Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Now, this is sailing...

(From thre June edition of Yachting World magazine)

Attached Files:

• YM2.JPG
      YM2.JPG
      File size:
      346.2 KB
      Views:
  2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

"Incrediable Washing Machine", the chop from hell more like it.:D

3. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

Crazy picture of a person got concussion from too many bad rep

Seeing is believing, his friend was nice enough to redeco the fainted guy....... too many bad rep does make faint possible........:)

Attached Files:

4. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

And here are his kids.... :)

Attached Files:

5. hansp77

hansp77

If you look real close,
    I think you will notice that the older one has rather skillfully drawn a boat right in the middle of the younger ones forehead. (bowsprit, short mast and a fishing line out the back with a shark snagged on from the belly- dah..)
    like I said on http://boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11598

Medusaboat.
    Take note..

6. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

LOL ....... Lucky to have creative kids....... beautiful children...... is it yours?:)

7. SailDesign

No - mine are all grown up and producing grandchildren. The ones in the pic belong to a friend from a mountain-biking group. Lucky soul... :)

8. Small Wally

Small Wally Junior Member

"No - mine are all grown up and producing grandchildren."

Now there's a good trick, medically speaking

9. SailDesign

You know what I meant, Wally :) (why am i so tempted to replace that "a" with an "i"?.....)

10. SeaSpark

SeaSpark -

11. hansp77

hansp77

Thats some crazy footage SeaSpark.

Now I am not exactly a well experienced sailor, but I am most definately a well experienced surfer. While I do not know boats from head to tail, what I do know is wind, waves, and salt water, and how they interact.

If I was to have to say whether that footage was real or not, then I would say that it is either real, or it has been rather well faked.

If it is real, as the wind speed and direction and degree of heeling of the boat seem to tindicate, being parrellel, then it is a most remarkable peice of film.
    What I would like to see is the next 30 seconds of footage when the next wave in the set would properly catch the boat, dump it and beach it.

Either this or it has been rather well faked. While there does seem to be some sort of dogy pixel stuff going on around the boat, the real conditions that would surround a thing that big in that swell and foam, would explain this also.

So my vote,
    yes.
    It is real.

but either way that surfer is both crazy/stupid and brilliant/lucky...

12. Vega

Vega Senior Member

No, I don't think so. The moment that massive wave fell over him, only two things could have happened:

Either the weight would force him way down and rolling widely with the water turmoil, or he would have been projected immediately out of the wave and have flown, falling some meters in front of the wave.

What the film shows is that he is some seconds in that turmoil and then he manages to go out of it. I don't believe it would have been possible with all those tons of water falling over him.

13. hansp77

hansp77

There is a third option.

Vega,
    the two options you mention are probably the most likely when a wave breaks upon you.
    The first option, getting pushed down, is when it lands on you and squeezes you back and down,
    the second option is where it lands on you, so that when the pressure and water bounces back up, it picks you up with it.
    There is also another option, and it is what I think has happened here-
    when the lip lands on or just behind you, but instead this time when the pressure and water bounce back up it only just hits you- not directly enough to launch you in the air, but with enough force that it propels you forward rather than up.
    When this happens you sort of have to lean back into it so that it doesn't push you over forward, but not too much back so that it lifts you up.
    If you get it right then it practically jets you forward, and if you haven't made it clear back onto the face of the wave yet you have the chance to do the same at the next bounce up of the white wash. Waves don't just break once- at least in terms of pressure and energy impact.
    this happens like this \/\/\/\/\, (the comma is the surfer about to get jetted foreward again)
    On a wave this size then it is not surprising that he remained invisable for a while. Anywhere near the impact there is a lot of finer spray that will cover everything, especially as there was a howling onshore (part sideshore) wind.

It is this bouncing that needs to be understood if you want to surf big waves. I used to surf what I consider big waves- at least once third the size of this one- and even in my peak you could not have paid me to paddle out in surf that big- let alone catch one that size.
    If you time your duckdive under the wave (dipping and pushing the nose of your board under an oncoming white wash and following with your body, down then under and up) then even a 10ft plus wave may feel like nothing. If you time it wrong then something like a 3ft wave will smash you like a sledghammer, possibly giving you a free neck and back adjustment at the same time. CRAckcruch...
    Both have happended to me many times.

Personally I have no doubt that the surfing footage is real.
    What was more doubtfull to me was whether the boat in the background was real or not.
    What made me think it was real was that the boat was heeled over in the correct direction as to what the wind, waves, and spray indicate it should be.

So thats my bit.
    Hans.

14. Vega

Vega Senior Member

I don't know Hans, it seems to good to be true, but doesn't matter.

Take a look at this one:

It is not needed a big boat to sail fast.:D

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2026225189941762547&q=surf (no longer active)

Or this one, small cats going fast...and crashing:p

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5911305540688731161&q=surf (no longer active)

15. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

It seems every crash the front dug in and tripped the boat. How could that be fixed? Sam

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.