Riverboating

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by elsteveo, Feb 11, 2006.

1. elsteveo

elsteveo New Member

Hello to all
    I'm thinking of building a boat suitable for use on the North Platte river in Wyoming. The river can be pretty shallow in places (< 2"). What I have in mind is something that doesn't draw much water that can be powered by a shallow water outboard motor ( "Go-Devil", "Backwater" brand etc.). I'm looking at between 10 and 20 horsepower.

I don't know much about boats or boat building but I am a very accomplished woodworker. Any suggestions regarding boat style, length etc? Does anyone have experience with surface drive or shallow water outboards? What's the best method of construction?

Thanks in advance for the input.

2. trouty

trouty Guest

Wyoming

Aren't they trout rivers?

I thought you used like a big wood banana shaped "drift boat" to fish that sort of water - least thats what I saw used in a movie on fishing for trout in the Snake River..(Idaho?)..sorry not good on your geography!.

Failed geography but married the blond gal who sat next to me!..wish now I'd passed geography and just shagged the blond gal - but ya get that!:p

Most shallow runners seem to go with a jet drive leg on a outboard if underwater debris (rocks and logs etc) are a problem - but the guys down louisana way seem to use some kinda surface peircing gator engine for chewin up mud in the bayou's (sp?).

I guess it comes back to the kinda water you got and the type of fishing you do..

Can you tell us more..(pics?)..

Does it have to be able to outrun bears?

Do two men need to be able to carry it over beaver dams etc?

You can see I know diddly squat 'bout Wyoming(sp?)...cept it's cowboy country aint it? (Maybe you just need a fishing rod and a horse?) :confused:

Cheers!

3. elsteveo

elsteveo New Member

Problem with jet drives is they tend to suck crap off the bottom and tear up the impeller. I have a couple of jet skis and they run well in shallow water but you have to keep the speed up. If you slow down off plane and then hit the throttle in the shallow you can tear things up pretty good.

4. elsteveo

elsteveo New Member

I'd like to build something along the lines of a flat bottom "jon" boat but I don't know how well suited they are to the kind of motor Trouty is referring to. Thats what I'd like to install. Any advice?

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

If it's that shallow why you wanna build a boat? Surely a jeep would be easier to use (faster too!):?:

Even your horse wouldn't have much problem with that!

7. elsteveo

elsteveo New Member

Its only shallow in places. Some spots are over your head. Besides I've been dying to build a boat. So back to the question... What is the best boat to build that would be powered by a surface drive outboard. Lets stay on track people

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Elsteveo, click on my icon and drop me an IM or email, I have just what you're looking for.

9. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I worked hard on that thread (was a lot of fun - good stuff in it), everyone should read it.:D

Hovercraft.....................the other white meat.

10. kach22i

kach22i Architect

11. safewalrus

"that's the way to do it" puncherello from any Punch & Judy show you want!

12. kach22i

kach22i Architect

13. safewalrus

A Good Royal Marine cox'n would get that bloody motorised contraceptive further up the bloody beach without the wheels!:rolleyes:

14. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Why would the marine wanna have their flippers out da water in the first place?........................Landlocked and waiting for the tides?:D:D:D

15. safewalrus

Just coming back from Limbang mate!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.