Rafting the tyne!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by djwkd, Mar 26, 2007.

1. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

Hopefully,in the summer holidays I will raft down the 'mighty'(LOL) Tyne in my raft.The journey is about 15 miles from newcastle to Tynemouth or vice versa.It will take just under a week to complete but will be something enjoyable and quick.I am just currnetly building my raft,but when done she'll be Brilliant.Her names Bob (only kidding-its Sea serpent-very lady-like and gentle-not).If anyone has any tips,has done this before and would like to share their story or wants to do the same thing and needs tips,please post here.

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Take out a big insurance - your wife and kids could do with it!

3. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

???why take out insurance?

4. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

Also,because the only mode of private transport we have is/will be (honestly) this raft,i will go back down,so it will take about 1 1/2 weeks.i;m not completely sure.

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

It is becoming clear djwkd that you like rafting.

6. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

I've never done it before!it won't be like an inflatable raft,it's a wooden one.Built sorta like the vilma b!

7. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

down the Tyne? all the way? to Shields (either) Boy have you got a sense of humour!!!

8. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

?its not far! from shields-newcastle-shields (North).I don't know how thats a joke-people raft hundreds of miles down the mississippi!

9. VKRUE

VKRUE Just another boat lover

Djwkd:
    I'm not aware of the tyne river (yet !) but do you really expect it to take a week to a week and a half to do it... only 15 miles ? Is this river completely still... motionless ? An average person can walk 3 miles per hour... 15 miles in 5 hours at walking speed.

Reading your other thread, I had the impression that you were going on an expedition of sorts... I like to dream big I guess. :D

Seriously though, I'm gonna look up what I can on this river of yours but really, a week and a half to float 15 miles ???

10. VKRUE

O.K. so now I've done a bit of homework about the Tyne river...
    Are you crazy :eek: !!! ?

No, just kidding.

That's some river. Better check with local authorities first. There are some pretty big boats... er... SHIPS to contend with there. And the bridges ! http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Tyne_Bridge_-_Newcastle_Upon_Tyne_-_England_-_2004-08-14.jpg My goodness, on a good day (or bad) you could be pulverized by a suicide jumper... with that many bridges.... just kidding again!

Really, that's a big river with a lot of traffic from what I see. I wouldn't even consider it without some means of reliable propulsion to steer clear of those ships & tugs.

Also, for what it's worth... I really don't think that there is any comparison between this river and the "Mighty Mississippi". You would have to see this Mississippi to know what I'm talking about. Two completely different kinds of river.

Attached Files:

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

And that pretty well sums it up.

The Tyne is a busy shipping lane. I just know that he hasnt asked for permision,--anyway I hear the prison food is good in Newcastle.

The lunatic Asylum has good food too.

12. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

in all fairness,neither of you live in england-never mind the NE!How would you know i would have to check with authorities?there are two councils involved here-not easy!

13. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

14. VKRUE

Hey Dom:
    How old are you ... Honestly ?

Your Quote:
    "How would you know i would have to check with authorities?"

Sounds a bit inmature.

For directions to where or who I would ask, I'd start with a police officer, counstable or whatever you call the people who can put your butt in jail... or better yet one of those bridges is surely a draw bridge... which is probably "manned" by a real live person... ask a bridge opperator or your coast guard / water police ???.

You've been given some very sound advice from several people so far.
    You asked for advice... you are getting it... the same from everyone.

What you propose is not the smartest idea... when was the last time YOU saw a raft on your Tyne river negotiating in and around ships, tugs and barges ?

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

They'lle be round to see you Monday morning then!!

They will say "do you intend to be towed down the river" to which you will reply "Oh no just drift down having a beer"

Try to immagine if you were a ships captain and you where driving up the Tyne and you came across a free flowing raft that was where you needed to be due to limited draft.

The tide was strong so you HAD to keep bows up and there you are waving you arms with a can of newcastle.

The only thing he could do was drop anchor so as to proportion the collision onto you. He would then be at anchor and you would bounce off him.

If you came out of the back you would be arrested.

Oh by the way since you will be hearing it a lot 5 blast means the captain is very angry with you and doesnt know what your intentions are.

5 -blasts what--the--fu%--you--doing.

Ha Ha ha--- this is a joke,--isnt it? who is winding who.