Some one has to start it, Americas default.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

I was reading some USA publication on environmental home garden/sustainability stuff, and the getting of permits to capture the rainwater off their roof was a hassle I just left it as a "jaw dropper" upon a brief explanation that the county had secured the water-rights ??? :eek: - - - - - Almost as bad as the local shire where a pet pig was "banned" as it was declared to need 20 acres but you could have 4 sheep and 4 goats on a mere acre... an acre = some 4096 square metres...

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Good idea to swap the fish over at sea , never heard of that one.

There is no Herring left ( kippers) no need to drag the bottom.

3. masalai

masalai masalai

4. masalai

masalai masalai

There used to be an active fleet of 40 odd prawning-trawlers operating out of a marina nearby - in Pumistone Passage, now there is 4 and only 2 working... Most of the leisure boats there do not move...

http://www.moneymorning.com.au/20111028/gain-without-pain.html "Gain Without Pain" - As far as can kicks go, this one was not a bad effort. The question you should ask, though, is how long it will take the market to accept this latest European bailout still doesn’t solve any fundamental problems. It is just a shameless attempt for gain without pain. which follows on the theme about the "Euro rescue of Greece" .... A disputang, = the sort of noise a firecracker makes when it fails to go "BANG" just a spluttering attempt at nothing effective...

5. masalai

masalai masalai

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Seems some in the "mass media" have picked up on the impending financial crisis in the expectation that the "Greek Bailout" was a sham and collapse is inevitable... There is hope, as that means that not all are ZOMBIES....

The things I am reading today include, but are not limited to:-
    http://www.caseyresearch.com/gsd/edition/eric-sprott-silver-attractive-time-buy - - - The "Critical Reads" are MOST IMPORTANT... and detail the ******** of the "Greek Bailout" for what it is - If you don't believe it, sniff and you will smell it... DAMNATION from all sides ... on the faeces that was produced in the EU...
    http://www.gata.org/node/10621
    http://www.gata.org/node/10623
    http://www.caseyresearch.com/cdd/problem-godvernment - - - Some very interesting ideas and thought provoking insights... All would do well to read everything and consider their own 'position' afreash... Funnies are worth the voyage after all the 'serious reading'...
    http://www.dailyreckoning.com.au/its-bank-bashing-season-yeeehaaaw/2011/10/29/ - - - What more needs to be said, and about time "It’s Bank Bashing Season – Yeeehaaaw"
    http://www.moneymorning.com.au/20111029/punting-on-a-melbourne-cup-day-rate-cut.html - - - - In remembrance that Tuesday morning in Australia is the Melbourne Cup...

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

8. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Michael,
    Thanks for the link, I got enthralled by "going Dutch" - this deserves more careful reading... Thanks - it is now on my favourites list for macroeconomic reading...

I am still of the view that the "developed world" is rapidly heading for "hell-in-a-handbasket" and there is NO WAY OUT but to take the medicine, - by accepting the global economic collapse resulting from an absurd faith in fiat-currencies, stupid belief in the cargo-cultism of Keynesian economic theory and fractional reserve banking. - - which is not understood by too many, - - is almost at hand...

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

You're basically making the same doomsday, economic end-of-the-world prophesies I've heard my entire adult life, mostly from gold salesmen. And I'm in my early sixties.

At what point is it OK to give up on people who say, "it's right around the corner; trust me," and get on with our lives?

1 person likes this.
  10. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

I'd say now is a fine time to do so. :)

11. bntii

bntii Senior Member

'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.'

12. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Geeeezuz whats that your smokin.

13. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times The Victorian era was the period of Queen Victoria's ruling from June 1837 to January
    1901. It was a fantastic time for technology and great advancements in an average person’s life; it was also a long period of prosperity for British people as the income of money was increased dramatically. Despite all these good things there were also some disastrous occurrences. In 1848 there was a cholera epidemic and over 2,000 people lost their lives every week, cholera causes vile diarrhoea.In its most severe forms, cholera is one of the most quickly fatal illnesses known, infected patients may die within three hours."

Nope - it was Charles Dickens all those years ago who was smoking stuff - back when they had the good old 'Gold Standard' when every Pound Note promised you an ounce of gold from the Bank of England if you wanted it.

But then, the realisation dawned that Gold was a very bad 'backing' for currency. Heck - just the transport back and forward between European countries to honour inter country purchases, was a nightmare.

Besides - there we lot more valuable things that England owned. The Opium Trade was many times more lucrative, the Trans Atlantic telegraph cable, the naval fleet. England was worth far more than the piles of gold in the Bank Of England.

The idea that 'currency' can only ever represent Precious Metals, is as archaic as the ropes of shell money used by some tribes in Papua New Guinea today.

For those that want to learn something, I found a great site

http://symmetricinfo.org/2011/03/why-did-britain-abandon-the-gold-standard/

14. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

How old are you?

Let me get this straight, your telling me a Yorkshire man born in the cobbled streets of the north about how good olde England was in the early 20 century. Coal mines and Gas lights was a good time was it.

Bare footed chidren sleeping under the wool looms in the mills that I worked in the early 60's for 2 pounds 10 shilling per fking week.

On the British pound it said "I promise to pay the bearer the sum of one pound"

Poverty , hair lice,,---It was just 6 years after the war, I suppose that was a good time too, geezuz.

15. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

No mate - it happened well before that - late 1700's, mid to lat 1800's

"It was the best of times .... " for Queen Victoria, the aristocratic class, and the growing middle class, made of the new professionals who ran the mills, the shipyards, the roads and railways.

"In the beginning banknotes were in huge denominations and kept for investment purposes, they were rarely used in regular commerce. The first standard £10 English banknote didn't see the light of day until the Georgian era, 1759 to be precise; the £5 followed in 1793. In 1797 £1 and £2 notes were introduced and Bank of England stopped reimbursing its banknotes with gold. This was referred to as The Restriction Period, which lasted until 1821, when gold sovereigns took the place of the £1 and £2 bills. These early banknotes carried the name of the payee - the Chief Cashier - and (until 1855) were signed manually. "

"http://hibiscus-sinensis.com/regency/money.htm"