Sealers Trapped in Ice-Pack

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by timgoz, Apr 21, 2007.

1. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Thanks LL.

1 person likes this.
  2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

No difference between grocery food and the hand-clubbed variety. I don't kill the animals personally, nor do the ones who do hand-club necessarily build their own shelters---- in a sense, I build them for them, and someone else kills the cows to make my steak.
    It struck me as odd that seals have been humanized but other animals have not.
    I am no expert on the process, but I know that I've seen few demonstrations protesting the way they raise cows, pigs, and other livestock.
    In any case, I don't know of any seal farms, which is good.
    Plants may have consciousness too, for all I know. Some claim to have proven that.
    Worms eat humans. Almost every animal eventually becomes another animal or plant's food.
    Supermarkets are A-ok and so is hunting or whatever process keeps us eating and hence living. I prefer that any animal killed has lived a good life, and modern culture tends to hide their raising and killing processes when they are cruel. Clubbing may not be as horrible as keeping a man on death row for years to contemplate the grisly details of his public revenge death, a long drawn out and inescapable anticipation of horror, the fact of which is not counted at all as significant by the public in general.
    But I see a strong reaction regarding the seals. Also a concern for the men, not necessarily from the same people.
    We and the animals, the seals who kill fish without a whit of concern for their pain, we are the same. Just getting by, making mistakes sometimes, but generally just living the best way we can.

A.

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

well you certainly are not a redneck,
    Good life, yes , but thing is these pups barily started life
    i think I,m not so much protesting the kill, but the sort of macho, thug that does it .I mean , one would have to be some sort of drooling rednecked, senseless and insensitive excuse for a human, to do this sort of thing Thye are not killing for food, they are killing because they are unfit to do anything else?
    Full bloody stop

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Yeah, they are babies. I don't eat babies personally, and I used to really love veal, but I couldn't be a part of the way calves were raised. God, I used to love veal!
    No. I agree it's not something I support. I just question the disconnect in other areas equally unworthy of support that are not mentioned.
    The world is full of cruelness and senseless killing. Not always so well chronicled. A thousand babies may die because of budget cuts in prenatal care, and instead the money goes to abstinence programs that do not even work. Babies are killed statistically every day, and nobody sees the connection.
    Its a matter of balance.

A.

5. Mychael

Mychael Mychael

A human is on death row or in prison because he/she made a "conscious choice" to do wrong. They got caught and now they are punished. End of story.
    There have been demonstrations and actions in Australia at various times about battery egg farming and also about the conditions that breeding pigs are subjected to. ANY FORM OF CRUELTY TO ANY ANIMAL IS WRONG!!!.. They cannot speak out for themselves so others speak out for them.
    I am a Paramedic by proffession, not because I have an overdeveloped sense of duty to my fellow man, I am just good at it. I'll do my best to help the sick and injured but in the end it's mankinds lifestyle choices that bring about their grief so I don't feel sorry for them. Animals feeding off animals is a natural lifecycle, but only mankind makes a proffession out of mass slaughters.

Mychael

6. rayk

rayk Senior Member

:pYour petticoat is showing lazeyjack
    Your post sums up your own nemesis.

7. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

SURE , LADY SEE THE SCARS ON MY BODY THRU A LIFETIME OF HARD WORK dont judge

8. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

and dont EVER wind me up else I will come there and show you my petticoat DIPSTICK!!

9. rayk

rayk Senior Member

lazeyjack, you tell me not to judge.
    I dont imagine sealers coming around to visit you...after your harsh characterisation of them, and judgement of their labour.
    And yet you are revved up so easily.

Get a grip mate. You are jibbering. Out your arse.

10. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

As of this morning there are 82 boats remaining in the ice pack. The pressure is easing and one more icebreaker has been added to assist. Five boats have been abandoned and at least one is expected to sink once the ice begins to move out. Three are holed by the ice and salvage crews are planning to patch them if possible. Most boats remaining are reporting critically low fuel and stores. Non-essential crew have been, for the most part, taken ashore.

It's going to be a busy day for the crews on the remaining boats!

11. Poida

Poida Senior Member

What we have here is a cultural difference. And the argument that we have here is an argument that I have seen on another international forum.

Australians are brought up not to kill wildlife. In fact it would be illegal for me to kill a snake.

The only time wildlife is killed is for culling reasons so they do not all die from lack of food and this culling is done by professional shooters to ensure that a clean shot is more likely to end the life quickly.

The meat we eat is farmed, and the animal is put down as quickly as possible.

We are not crybabies or girls as you would like to put it, that type of remark is best suited to the gang members who don't believe they are a man until they have killed an innocent member of the public.

And we will always express our views on this type of subject.

Poida

12. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

KnottyBuoyz,

It is looking up. Checked the weather for St. Anthony, Red Bay, and Northern Arm. All have pretty good winds forecast with south, southwest, and west components. They may get out quicker than expected.

Take care and have a good day, everyone else also.

TGoz

13. alan white

alan white Senior Member

But some forms of cruelty to humans is okay? Humans are animals too. If they were alswys conscious of their choices, why would they kill for no reason?
    Regarding the rest, if this thread had started out talking about hundreds of cattle farmers who were missing in a blizzard, would there have been a response justifying their dangerous circumstances as just desserts for the killers of veal calves, cattle fattening techniques, etc.? That was my point.

A.

14. kach22i

kach22i Architect

For next time.......................................................

Russian:
    http://www.hovercraft.ru/argo_en.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

American (Sevtec):
    http://www.amphibiousmarine.com/index.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Airboats are popular around here and on the Great Lakes.

[​IMG]

I've got some pics of an old 4 man hovercraft at work. I'll post them tomorrow.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.