Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

If genocidal tyrants didn't intercept the grain that we sent to those unfortunates they would not all have starved, and in fact their famine was mostly caused by deliberate deprivation from the outset..

2. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

If we do not get Nuclear power going safely for our energy needs everybody will be stuffed.
    New Clear Power for me, that`s my bet for our salvation.

3. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Desperately trying to get noticed in some cases.....

4. SukiSolo

SukiSolo Senior Member

Actually it's BMW and only the car division....;)

5. Woobs

Woobs Junior Member

Yes, you are correct.... VW owned the brand from 1998 to 2002... now it's BMWs property. I just remember the justification of the old Rolls grille Beetles that were finally said to be legit... Lol.

Attached Files:

6. myark

myark Senior Member

Hi Tom
    Just across the bay in the picture I have taken from my apartment is 2×984 MW nuclear power station.

I saw a documentary 20 odd years ago of a small nuclear power station that would power a small town that is considered safe and if blew up would cause little damage and easily to control.
    If the large nuclear power station across the bay blew up I would get radiation poison.

Attached Files:

7. myark

myark Senior Member

In the future we might have nuclear “generators” that don’t create nuclear waste. These so called nuclear-powered laser-turbine electricity generators will only produce harmless thorium as waste material, and are something very different from traditional nuclear reactors.

These truly sci-fi devices are developed by Laser Power Systems LLC. They use sub-critical thorium as their power source.

The car manufacturer Cadillac seems to be very enthusiastic over the idea. They have in fact developed a concept car fuelled by thorium.

LPS currently has several prototypes of its thorium-powered laser-turbine generator, among them a 250 kilowatt unit that could substitute for an automobile engine. The automobile could be delivered with enough fuel to last its entire lifetime, since about one gram of thorium is the equivalent of about 7500 gallons of gasoline.

The thorium-fueled laser-turbine electricity generator is protected by 20 patents. According to LPS, thorium is four to five times more abundant than uranium.
    http://www.energynews24.com/2011/09/nuclear-generators-the-real-green-energy

Attached Files:

8. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Myark..Not many people know that Radiation it`s self is not the problem but it IS the Free Radicals that do the damage and there are plenty of free radicals created (just by breathing and smoking) by many other natural causes other than nuclear radiation,it is going on every where all over the universes, and this causes aging among other things.

Like Global warming no one has got the correct conclusive evidence about Nuclear problems. Google free radicals.

9. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Seems like you fell for one of the oldest cons in a long list of claptrap about
    thorium.

I knew I'd seen that car somewhere before...

"So if you want to see how completely bogus this story is, you need to go
    back to its real origins, in 2008.

You see that fancy picture up at the top of the article? That’s what LPS
    says it wants to build.
    And where did that come from? It was an art project.

That’s right, an art project."

https://matter2energy.wordpress.com/2013/11/11/thorium-laser-car-my-***/

10. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Myark, what are those white things way out in the bay of the first picture you posted earlier? Some kind of aquaculture?

11. myark

myark Senior Member

Hi Sam

They are floats for the ouster farm which I thought was several hundred acres but are actually several thousand acres when explore the rest of the bay that load tons of ousters each day onto large trucks.
    I am surprised the run off drains pollution from the city does not affect them the same as the other day I watched locals running nets across the bottom of a river dam that runs through the city towards the sea which they had buckets and some sacks full of fresh water fish of all shapes and sizes.

Attached Files:

12. myark

myark Senior Member

Hi Leo Lazauskas

I did not fall for it but could see one day some form of similar power that can be harnessed for energy at a low cost to the environment.

100 years ago it was unthinkable that a human can walk on the moon

13. myark

myark Senior Member

http://www.economist.com/news/scien...tages-floating-nuclear-power-stations-all-sea

THERE are many things people do not want to be built in their backyard, and nuclear power stations are high on the list. But what if floating reactors could be moored offshore, out of sight? There is plenty of water to keep them cool and the electricity they produce can easily be carried onshore by undersea cables. Moreover, once the nuclear plant has reached the end of its life it can be towed away to be decommissioned. Unusual as it might seem, such an idea is gaining supporters in America and Russia.

