Pull of the Pacific

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Bergalia, Aug 12, 2007.

1. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

you don't sound like an Austroine , Lubs, in fact you sound unreasonanbly sane<

2. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Landlubber, I thought it was ned Kelly that said that, just before they hung him.

Now there are solo attempts and then there are solo attempts.

Sometimes they work to rules ie someone was cycling around Australia. However accompanying him was a support crew in a campervan. So he cycled for 8 hours or so and then they would all camp by the side of the road, have dinner etc. then turn in for the night. Start out again in the morning.

Which type of solo rowing is this lady doing?

Poida

PS. Doing 240kph on your bike landlubber, you're a very naughty boy!

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

'lubber what exactly is the point of your tirade? You think it's not on that the lady does whatever she wants to do, then go on at length as to why she should! some sort of 'repressive' I guess!

Me I couldn't give a 5h1t what the girly wants to do, but the best of luck to her in her realisation of her dream! Oh yes and don't come whinging to me if you fail - there again..............

4. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

It was observed of Ewart Grogan (the adventurer whose solo traverse of Kenya in the 1900's opened up that part of Africa to the 'white' man): "It is the mad and bad who build empires - and the bureaucrats who lose them...."

And welcome back Walrus. For my own 'silences - I'm in the process of converting 'paddock' into fertile veggie patches....

5. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Sanity

Lazyjack,

Sorry about that, I will try harder in future.:)

1 person likes this.
  6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Repressive

Safewalrus,

Sorry if my rantings are not to your liling, I will go and have another dose of my medication :(

7. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

I think you'll find it hard to please Rus's 'lilings'....But a swift wipe with a herringy rag sometimes helps. :)

8. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Landlubber,

Hell of a name for a boat forum. Hows about "Water Hater"? :D

Just kidding buddy. Yeah, you'll sort out all the varied personalities here after awhile. Walrus gets strange when it is his "time of the month".

And do not, under any circumstances, believe Bergalia (or me for that matter).

Have a good one.

Tim

9. safewalrus

'lubber no problem withyour lilings just can't see the sense in them - there again who said they had to have sense - the 'Snowman' here abouts has never made sense in his life - and he tries to tell us he's an engin eer some moral in this somewhere I think

Don't believe anything that Tim tells you - I'm not strangeeeeee - much!

Mad yes, strange No!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  10. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

OOOppps a daisy....British woman Roz Savage who is attempting to become the first female to row solo across the Pacific ran aground immediately after setting off from northern California.

She says that after leaving the small harbour of Crescent City, near the Oregon border, on the first leg of her 6,700-mile journey:"I'd only just rounded the corner, trying hard to look good, and promptly ran aground on a sand bank lurking under the surface of the water.
    "It's one of the hazards of leaving at low tide. So ten minutes into my big adventure I was standing in shallow water with my leggings rolled up above my knees, trying to heave the 'Brocade' off the sand bank. After a bit of a struggle I succeeded and we were on our way."

The epic trek across the world's largest ocean, which she hopes to complete in three stages, arriving in Australia by early 2009, is a follow-up to last year's gruelling 103-day trip across the Atlantic.

She hopes to reach Hawaii, the first stop, in the next two to three months, where she will wait out the hurricane season, perhaps even returning to Britain to spend Christmas with her mother. During stage two she will head to the South Pacific island of Tuvalu and finally on to Cairns, Australia.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You would have thought that with all the organisatation required and assumed to have been done that some one would say" watch out for that sandbank on your way out"

I fear therefore that these things are'nt as organised as we are expected to believe.

12. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

That's probably better than having your intestines wrapped around a stick and then being drawn and quarterd. But maybe your conservatives are different than ours. ;)

13. safewalrus

Sam is that the same as being invited to a barbicue? If it is please don't be offended if I decline the offer! I have a better use for my intestines, rather than as a barbi snack cheers all the same!

14. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

It sort of sounds like being invited to a BBQ by a cannibal. I wasn't clear in what I meant. I meant if Australia's liberals might send her to prison, what would the conservatives do? and then I ventured what I thought our conservatives would do.
    I believe I might have too much leisure time.

15. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Then you must be one of those Australians who work for one hour per week - but appears in Government statistics as 'Fully employed...' :(

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.