Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

If that's the case anyone else notice that the camp's CEO has neatly claimed the space of honor between the fulls and empties?

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ok all you Gallipoli historians -- Name the allied "countries" that fought against Johney Turk in this disastrous campaign .

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

I know what you're after . . . :)

Viking North: ‘‘ Born a citizen of the country of Newfoundland - Presently Canadian citizen. ’’

You're afraid we'd forget about the allied participation of Newfoundland which was a British dominion at the time . . :idea:

The allied forces that fought in the Gallipoli Campaign against the Ottoman Empire and the German Empire and Austria-Hungary were:

The British Empire (in Gallipoli with forces from: Australia, India, Newfoundland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. (Great Britain consisting of: England, Scotland, Wales.)) and France.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I didn't see this Anzac & The Johnny Turk movie though . . . . . .​
    [​IMG]
    - - click pic for source - -
    However, the link buttons in above picture on the linked site seems to be inoperative. :(
    Anzac means: Australian and New Zealand Army Corps.​

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ha Ha, Yes of course "The Royal Newfoundland Regiment" Gotta get my history knocks in where i can , i'm the last generation of the Old Country. Of course Angelique you would be aware of this, if I recall ,they also walked the soil of Belgium in both the First and Second World Wars. On the boating side right up to the end of the 1800's "The Rock" was also home of the most prolific boat builders North of Maine. Speaking of which we have always had "a free trade" freer travel with our brothers to the south and came within a hairs breath of becoming a State instead of a Province. Although I don't know if the U.S. Constitution could withstand another "Independent" Alaska in the East :D Possibly it's best that Canada joined us after all :p "COD IS KING" "LONG LIVE THE KING" " CHEECH MAN,where did you get that stuff ?"

Attached Files:

• 999.jpg
      999.jpg
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
  5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Kaiser Bill went up the hill to take a look at France.
    Kaiser Bill came down the hill with bullets in his pants.

Forgot who said it. Maybe James Thurber

6. Angélique

I didn't check, but I can't imagine they didn't, so thanks for that . . :)

:) - [​IMG]

Don't tell anyone . . ;) - - - Wikipedia ---> Gallipoli Campaign ---> on the right, Belligerents, named + linked for details.

P.S. - BTW, nice coin [​IMG]

7. Woobs

Woobs Junior Member

Not my research but...

"When the Second World War began, as a Dominion governed directly from the UK, Newfoundland declared war a day after the United Kingdom, on September 4, 1939. However, no Newfoundland infantry units were sent overseas. Instead, it raised two artillery regiments; the 59 Heavy (Newfoundland) Regiment and the 57 (later 166)[29](Newfoundland) Field Artillery Regiment. These units saw service in Africa, Italy, and Europe.

In 1949, after a pair of referenda, Newfoundland joined Canada as the latter's 10th province. The Royal Newfoundland Regiment became the primary militia unit for the province. The regiment is ranked last in the Canadian Forces order of precedence due to Newfoundland's entry into Canada in 1949, long after other Canadian regiments were recognized in the order of precedence."

The unit still exists as a Canadian reserve unit.

Note*** At no time did Newfoundland negotiate (or officially discuss) to become a part of the USA.

The 3 options during the referendum were...1) remain independent. 2) Become a British "commission" (subordinate to the British Government) and 3) join Canada, which was a late addition. Since there was no majority (50%) The second referendum dropped the least popular option; becoming a British protectorate commission. The vote to Join Canada was a 52.3% win. Canada, placed Labrador under the jurisdiction new province and supported Newfoundland with transfer payments as a "have not" province from the 1949 vote up until 2008 when it was finally able to operate off its own resources financially. This does not include Federal spending like defence, which is shared across Canada.

8. Angélique

Of course, I should have remembered the Caribou in Kortrijk in West Flanders instantly, not native there . . :eek: - (Kortrijk = Courtrai in French & English)

Courtrai Newfoundland Memorial

9. Angélique

The memorial on Google street view -- April 2009 -- October 2014 -- they have grown some more bushes in the background to allow the Caribou to feel at home there I think.

10. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Woobs --Most of that exacting history is indeed correct however there are some mistakes, Canadian political chest pounding and other under the table unofficial sidelines left out. The Royal Newfoundland Regiment did indeed fight in WW1 as attested by the monuments erected to them. By the way they also fought in the Boer War. The "Remain Independent Choice' was basically led by the powerful Crosby family and as a part of their leadership plans , "Official Economic Union" with the U.S. was to be aggressively pursued, which would have been really no change in policy. Far more Newfoundlanders traded and worked in the U.S than mainland Canada. One must remember Newfoundland historically "was" the first New England Colony. Now for the last historic fallacy as promoted by many Canadians , that Newfoundland was broke and it's people on the verge of starvation. This is just not so nor proven out by financial records. Newfoundland at that point in history(1949) was under a great economic burden due to it's financial and material support to the Mother Country as a result of both world wars. Some $45 millions of which by the way none was ever repaid. Despite this the Island still had $17 millions working capital plus the largest workable raw protein resource in the world on it's coasts. As for it's people starving, documented studies have shown the standard of living was comparable with any other peoples in North America living under similar rural situations, U.S. or Canada. I would estimate a survey of my and the previous generation would roughly still be close to 50/50 , Canada or Independence with the unofficial but citizen popular road of economic union with the U.S. Today judged by just the sheer numbers of Newfoundlanders living on the "mainland" ("Up Along") and serving in the military there is definitely a rising population of strong Canadian patriotism . And der she is by the cold hard facts of history as i see's dem, and now i'm going sailing , I loves boats I does ---Jarge

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Angelique as usual you are totally mind boggling with your research and in this case do honour to all who sailed the Atlantic to struggled those muddy fields.

12. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Getting away from the quasi political history and back to boating and history I thought this might be somewhat appropriate with the recent completed replica of Columbia visiting Bluenose's home port of Lunenburg. Notice Henry Ford another competitor in the Fishermen's races on the same page. These big schooners had some of the most beautiful lines ever molded into a sea going vessel. One can imagine their grace with the sea.

Credit-Charles G. Davis "Ships Of The Past"

Attached Files:

13. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

When racing boats knew how to work hard as well as play hard....

14. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

When racing meant coming home with a full hold or an empty one.

15. Angélique

Thanks for digging it up, it actually says that two Newfoundland artillery regiments saw service in Europe in WW II, which as well could mean that among other countries they also could have fought in Belgium, which is confirmed by the Newfoundland and Labrador Heritage website....

Newfoundlanders and Labradorians in WW II - - - (here about WW I)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.