Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 11-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Rep: 2063 Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Ifeel sorry for catbuilder half Italian and half Irish geez, can you walk passed a Jewlers without throwing a brick through the window?

Only thing worse that that is half German and French ---man--I have met one of those and belive me it is as bad as you coud immagine.
The craziest woman I know is my older brother's last wife, and she had a Polish father and English mother. Strangely enough, she's also one of the best cooks I've ever run into, with an unerring talent for seasoning; she uses just the right amount of the right spices in the right combination. Dunno where she learned that, but I doubt it was from dear old mum...

Old 11-08-2011, 10:59 AM

Rep: 101 Posts: 138
I know that British food gets a lot of negative rep, but I had one home cooked meal outside of Cirencester in '91 and it was incredibly delicious.
The dessert is what sticks out in my mind today. Some type of cake, filled with sweet and tangy fruit. The instant it hit my tongue, it just melted into a yummy goo.

The cook was extraordinary person though. She was a Brit agent in WW2, being dropped in France to work with the Resistance on multiple occasions. Remarkable woman, so I guess her cooking would be too.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:46 AM

Rep: 2063 Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I know that British food gets a lot of negative rep, but I had one home cooked meal outside of Cirencester in '91 and it was incredibly delicious.
The dessert is what sticks out in my mind today. Some type of cake, filled with sweet and tangy fruit. The instant it hit my tongue, it just melted into a yummy goo.

The cook was extraordinary person though. She was a Brit agent in WW2, being dropped in France to work with the Resistance on multiple occasions. Remarkable woman, so I guess her cooking would be too.
I was pretty much joking about English cooking. But I think that at its best it depends on simplicity and letting the natural flavors of the food come through, rather than on complex seasoning.

For example, what kind of spices do you really need for a proper roast beef with Yorkshire pudding? I normally don't go near one with anything but salt and pepper, although sometimes I go crazy and add a little garlic powder.

edit: I forget who it was, but I once read some famous Frenchman's horrified account of an English dinner he endured. He described the centerpiece of the meal as a huge lump of meat, burnt on the outside and raw in the middle.

Sounds good to me....
Old 11-08-2011, 07:41 PM

Rep: 1324 Posts: 734
"So long as men die, liberty shall not perish"

"You the people have the power"

"Let us fight for a world of reason"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcvjo...layer_embedded
Old 11-08-2011, 07:57 PM

And now it looks like Berlusconi is out as well:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7A72NG20111109
Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 PM
Previous Member

Should be put in prison. Bankrupts the country, lives like a king then runs away to retire im more luxury. The rest,-- work,--- taxes and austerity.

Funny old world init?
Old 11-08-2011, 08:59 PM

indeed
Old 11-08-2011, 10:05 PM

Rep: 692 Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Should be put in prison. Bankrupts the country, lives like a king then runs away to retire im more luxury. The rest,-- work,--- taxes and austerity.

Funny old world init?
Same as every polititian in every bankrupt Eu country, none have ever attempted to fix their problems just keep it going till they retire and the children can deal with the problem.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:11 PM

Rep: 2142 Posts: 2,593
Quote:

Funny old world init?
Sure is!
In most countries the imprisonment rate of politicians is much greater than average, but people still keep voting them in!
Old 11-10-2011, 11:38 AM

US trade deficit down.
Looks like the GDP growth will be revised somewhat higher:

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...tory?track=rss

We are also continuing to see an improvement in job numbers:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mone...to-390000.html

Baby steps.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:14 AM

You have to love it.
Lets make this as serious as possible but still leave a bit of wiggle room if we can't sort it out:

"there are two reasons why that sequester may not occur: Lawmakers may choose to amend or repeal the cuts; or they may use the year they'll have before the cuts kick in to come up with a comparable deficit-reduction plan"
http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/18/news...ebt_committee/
Old 12-02-2011, 08:06 AM

have you seen the bond interst rates this week for EU countries...
I think we need to change the forum name
Old 12-02-2011, 10:31 AM

Rep: 310 Posts: 236
Not all EU countries use the Euro and not all Euro-countries have economic problems and high bond interest rates. Sweden is an example of a EU country not using the Euro which has a strong economy, budget surplus and a low and decreasing national debt that can be financed with low interests.

The economic problems are mostly concentrated to south of the Alps. There is a risk that German, Dutch and Finnish taxpayers loose patience with the Euro-countries in southern Europe, so the Euro collapses and EU is split at the Alps. Europe has come back strong after worse disasters than that so I don't worry too much over it.

Erik
Old 12-02-2011, 10:37 AM

Rep: 1180 Posts: 4,847
You should worry...you trade with Europe. Taxpayers are insignifcant, buisness and their employees will suffer.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 PM

thats what we need
back to Austro Hungarian empire then
I just need to know where Lake Garda will be divided this time?