Please help, I have a problem....

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by JOHNSCOTT64, Mar 7, 2009.

1. JOHNSCOTT64

JOHNSCOTT64 Guest

I have an Aquasport 175 Osprey with an Ocean Pro 90 on the back. I have a hydrofoil on the cavitations plate and added a Min Kota, Ebb Tide 80 lb thrust trolling motor on top of that, that is it is mounted on top the Cavitation plate and Hydrofoil; I put the boat in the water with great expectations but while passing through 3,500 rpms coming up on a plane working toward WOT I noticed a bad list to the left and that the Hydrofoil was still buried under water and not riding up and out. The drag produced from the trolling motor is I suspect the reason for the bad left list and the fact it wants to turn hard right.....I have to hold a lot of counter pressure left to stay on course and if I let the wheel go it would go hard right instantly.
    Is the Hydrofoil to small given the extra weight approx 30 lbs added by the trolling motor and the fact that it has also shifted more weight aft as the Min Kota extends farther out past the Prop as it sits atop the cavitation plate.....
    Help !
    Scott Jaburg
    sjaburg@camber.com

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Remove bits (trolling motor then "foil"?) to find out the cause why not make the trolling motor so it stows out of the water until it is needed then lowered?

I don't know this stuff.... just thought a logical explanation may help, or amuse others with expertise, to delight in rebutting my suggestion...

3. JOHNSCOTT64

JOHNSCOTT64 Guest

The boat performed perfectly without any foil or electric trolling motor. I added the foil to bring the bow down during acceleration and at slower planning speeds and it worked great after installation the new dynamic is the addition of the trolling motor that was designed to be attached to the cavitation plate. I have asked the manufacturer Min Kota and am waiting a response; was hoping someone else had seen a similar problem.
    R/ Scott Jaburg

4. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

It Is Funny...

Hello...

Personally I still find it funny that people design asymetrical 'things' - with asymetrical loadings and wonder why they do not go straight - then they load them up with massive high RPM gryro motors and wonder why they pull one way like a drunken dragon but are slugs going the other way...

Tell you what - and I am being a prick - but - go fill your bath tub with water - every cubic foot of that stuff weighs in at about 62 damned pounds - stick your hand in it - ah - so soothing - move your hand around slowly - hypnotic - now slap your open palm against it as hard and fast as you can and watch how it responds and remember how this stings ...

Water will move - but only if it wants to...

We are really arrogant little ants on this Planet...

For shits and giggles - no pun intended - see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1RHmSm36aE ...

Sorry - cheers...

SH.

5. JOHNSCOTT64

JOHNSCOTT64 Guest

What a witty response..(NOT)

For Sean,
    Guess I was expecting a lot thinking I might actually have some meaningful dialog ! I am not interested in childish lessons on fluid dynamics nor basic physics and to think you actually suggested I look at a youtube link has me laughing out loud. Just FYI I spent 16 years as an instructor pilot and maintenance test pilot in the US Military and before that 4 years as a Search and Rescue Boat Pilot (Coxswain) in the US Coast Guard. I feel I am actually pretty knowledgeable and well versed in the forces acting on the boat and motor. This should be a relatively simple problem and was actually thinking someone might have had a similar experience.
    I guess I should be happy at least you took time to respond.
    God bless the USA.

6. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

7. Poida

Poida Senior Member

C'mon Johnscott, you can't be that bright. You saw a post by Sean Herron and you read it??????

8. Sean Herron

Yeah...

Hello...

Poida has a point...

You read my post - and you are all that you are and so much more - the British would call that a CV - you should be ashamed of yourself ...

Well - good luck and Apple Phi - and all that ...

Sorry to offend you - and to make you all defensive and patriotic - keep shooting from the hip - at your feet ...

I think you are just ashamed of the idea of slapping at your bath water - and getting caught ...

Learned a lot from Pearl ...

You asked the question ...

Do you think that I would post my CV or other here - that would be defensive and childish ...

APPLE PHI - take the F'cking hill - piss off - and the rest of the world will clean up after you ...

SH.

9. Sean Herron

Yup...

OK - YUP - so your question was ...

10. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Sean how dare you agree with me when I'm trying to insult you!!

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Poida. - - and I thought you were trying - - - to praise Caesar (Sean) not to bury him...... (do I have to type in the whole of Mark Anthony's soliloquy from the Shakespearian play?)

12. Poida

Poida Senior Member

Actu Bruti (I think, that high school crap was so long ago)

13. masalai

masalai masalai

Did we answer the, not really yelling JOHNSCOTT64's question? or have we lost the plot again? "...The evil that men do lives after them, The good is oft interred with their bones...."

14. Sean Herron

I'm Sorry...

Hello...

JS64 - I apologize - I do - just that - 'we' are currently playing with a new build that has a list on plane from motor torque and other...

I have been a prick on this thread - but you have to admit - I am very good at being same ...

Again - sorry...

OK - but - smacking water at planing speeds still needs balance thru the Center Line - BIG TIME - internal weights and underwater interferences - senders and other on the hull - if you want to load your boat with a get home O/B motor and a trolling motor - you should also look at good - but cheap Bennets - if you do not have same installed already - cheap as dog **** - bullet proof - low drag - easy to install on 12 or 24 house ...

If you want my opinion after me being such a **** head - KEEP THAT CAVITATION PLATE CLEAN - that is your rocket ...

But tell you what - I KNOW F'CK ALL ABOUT BOATS - I dream of being a world class Figure Skater ...

SH.

Attached Files:

15. masalai

masalai masalai

Sean, Never apologize for what comes from the heart... - - The boat owner got what he needed - "a get real wake-up call".... Maybe not exactly in the form expected, but an open mind will appreciate the information and a closed mind will never learn PERIOD (just ***** and complain)....