Rafting the tyne!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by djwkd, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Where do they live then?

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Err! Panic!!

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Rafting the Tyne

As an aside - Geordie joke (read it with the accent).
    There used to be a 'sentry' box' on the seamost bridge on the Tyne where a lookout would watch for approaching enemy (the French, Spanish - even the scots in their day.) Foggy night, barely able to see your pipe in front of your face and a german vessel the 'Anna Broer' slips into the river on genuine business.
    "Ahoy...whit ship are ye ?"

"Anna..."

"Ah naa ye naa, bit I divn't bloody naaa...."

(goes into song and exits left...:( )

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  4. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

Back on topic though...has anyone got any suggestions???

EDIT:If you think the tyne is busy (which it is far from) see the thames!!!

[​IMG]

And the tyne averagely (if thats a word)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. VKRUE

VKRUE Just another boat lover

Yeah... go find another river to raft on.

6. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

Any Real advice????

7. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

What do you want us to say? That you are a genius and should start straight away You want to drift down the Tyne and float out into the North Sea. A rudderless venture is what is seems to be to me and although you are free to do anything you want in this world, there is never freedom without responsibility.

Thus, you will have to accept the consequences of your actions and they could be fatal to you and any who accompany you. Freedom is and can only ever be, an unreserved willingness to accept at all times, the results of your actions. If you think anything else you are just jerking off.

Pericles

8. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

Not into the north sea!!!Just down the tyne from north shields-wallsend-newcastle-wallsend-north shields.

9. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

I'll tell YOU why i hadn't got a reply by then.Because this is the COUNCCIL you're talking about-they're very busy you know!!!

Sorry if that sounds a bit like im in a mood,But to me thats something obvious!!

10. safewalrus

Yep - right - very busy dealing with idjits! Ain't you the lot who sent a council officer out to evit a man trying to build a slum or something - out of the whole bloody lot one man was trying to help the old bloke - so he shot 'im - dead! Yes very busy........still we all have a cross to bear, your just trying to float yours doon the riva - numpty!

sorry if that sounds a bit like im in a mood, it's supposed to! the raft idea is great just haul out before your get to a position abeam of HMS Calliope!! at the latest.

11. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

No-it was some council near us (not sure which one!) that evicted a man for selling fruit and vegetables in Ib&Oz!They fined him just for doing that!Stupid,if you ask me.I'll set up a poll to see how many think yes and how many think no to my rafting trip down the tyne.

12. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

13. safewalrus

so you want to go 'down' the tyne from 'shields to walls end - that's UP you numpty! Shields (North and South) are the gateway towns to the Tyne coming from the sea!! If you go 'down the tyne' from there you only have the seawalls to pass! do you know where you are?

14. djwkd

djwkd Senior Member

yes...it was my stupidity-always getting things like that wrong!!!!anyway-i want to go to newcastle-wallsend isn't much of a journey-about 1 1/2 days at maximum!I see why you thought that though.Each place mentuioned was the stop i would moore up at (approx-i havent worked out what the speed would be).Also,there will be a ruudder on this raft-so its not rudderless,but it is an adventure!(i hope...)

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Have you not done this yet, I keep looking at the BBC world page.

Walrus is correct for a good safe voyage knowing wich is up or down would help enormously.

A rudder needs water flowing over it --if your drifting your rudder will do nothing,---Oh jeees this is unbelievable.

This will be on the telly --for sure