PLASTIC BAGS and our WATER WORLD

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Maxim Projet

Maxim Projet Junior Member

It is impossible to match longliner's quality posts. Here's one that should be filed under "Death of an Environmental Drama Queen":

longliner: I am getting old ,,tired of fighting ,,,,but got a few more left in me ,,
    not dead yet,,avoid plastic ,,

1 person likes this.
  2. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

heh,,, man you jus keep showing ya age,,is great to see theres still kids out there that need our tax money fer their schooling.,

:EDIT: ,, i took out my usual response,,, figure i should save my "banning" for an adult.

3. Maxim Projet

Like I said, there have been about three documented cases in the world in the last few years. That's a far cry from the "hundreds per year" bandied about by some groups.

4. Maxim Projet

How about non-yankee fishermen who ignored decades of warnings, stuffed up their marine environments, and now want government money to bail them out?

5. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

this comes from sea world website,,,,i bet that place is just full of greenies,,,not marine biologists,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    MARINE DEBRIS
    A report from the Third International Conference on Marine Debris was held in 1994.
    Conclusions were that the environment was not doing very well. Plastic bags and six
    pack holders were minor compared to "rafts of plastic drifting across oceans, laden with
    fully reproducing communities of marine organisms with the potential to infect areas with
    foreign species." (Janet Slater: Ocean Rescue 2000; December 1995)
    Australia plays an important role in isolating problems caused by marine debris and then
    developing national strategies for reducing ship-borne debris. In 1994 a national working
    party on Marine Debris was established by ANZECC's (Australian and New Zealand
    Environment and Conservation Council) Maritime Accidents and Pollutions Task Force.
    For more information on marine debris or the ANZECC Working
    Group write to:
    Janet Slater
    Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
    PO Box 1379
    Townsville Qld 4810
    PLASTICS
    Birds, turtles, seals, dolphins, whales and fish wash up on beaches around the world as
    a result of pollutants in their natural habitats.
    Plastic in our oceans is one of the greatest killers of marine animals. It has been
    estimated that up to one million sea birds and more than 100,000 marine animals die
    each year from plastic waste.
    Today, plastic replaces many natural materials. For example, nylon and polyester are
    used instead of cotton, linen and wool in the clothing industry. The building industry
    often uses fibreglass instead of steel and wood. Plastic is found in a great variety from
    containers and packaging through to cutlery and disposable nappies.
    Manufacturers and consumers often prefer to use plastics rather than natural products
    because they are stronger, lighter, durable, versatile, low in costs and easy to produce
    and handle. It is these same properties which make plastic such an environmental
    concern.
    Plastic breaks down slowly through ultra violet radiation. When debris is floating in the
    ocean, hidden from ultra-violet rays, the breakdown process is considerably slowed,
    often leaving it for hundreds of years.

6. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

Marinelife believe this issue poses both a short and long term threat to marine wildlife and as well as recording sightings of plastic rubbish, has also provided sponsorship for a PhD. The research is focused on some of the rarely seen beaked whales – species such as the Cuvier’s Beaked Whale and Sowerby’s Beaked Whale, which have increasingly been found dead with stomachs filled with plastic bags. The plastic bags are eaten by the whales and become lodged in their stomach and intestines which can at best interfere with normal food uptake and at worst completely block the digestive system – death being an inevitable consequence.

Marinelife researcher, relief wildlife officer and PhD student Jackie Smith commented, “We have recorded plastic bags in the Bay of Biscay over 120 miles from shore in waters over 4000 meters in depth. Beaked whale species in particular are highly susceptible to swallowing plastic bags as they are believed to strongly resemble their target prey, squid. Other species of large whales, which take large mouthfuls of water during feeding, also take in plastic bags by accident and hence are also at risk. The fact that beaked whale species whose natural habitat is deep waters where they catch prey at depths in excess of 1000 meters are being found dead with high concentrations of plastic in their stomachs, highlights how widespread the problem of plastic is.

