Random Picture Thread

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Rurudyne

Rurudyne Senior Member

Oooooh ... I just had a "Homer moment" ... I'd been thinking "Myark" was a snappy trade name for your portable designs, based on "my ark", and not a name.

My bad! Sorry. :)

Aside: the guy responsible for that stereo needs to not be introduced to the description of Disaster Area (http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Disaster_Area), a band described in the book The Restaurant at the End of the Universe ... he may get inspired. Assuming of course he hasn't already been so inspired.

2. myark

myark Senior Member

Thanks for that link Angelique, it brought back some memories.

Myark and Casper can cut their hair if they want, but they do not want to like they do not want to go to school, so they have never been to school or intend to.

The pictures are an example of what my children do each morning to their grandmother.

She had had a stroke some years ago and can not talk or do the basic daily things on her own, the best medicine we can give is our children's love.

Attached Files:

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Well, David didn't cut his hair either, I think the last verse of the song applies to your boys, and that ‘‘someone’’ might as well be their grandmother . . :)

From 3:08 in the Madison Square Garden video

Quote:

I'm going to find a place inside to laugh,

Separate the wheat from the chaff

I feel ... like I owe it, to someone, yeah

4. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Neft Dashlari in the Caspian Sea:

5. Angélique

Well Tiny, that's a horrifying trailer of what must be a terrifying informative documentary . . :eek:

Quote from the video tekst:
    That Caspian "Oil Atlantis" was commissioned by "Uncle Joe" in 1949 as the documentary says, but that doesn't explain it all, he was never in charge in the US and something like it happened earlier to the beaches of California too . . :eek: - (But at least the latter has been cleaned up now . . :))

The last two pics in the quote come from Wikipedia: Petroleum industry in Azerbaijan

6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Say NO, to tar sands oil

While we are on this theme of what oil exploration is doing to our earth's landscape, you might have a look thru this posting i made on another subject thread.

7. Angélique

Hey Brian, what about what was called hitting the ‘‘Jackpot’’ . . :eek:
    Don't we all take advantage of the developments which emerged from that kind of oil searching and exploration . . ? ?

P.S

I'm thinking, what did this fountain look like before they "bridled" it, or more likely I think, do the quotation marks indicate some irony and was the bridling not yet done when the picture was taken . . ? ?

8. brian eiland

That was a 'short term celebration' of striking an oil find,....and at least that stuff floated on top of the water and could be skimmed off.

These tar sand tailing pipes are likely running full time into makeshift lakes that eventually contaminate natures water supply. And this stuff does not float so as to be cleaned up by skimming.
    Tar Sands production tailings1.jpg
    alberta-oil-sands_02.jpg
    tar_sands_tailings_pond_pipes.png
    And Canada wants to ship this tar sands oil via a pipeline right across a major aquafier here in the USA that serves 5 states with farming water.
    http://www.nwf.org/What-We-Do/Energy-and-Climate/Drilling-and-Mining/Tar-Sands/Michigan-Oil-Spill.aspx

I say let them clean it up some there in Canada BEFORE shipping it across the USA.

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Better it should come by pipeline than by railcar. Pipelines have a superior safety record and suffer fewer derailments. Buffett already has enough money any way.

10. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Luckily the oil sands and the waste ponds are located on major migratory waterfowl flyways so the ducks can stop and rejuvenate the waterproofing coat of oil on their feathers.
    These ducks are lovin' it! Thank you, Big Oil!

[​IMG]

11. Jolly Amaranto

Jolly Amaranto Junior Member

Seems we have taken on a permanent list to starboard.
    [​IMG]

12. brian eiland

I'm not so sure that pipelines have a better safety record? And when a spill occurs, which method puts a FAR LARGER amount of spill into play. :!:

But I continue to ask, why doesn't Canada build some refineries that could convert this toxic tar sands stuff into a more redefined oil product that would be safer to ship across their country, or ours :?:

Why do they continue to insist on utilizing our already 'stretched-out' refinery capacity??

13. brian eiland

Water !

http://www.ienearth.org/what-we-do/tar-sands/

14. brian eiland

Fish Tumors

some images that make you think their must be a better way :eek:

Attached Files:

15. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Brian, why do you think that the crude oil produced from the Alberta oil sands is any more toxic than other sour (high sulfur) crude oils in general? My understanding is that it is the extraction of the oil from the sands that creates toxic lakes and has a huge carbon footprint. I suspect it is the production of the oil that is really what is objectionable to environmentalists. I'm guessing the objections to the transportation of the crude is mostly a red herring.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.