Rowing

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by sinisa, Jul 2, 2007.

1. sinisa

sinisa Junior Member

Hi, my name is Sinisa Bogdanovic, and I am a student of Naval Dept. on University of Mechanics in Belgrade. Wright now I am doing my Diploma thesis about rowing racing boats. I have many problems because there is not much sources about this subject. There is one I know, and it is from 1967, written by Prof. Willicome and titled “Report on resistance experiments carried out on three racing shells”. I couldn’t find any other, so I am interested if anyone can help me with this, or provide me by any other book, or document considering this subject. This is my e-mail, so if there is anyone also interested in this, can write me a letter, so we could make contact.
    bogdanovic82@hotmail.com

2. thudpucker

thudpucker Senior Member

You probably have your info by now, but if not, I'd check into the Ivy league schools, princton, yale, harvard and the U.S. Naval academy.

I've been rowing since 1946. I have a great deal of experience, but not one whit of education.

3. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

This is a good place to start:
    http://www.cyberiad.net/rowing.htm

You should work through this material carefully. It is authorative work. You may not need to look elsewhere if you take it all in.

You can get free software from this site called Michlet and it has a hull optimising component called Godzilla. Godzilla takes a lot of guess work out of hull design for boats operating in calm conditions.

The software is not for school girls (not my words). It requires some reading of manuals and attention to detail but extremely rewarding once you have mastered it.

Rick W.

4. sinisa

sinisa Junior Member

Dear Sir
    Thank you for answering me on the Forum. Also, I am glad that you have been rowing for so long time. I am also a rower, but I was not racing for the last 5 years (My rowing club is Graficar, Belgrade), and now I am just training for my personal satisfaction. I am sure that rowing is one of the most pleasant sport (for me definitely). Please, if you find any more information about this, please send me. I will do my best to finish my work, so we could have a one good document about this subject.
    Best regards
    Sinisa Bogdanovic

5. sinisa

sinisa Junior Member

Dear Sir
    Thank you for your information, but I am already familiar with that site, and conclusion they made. Mr. Zukauskas and his associates went even one step further and did the total observation and analyses of rower’s body movement during the stroke, and predicted the final racing time, which is all for respect. But, I need to know the mathematical model of measuring and prediction of the wave resistance on racing shells, which they left. I will try to find some more information about this, and when I finish my work, I would be very glad to send you.
    Best Regards
    Sinisa Bogdanovic

6. Guest625101138

Sinisa
    The Michlet software I referred to above has the Computational Fluid Dynamics component for calculating the wave drag and includes calculations for the viscous drag. You do not need to do more than download the software and work out how to use it. It can provide the total drag versus speed for any particular hull and you can even generate images of the wave pattern. It is very powerful software and you should take the time to understand it.

Rick W.

7. sinisa

sinisa Junior Member

Yes, it can calculate the total drag versus speed, but I need to know each component of the total drag.
    Best Regards, Sinisa

8. Guest625101138

If you open the ship_output_by_speed.mlt file using your text editor there is a table with what you want. Scan across to the right of the table and you will see all the components of drag and the total drag.

9. sinisa

sinisa Junior Member

O.K., You convinced me to take time and understand that program. Greetings, Sinisa!!!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.