Seamanship

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Guillermo, Apr 11, 2007.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

going back to the theme of this thread!

I was often told by old Seadogs (mostly off of 'Tribals', too long up the Gulf?) that the practice of good seamanship consisted of the art of going ashore with 30 of the local coins coming back smashed out of your head, having spent the best part of the night with a young lady of easy virtue, and your pockets jangling with some 60 of the local coinage! I'd subscribe to that even tho' I never quite managed it myself!

Few ever did but you live in hope!

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Nah, nah Jack ma wee singin hinnie - I'd only take the piss out of you if you were a virgin.....
    :D

3. safewalrus

didna do much piss taking then Bergalia! as if!! no outa Jack onyway

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

To quote your namesake Walrus, the Ancient Mariner -"Narry a drop...":p

5. safewalrus

Who that pipsqueak of a boy! going round shooting budgies! terrible activity

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

I can assure you Walrus that I, having served on both 'Nubian' and 'Ashanti' that this was not the type of behaviour either I or my shipmates indulged in...So I assume it is some other navy you are referring to. Lichtenstein perhaps, Monte Carlo or Tibet maybe. Or remind me, does the US have a navy ? :confused:

7. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

Seamanship.

As a last resort and when all else has failed, read the instructions. These will tell you that if you want to get home safely, you should not start from your present situation and location.

After that, only elimination from the gene pool is left.:p :p :p

Pericles

8. Delta

Delta Junior Member

Yeah, back in the day I really looked forward to that next Tristan Jones book. (What was the name of his one-legged dog?) Of course, there was a lot of BS built in but since we're talking seamanship, does anyone know the difference between a sea story and a fairy tale? Of course, there was the time I was on an LNG ship back in the 70's in 100 foot seas in the N. Atlantic...and that ain't no sea story.:)

9. safewalrus

Delta if you were on LNG ships anywere you have my respect - in my view the practice of good seamanship included (and still does) the avoidance of any LPG at all times! Ever wondered why ships always gave you a wide berth! :D Still it was good if you wanted to stop smoking one way or another!:p :D

10. safewalrus

Bergalia mate does the US have a Navy:confused: Yes but it's pretty er! US:D

11. Delta

Delta Junior Member

Oh ancient mariner: LNG is cryogenic and carried at -257 degree farenheit while LPG is not as dangerous nor "as cold.". Interestingly, the specific gravity of LNG is about .5 and thus you see these large ships with mucho freeboard: thus 100' seas are not even an issue. The cargo burns off while in transit and on the steam turbine ships I was on the burnoff was fired to supplement the bunkers. While the job I have now is cool, at the time, they were the most sophisticated ships afloat. This is no sea story!

12. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

The one-legged dog (sea variety) was Tristran - amputated below the knee. The name of the four-legged variety was 'Rambo'.:)

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I had a one legged dog,it was damaged due to some one slamming the car door on it. He had one eye and an ear ripped off in another car accident.

Half of his fur was missing due to an accident with a hot pan in the kitchen ,--his name was "lucky"

14. Small Wally

Small Wally Junior Member

I had a no-legged dog called "Woodbine".

I used to put a leash around his neck and take him out for a drag...

SW

15. Delta

Delta Junior Member

Sorry, I meant three legged dog!!!! All my books are in storage in CO.....driving me crazy!!!!! Hey, it was all BS but I had a tear in my eye when he described the dog biting it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.