.../womenInBuddhismSwarnaDeSilva.html>

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Im sorry --was that an attempt to answer my question?

That is exactly my point, you still govern with religion, of which is hugely reliant on interpretation by any one that happens to be in charge at the time.

Proper laws,-- proper penalties,--hard to achieve for many countries.

4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Jack,

Don't faint, and I'm having trouble believing it myself, but I agree with your point completely.

Just one thing, my friend, you've got the country wrong. The incident you mentioned happened in Pakistan. The lovely fellows who decided gang **** of an innocent girl was a proper way to offset the "loss of honor" causd by her 12 year old brother's walking with another young girl while unchaperoned, were fundamentalist Muslims. You know those guys, the ones who recruit the young and stupid and convince them that the way to Paradise is to blow themselves up, preferably along with lots of women and babies.

Gamage, with respect, what are you thinking?

1. Jack frost did not attack Buddhism, or even mention it. He said, quite clearly, that allowing religious or social beliefs to justify abuse of women was wrong, and that a government which allowed that was a lousy government and should be changed. Jack and I enjoy disagreeing on many subjects in this forum, but here we stand together.

2."It is only required that such arrangements should not be in fundamental conflict with the Dhamma. It is possible to have many different kinds of social and family arrangements ...". Again, with respect, if you are trying to say Buddhism doesn't concern itself with abuses of women, or that social structures that encourage abuse of women are not in fundamental conflict with the Dhamma, then there is something wrong, either with the Dhamma or with your interpretation of it. If that's not what you are saying, why mention Buddhism at all?

5. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Not all Celonese are Budhist! The skinny ones can be Hindu or Tamil or even Christian (with a handful of animists thrown in) depends where you are to which priest sez no, kicks your *** and pinches the bloody beast as well! Other than that ain't too much difference

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

At one time many years ago I had quite a few staff working for a company in Dubai. They were Indians Srilankans and Pakistanis. Although I had to ask the foreman before employing to see if they were compatable or not, I dont remember him ever refusing.

Interestingly and rather amusing was the foreman who would stand firmly in the middle of the yard at 9.15am and salute the Dubia-London British Airways flight.

Seemingly able to get along, I did notice that the Srilankans were more intelligent and could speak english better.

It would appear that away from their home they were able to put aside strong religious attitudes and let common sence prevail.

Budhism here in Thailand is a way of life and basically 'advises' you on how to be amongst others and to harmonize with the planet. I do that anyway.

If I had to be a religious man, I would be a budhist

7. gamage

gamage Senior Member

8. safewalrus

Jack you've got him all religious, you know what people who get religion are like - poor old Gamage will be like that for ages - let us hope it wears off and he gets back to earth soon - this is one of the main reasons we don't discuss religion in pubs (the other is the fact that somebody will get fed up of the God Squad going on and on and on and deck them...........usually me!

9. gamage

gamage Senior Member

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I think he's trying to say he's back.

Well that all well and good but I shall handle him with gloves from now on.

Anyway religion --- yes one of my favourite subjects unfortunately.

And--unfortunately I dont get people strong enough to have a good ole sort out,-- with out them bursting into tears or stamping there feet at me and caling me a 'horrible man'.

I just love it when the door bell used to ring on a Sunday morning, "who the hell is that" " Oh Oh its a jehovas witness darling"

Yes its a shame I just cant find people strong enough --or if they are they are on my side ---DAM.

11. safewalrus

Yes Jack, nice things jehova's witnesses (tho' how they can be a witness when the accident happened so may years ago beats me!) You open the door, and theirs this pair of smart 'clockwork' creatures who just spout off with no reference to if your listening or not! My eldest had the right idea some years ago - the doorbell went, out he goes, "we've come to talk about God" not interested, blither blither, your not listening I'm not intrested, blither blither! So he sez "go on then" and of course they do for some 20 minutes! they stops for breath thinking whatever they think, so the boy sez "still not intrested" and shuts the door! Yelp you hurd my dose - from the other side of the door! Never came back tho' OH I do miss those intellectual chats!!

12. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

I'm just waiting to see the looks on all the faces of all the religious zealots when the aliens finally come back and say "hi children sorry we were gone so long, did you miss us"... Oh how I will laugh.

Mychael

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Thats what I always say when i want to make a point.

One day the Aliens or an alien will finally come to see us, and he will be on the telly, probably Oprah Winfry show and she will say " so what about your religion".

The alien will look slightly confused, lean forward in his seat and say Sorry?

Oprah will say "you know your god and life after death and all that"

The alien will smile, and then smile a bit more untill unable to hold the laughter he says" oh you dont still believe in that crap do you, Oh jees after all this time--- Oh no.

14. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

This is a long joke so bear with me.
    A bloke dies and goes up to heaven. He is met at the gates by Saint Peter who offers to take him on a bit of a tour.
    As they're walking around St. Pete points out the various interest groups. He says "over there where all that chanting is, that's the Bhuddists, over that side where all the moaning and wailing is going on, well that's the jews and their close friends the muslims", a bit further along he points to a small group looking a bit emabarressed and says "that's all the athiests, bet they feel silly now", they go on and eventually come to a high brick wall and the man asks St. Pete why the wall is there, St. Pete says "well we had to put that wall up, you see on the other side of that wall is the catholics and they like to think they are the only ones up here" Boom ,boom.

Mychael

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Three old girls go to heaven, St peter says now look there no rules or anything so before you go in just remember dont tread on a duck.

So they go through the gates and sure enough the place is covered with ducks.

After half an hour one of them treads on a duck, St peter come rushing up with the ugliest bloke youve ever seen, big nose one eye- just awfull.

St peter handcuffs this bloke to the woman who trod on the duck. He said this is your punishment ,you will be hadcuffed to him for eternity.

The other two saw this and was determined not ever to stand on a duck.

2 months and they are still going well untill Squalk,--one of them stands on a duck .

St peter comes rushing up with another horrible ugly bloke --click -on goes the handcuffs, this is for eternity.

The last woman is walkin very carefully almost shuffling her way around untill St peter comes rushing up and handcuffs on to her this beautifull young man, blond hair blue eys. Oh my goodness says the woman stroking back her hair and straightening her eye brows, what ever have I done to deserve you she asked.

Well I dont know about you but I just stood on a duck.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.