Sailing craft from Rome to the 16th century

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Aeroskip, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Aeroskip

Aeroskip New Member

Hello, my friends!

I am attempting to do research on sailing craft from the fall of Rome on through to the 16th century. The purpose of this research is so that I can recreate some of these old boats using the techniques used then. I am a part of the Society for Creative Anachronism (www.sca.org), a reinacting group, and I figured that it would be a great thing to recreate.

However, my local library is woefully lacking in resources. The only book on boats that they had was a children's book about a guy who sang about boats. Not exactly what I'm in search of. So, I've happened across this forum, and I am now hoping that you all can help point me in the right direction. My searches on-line have found me many boat designs, but all of them were modern.

I will continue on with my searching, but I figured I could drop a line here and see if anyone knew anything related. I am looking for just about anything that can help me. Pictures, manuscripts, diagrams, blueprints, etc... Resources!

Thanks everyone!
    Nathanial

2. LaurenTx

LaurenTx New Member

So I'm clearly crazy but... are you still alive??

3. Mikthestik

Mikthestik Junior Member

The book you want is Conways history of the ship "The age of the Galley"mik:)

4. Mikthestik

Mikthestik Junior Member

Did a Yahoo picture search. If you don't want to buy the book hundreds of pictures to be had mik Galleydevcelopment.jpg