So what happens to the ferry Capt.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ondarvr, Dec 11, 2016.

1. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Thanks for the update Ondarvr. Nice to see the authorities getting it right.

It seems to me that, all in all, the "punishment" fit's the crime. The ferry captain gets a little vacation and some refresher training. Nap Time's owner (I can't call him a captain) gets the fine. It's a shame that the ferry captain had to lose a couple of weeks pay but I'm sure that he'll be able to weather that. Glad to see that the ferry captain wasn't too seriously effected by this as he's so close to retirement and had a clean record up to this point.

2. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I really want to see the incident report on this. Because the news reports simply arenot credible. The MY did not hit the ferry, the ferry hit the MY.

3. jehardiman

jehardiman Senior Member

See my post #16 above

4. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

My bigger question is who is responsible for maintaining the security zone, the ferry or the MY. If I have to guess it is the stand on vessel that has the obligation to maintain it, which in this case was the ferry.

In other words when the ferry is the give way vessel and she crosses closer than the security zone, she has given implicitly the other vessel permission to enter her zone.

I do not think it can be the responsibility of the stand on vessel to maintain the SSZ. The stand on vessel is prevented from maneuvering by COLREGS which remain in effect even inside of a SSZ.

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Judging by the straight line path of the m/y it seems clear to me the ferry got in the way of the m/y, although just barely. If the ferry captain had started reversing just a few seconds earlier it would have been a very 'near hit' kind of thing, but no contact.

The cg ruling was reasonable, although I'd hope a ferry captain responsible for so many people would be a little more attentive.

I am impressed with the m/y, in that it suffered very little damage from the hit. It must be an older boat, newer composite ones would have crumbled a bit more.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.