Marinelife researcher, PR & Publicity Officer, Adrian Shephard commented, “It is only when you actually start recording the number of bags you realise how much of a problem this is and while Marinelife praises any action which could reduce the pollution of our oceans and the threats to our wildlife, it hopes the steps taken by a leading high street store will be built upon by other supermarket chains.”

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    this 1 from the E.P.A. web site
    http://www.epa.gov/owow/oceans/debris/moreinfo.html
    Each year millions of seabirds, sea turtles, fish, and marine mammals become entangled in marine debris or ingest plastics which they have mistaken for food. As many as 30,000 northern fur seals per year get caught in abandoned fishing nets and either drown or suffocate. Whales mistake plastic bags for squid, and birds may mistake plastic pellets for fish eggs. At other times, animals accidentally eat the plastic while feeding on natural food. According to recent estimates,

267 marine species have been reported entangled in or having ingested marine debris (Marine Mammal Commission, 1998). The plastic constricts the animals' movements, or kills the marine animals through starvation, exhaustion, or infection from deep wounds caused by tightening material. The animals may starve to death, because the plastic clogs their intestines preventing them from obtaining vital nutrients. Toxic substances present in plastics can cause death or reproductive failure in the fish, shellfish, and wildlife that use the habitat.

7. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

any more facts needed?

8. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

9. masalai

masalai masalai

May I suggest you post the edited words? (for those "me" with a retarded service provider country restricted by a dialup mentality of "The National failure carrier" - Telstra/Bigpond).....)

:p:p:p:p:p:p - - - - ONLY FOR THIS THREAD - - - - :D:D:D:D:D:D

10. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

hehe,,,your dail-up aint half as bad as my typin :D:D:D:D:D:p;)

11. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

im waiting for the response we all know is commin next,,,"it doesnt say how many DOLPHINS have been killed by plastic bags",,,,,hehehe,,,i had an hour to kill this aftanoon,, and figure what better waste of time then to read a LITTLE and make some @sshole choke on his words,,,,,(psssst,,, i know what the # of dolphins that were recorded to be killed by bags in 2006 hehe :D)

:EDIT:,,,,,it was a WHOLE lot more then "about 3"<<how do you get a factual number thats "about"3? :D

12. masalai

masalai masalai

Pick it out of a hat and hope no one else has a computer of internet connection to "check it out"..... :p:p:p

1 person likes this.
  13. the1much

the1much hippie dreams

14. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

hey ,,ya know whats really funny,,,,,this guys an ***,so everyone is trying to give him negative points,,but they are so mad ,that they hit the wrong button,,I know ,with this bunch ,ya gotta have something to get a point,hes done ,nobody will ever listen to jack **** form him ,,he probably dont even have a boat ,,the(max project) is what his shink probably calls him ,would you buy a boat designed or built by him?sorry max ,,Im real sorry for you ,your probably an ok dude ,,,,,but get some help...longliner

15. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

i,m listening, I think he makes a lot of sense
    Much, I would,nt believe a word wriiten by that woman from the reef
    I have never seen or heard of a dolphin doing himself in by eating a bag, too smart
    i have seen though, fishes with those six pack rings wrapped around there bodies, and ingrown
    I have to agree that MOST fishers are an illiterate bunch, note I did say most You have only to listen to the rave of the tunafishers in the Med right now, anyone who thinks bluefinn are NOT in danger, has his/her head firmly buried in the sand
    i do think that the politiciens who make the rules, oft do so too quickly, bowing to lobby groups , from either side
    i think there should be more hands on study by the staff of said lawmakers to observe zakkly what happens in the environment, in other words not listen to everything but to go out see it , breathe it.
    here gillnetting is outlawed unless its to catch Humpbacks, by sharkenet, Its ok here to kill humpy calves as longas it saves one sad human from being dinner for one shark

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.