Solar Energy

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Feb 21, 2007.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Cheap solar power poised to undercut oil and gas by half
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtml?xml=/money/2007/02/19/ccview19.xml
    By Ambrose Evans-Pritchard
    Last Updated: 11:31pm GMT 18/02/2007

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I saw that film stuff on tv. They had a roll a few feet wide and 6" in diameter, I guess you just cut off what you need and hook up to it somehow. Rapidly mass produced. A few years ago I read that the trend for solar power was going to be towards less effecient materials that cost so much less that they were a much better value.
    I can see the oil industry buying in or buying up the patents, technology and production and keeping prices comparable to oil. They're just not too happy with the masses having cheap energy. Sam

3. kach22i

kach22i Architect

The place in Troy, Michigan featured in the movie (Sony Films) "Who killed the electric car?" also makes a roof film. They were first bought out by GM to make the EV-1 "Impact" electric car batteries, they then sold their interest to Mobil/Exxon........................so your theory is actual FACT!

4. Antisthenes

Antisthenes Junior Member

i have grown up on sollar power since the early 80's i think it has been a reality since then for me.

and still is now as those same panels work still and are able to provide my need.

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Me too, since the late 40's! Just kidding. Nuclear power is the only one I can think of that doesn't have it's origins in solar energy. Well, I guess geothermal also.
    I read recently where a gallon of gasoline is the equivilent 'energy' of 2000 man hours or something absurd like that. It's going to suck once it's been wasted to scarcity as fuel and we have no cheap substitute to get plastics, resins, etc. from. Sam

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Cab't wait for it to happen (actually get most of my hot water at home from solar cells - not cheap to start but you gotta start somewhere!) and the more we buy the more we help the people who are designing and utilising this stuff - sorts out the world's pollution if nothing else! I believe we have got to go for it - and soon. Unfortunately as stated the oil companies will do everything they can to prevent it and keep their profits up and their control of the world - which despite politicians etc is what's it all about!

bring it on!!

7. Antisthenes

Antisthenes Junior Member

The word gas scares me I only ever burn BioFuels in my cars, a TDI atm.

it's far cheaper to free. it was what the first engine was made to run on, peanut oil.
    & I'm not making carbon monoxide hydrocarbon and I have more power and 55mpg(sometimes 43, I am undefeated cept by one elec. car but my e-bike would beat that guy if i ever got a rematch at least thru a intersection;)) city

OT PS Rhinoceros 4 with Tsplines RULES!