Recommend a good cutting tool for building boat

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by denniswang, Jan 9, 2006.

1. denniswang

denniswang New Member

I think the opetrol gasoline is a good cutting tool ,if it is need for building boat. the opetrol gasoline cutting torch is safe and saves up to 90% on fuel cost,and gasoline is available in every gas station.

For more details you can visit http://www.opetrol.com

2. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

I think you're a spammer.

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Well, first time I've seen this and amazingly enough I'm impressed, frightened, but impressed!!:cool:

Initially (having done a small amount of 'gas' burning myself over the years) I was sceptical! The thought of adding petrol/gasoline to oxygen as a cutting medium sent shivers down my spine! But looking at the website It would appear that the Chinese have come up with a brilliant system to reduce price safely in metal cutting, which has got to be good! However I am a little concerned that all the 'write ups' are from Chinese agencies only. :( I'd like to see some from other parts of the world, but maybe it hasn't got to them yet!! Wouldn't mind having a go at this myself and see how well it compares - my job, Health and Safety Advisor on a Construction site! :( see if you can sell this to the British Health and Safety Commision! I think they'd have babies at the thought of it, don't mean it's wrong but........

Skippy if he is, he's a good one! Care to blow yourself up first! :D Ok so it's inovative but no more so than some of the buggers in the design section! And it could work! :p

4. safewalrus

Quick check around the houses after Skippy's comment, and can only find one reference to oxy-petrol cutting systems! BUT a good one! OMEA paper on the choice of equipment for cutting up defunct North Sea Oil Platforms. Appears that tests were done to find a remote control sytem to cut up large hunks of metal on the seabed by remote control. and guess what oxy-petrol equipment came out on top! Brief explanation of the system (fits the 'opetrol' site description given above) but no further information! so it does exist! Lets see if I can find more about it! :cool: :D

5. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

high pressured oxygen is very funny......... it react to greese amd combustable liquid.and !BANG!!!!........ meaning it may work but risk is higher.

We are talking about discipline of the worker all over the world in handling gasoline and oxygen. dont think safety officer would approve it.

Acetylene and oxygen mixed not burn ........ no problem........:):):)

6. Wellydeckhand

The gasoline torch just substitute propane in heating and cutting............ When it come to welding then ol Acetylene still does the trick.......... :D:D:D

So it will be alooooong time before the world change to gasoline torch...... cheap doesnt mean safe......:D:D:D

7. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

My days of oxy cutting are long gone..can't even cut a good straight line now.Anyway that package do looks good.Possibly only the petrol are pressurised..jet it through a ventury with small hole on the tube body where base on Bernoulli principle air will be suck in and mix with the fuel..atomised at the burner tip..introduced source of ignition..woosh it will be lighted.Good fuel pressure and clean jet hole is very important, air can be manipulated by using the regulator/valve knob. Seen this type of burner a lot in the natural draft furnaces that run on fuel gas..pressurised kerosene lamp and stove use the same principle.Maybe the burner tip itself actually functioned as liquid fuel heater to turn liquid fuel into gas for burning purpose.

8. Wellydeckhand

Ari ,
    That 100 % correct because we are the few last people wanting to use kerosene lamp.
    Gasoline have higher octane level....... thus dangerous...... u cannot get permission to use it in most fab shop because of old school thikin and SOP of most comapny havent got the product incl.
    It take time for this product to earn trust....... for now only people that wanna cut cost or home user would try their feline 9 lives.
    I would sell the stuff but use it?................. flame not too hot and the cut is poor........ thats my verdict:D:D:D

9. safewalrus

Safety? A thing is only Dangerous as long as you forget it's dangerous! Once you know the risks and precautions Necessary and TAKE THEM, ALL THE TIME it's perfectly safe! Forget that and it's big Boom time, bang bang! I CAN see the ptential for this gear and I bet it's safer to store than acetylene!:cool:

Oh yes, and I am a Safety Officer!!! Not lost anyone yet but I'm working on it!

10. Ari

Ari Patience s/o Genius

Oxy acetylene cutter is something I'am more used to.Never seen this product before, good though somebody mentioned about it here so that I'am informed when it reach our area.:). Next major Turnaround Project at my place will be somewhere in 2009..just "forget that" for a milisecond..with groups of welders, grinders,cutters in close environment of confine space..ahh..what a recipe..:rolleyes:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.