Seacock Question

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Delta, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Delta

Delta Junior Member

Forgive me if this question is inappropriate here.

Started trying to free up a lot of my WC bronze seacocks on the thirty-year old boat that some have not been exercised for since I moved to the mountains a decade ago. After many coatings of the 'ol PB Blaster penetrating oil I still couldn't free them and I ended up having to spin several off their thru hull base. Now, I suppose I could soak them for a month or so but the pipe fittings and elbows are ridiculously corroded. So, thinking about just going about changing out to the Groco type and I have a question for you experts. Has there been enough experience on their PVS system types that have the strainer built right into the seacock? Am I kidding myself that I would be able to eliminate having two parts (seacock and strainer) between the inlet and the appropriate pump? Of course, I am such a neophyte I'll probably have to have them installed by the yard as I am scared to death of anything below the water line.:eek: I know nada about proper bedding along these lines. Do the strainer/seacock combos even come with the fittings affixed so all I need to do is double clamp the hose to it? Appreciate any help. Sorry I'm an old idiot and please let me know if I am out of line.:?:

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

I have a copyright on being an idiot, anyone else claims to be an idiot I will take legal action.

I am not an expert on seacocks, I don't even sound a bit rude to me.

I have a strainer fitted to the bottom of the hull and I think that is important so there is a flow of water across it to prevent or impede obstructions being sucked into the inlet hose.

A strainer inside the seacock as I think you are suggesting would not stop the obstruction until it had entered the intake and then could not be dislodged by the flow of the water along the hull.

I'm not sure if PVS is = to our PVC ie plastic fittings, I have one and is very thick plastic and would take a fair thumping to break. I feel better to know you have a fitting that is not just about corroded through than worry about the million to one chance that somehow your plastic fitting is going to get hit by something.

I think the wall thickness on my seacock is thicker that the wall thickness on plastic boats.

Or maybe I'm well off course here.

Poida

3. Delta

Delta Junior Member

Thanks, Poida, but I'm talking about Groco's system of incorporating the bronze seacock with the strainer as one piece.:)

4. charmc

charmc Senior Member

I think maybe you're referring to the Groco BVS (means ball valve w/strainer) type. I don't have any 1st hand experience with them, although the design looks well done. I think the inside connection is a female NPT, maybe screw in a male coupling then clamp hose to that. One caution: the thing is pretty bulky, incorporating 2 elements into one, looks like you would need 18"/.4m of clear space from the hull opening.

Here's a link to more info:
    http://www.groco.net/images/seacocks/06-bvs-sck.asp

Poida,

Be advised that your idiot copyright is good only in Australia; I and many others are vying for the exclusive rights in the US! :D :D

5. Delta

Delta Junior Member

yeah, charm, my bad: BVS. Seems too good to be true!!!! Thanks.

6. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Poida's point is well taken about the external strainer. I would hope your boat has an external strainer fitted (it's nearly flush, can be slotted or perforated plate). Many times the seacock and external strainer flanges are the same size, so they are throughbolted and help secure each other. The internal strainer is a mesh screen type, it's a good backup for the small junk that that goes right through the external strainer.