The idea is not new. In the late 1960s Sturgis, a converted Liberty ship containing a 10MW nuclear reactor, was used to provide electricity to the Panama Canal Zone, which faced a power shortage. In the 1970s there was a plan to build 1,200MW nuclear power stations off America’s east coast. These would float on giant concrete barges surrounded by a breakwater. The scheme got as far as constructing a huge manufacturing yard near Jacksonville, Florida. But the idea faced opposition and was scrapped, in part because of technical and regulatory uncertainties. A newer generation of floating nuclear reactors would be safer and cheaper, but they are still unlikely to set sail without a fight.

Attached Files:

14. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Sure you didn't. That's why you told us how many patents were in place. The
    car story is a total fiction and you tried to convince us it is an important
    development, the way of the future.

Here's more from the article: (Note the Cadillac's name at the end!)

Loren Kulesus, a designer of super cool skateboards and guitars, drew up the
    design for the “World Thorium Fuel” concept car, which looks super cool like
    the rest of his work.

And to go with it, he said it would be really neato if the car lasted 100 years,
    you know, because it’s the 100th anniversary. So he put together a bunch
    of technobabble words like “thorium” and “laser” in the write-up.

That’s it. He just made it up. And it’s not like anyone hid this fact, and tried
    to pretend it was real or anything. It was clear right from the start this was
    just an art project.

Consider the acronym. That’s the Cadillac WTF.

15. myark

myark Senior Member

I personally did not say how many patents it had, it was cut and pasted from the link I provided that said a possible future as in boats that have nuclear powered engines are existing today.

Nuclear-Powered Ships
    http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/Non-Power-Nuclear-Applications/Transport/Nuclear-Powered-Ships/
    (Updated October 2015)

•Nuclear power is particularly suitable for vessels which need to be at sea for long periods without refueling, or for powerful submarine propulsion.
    •Over 140 ships are powered by more than 180 small nuclear reactors and more than 12,000 reactor years of marine operation has been accumulated.
    •Most are submarines, but they range from icebreakers to aircraft carriers.
    •In future, constraints on fossil fuel use in transport may bring marine nuclear propulsion into more widespread use. So far, exaggerated fears about safety have caused political restriction on port access.

Apart from naval use, where frequency of refueling is a major consideration, nuclear power seems most immediately promising for the following:
    •Large bulk carriers that go back and forth constantly on few routes between dedicated ports – eg China to South America and NW Australia. They could be powered by a reactor delivering 100 MW thrust.
    •Cruise liners, which have demand curves like a small town. A 70 MWe unit could give base-load and charge batteries, with a smaller diesel unit supplying the peaks. (The largest afloat today – Oasis class, with 100,000 t displacement – has about 60 MW shaft power derived from almost 100 MW total power plant.)
    •Nuclear tugs, to take conventional ships across oceans
    •Some kinds of bulk shipping, where speed is essential.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...e-range-nuclear-powered-cars-ships-and-planes
    NS Savannah, one of the only nuclear passenger-and-cargo ships, in service between 1962 and 1972.

The 1958 Ford Nucleon concept car – the closest we’ve got to a nuclear-powered car so far. Yes, this is the car that inspired the nuclear cars in Fallout 3.

Which brings us to cars. To this day, the closest we’ve ever come to a nuclear car is the Ford Nucleon, a 1958 scale model concept car that would’ve used a nuclear reactor paired with a steam engine (much like nuclear submarines or icebreakers). At the time, there was no nuclear reactor small enough to squeeze into a car, and so it never became more than a concept. (As you can probably tell, the ’50s and ’60s — the heyday of optimistic nuclear research — were probably the last time that nuclear power wasn’t despised by the public.)

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.