seek wooden barge plans

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by genetrumbo, Jun 17, 2004.

1. genetrumbo

genetrumbo ex-Peace Corps in Zaire

I was in Zaire(Big Congo now) 1988-91 in the Peace Corps. While there, I became aware of a USAID project to encourage the building of long flat bottom wooden barges from 10-30 meters in length. They were to be powered by 80 horsepower diesel engines. I sought these plans at the time, but I learned that the French naval architect returned to France with the plans. Zaire/Democratic Congo has been a mess since then.

I am looking for similar plans and am thinking of going to South America or Africa to build them. They are similar to barges that are common on the Amazon.

genetrumbo@lycos.com

2. CMARSHALL

CMARSHALL Junior Member

Did you ever find the plans for a flatbottom barge. I am looking for some of the same type of plans.

3. D'ARTOIS

D'ARTOIS Senior Member

Barges

Don't tell me anything about Zaire, I was there in the same period as you were, I stayed at the InterConti. I still freshly remembre the Hercules Transporters on N'Djili Airport and the colossal American Embassy in Kinshasa. I befriended a young girl hat was in your corps that was looking upon the political prisoners of Mobutu.
    In any case, I remember the barges and if you can use plans for steel ones, I can let you have a few drawings of them. If you tell me the length you require
    I'll check it up for you and send it to you on a cd-rom.

4. mackhina

mackhina New Member

Wooden barge design

Hi D'ARTOIS

I was wondering if you would be able to provide a copy of the wooden barge plans? My email address is Micahel.Venz@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au.

I'm doing an assignment for first year Engineering at the University the University for the group engineers without borders. We have to design something that will improve the life of the Cambodian people who live on the Tonle Sap (which is a big lake). Currently they have a big problem with getting rid of there rubbish so they mostly just dump it in the water. I was thinking of trying to design a cheap to build barge out of local materials would allow for them to transport and dispose of their waste.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'll also post a question in the main forum to see if anyone has any ideas.

Cheers

Mick

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.