Pasha Bulker aground off Newcastle (Aus)

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hansp77, Jun 8, 2007.

1. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Yeah - everything going true to form! If it's in a Marine Park hows about rigging some slides, coconut shys and swings around to entertain the kids whilst the state government talks poo! Better to cut their lossess and get out the 'gas axes' got some good scrap there!!

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

They were not dragging anchors at the time of beaching, nor broke the rode(s), as both anchors seem to be well secured in their positions, as per the images.
    So it seems to me they had just recovered the anchors and tried to manage through wind and waves, without success. If there was not enough room to maneouvre it may mean the ship was not in an enough safe position when anchored, or emergy action was taken too late. Maybe there's a crew responsibility there.

We had a similar case in January, when freighter 'Sierra Nava' beached close to Algeciras after dragging her anchors.
    http://www.spanishshipping.com/sct/SierraNava.htm
    Video:
    http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/195874/0/buque/algeciras/vertido/

There was an oil spill and a judge inmediately seized the ship for 3.9 million euros to grant against echological damages. Sierra Nava was finally put afloat.

Attached Files:

3. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Guillermo,--I understand what you are saying. Probably in a tight situation and couldnt give it the RPM needed to get the back round and into the wind. It a captains call.

Yet she would have been lying to wind anyway after hauling anchors.

Not quick enough on the engines and under estimated the weather.

There might have been a collision, but a small one and just slide off.

Better that than what did. Every one is scared of loosing thier jobs. Darent make desicions.

4. hansp77

hansp77

[​IMG]

After last nights attempt (and movement) the oil leak (lubricant oil rather than fuel) that resulted apparantly has come from the propeller which was damaged. The rudder was also badly damaged.
    Having turned her nose around to sea last night they will be trying to pull her off in a few hours on the high tide tonight, and are only 50 meters away from deep water (could be a very long 50 meters for one high tide).
    The news just said, that because of the damage, if she makes it tonight, she will most likely get towed all the way back to Japan.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/07/02/1967797.htm?section=australia
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/07/02/1967252.htm

5. hansp77

hansp77

News report just then on TV, they got her free, and it is now floating a couple of Km's off Newcastle.
    Not much other news yet.

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Pasha Bulker aground

Yes it seems that at 21.37 Australia time (Monday) she was moved 700 metres off Nobby's Beach and will wait for divers to inspect tomorrow morning (Tuesday) and then towed to Newcastle for 'repairs'.

7. charmc

charmc Senior Member

I think you're right, Frosty. I suspect anchors were hauled in and she attempted to head out. Being in ballast, though, means tremendous wind force exerted on the hull, and the prop was likely never fully submerged, not getting a good bite, possibly fully exposed at times.

Heading out to sea raises costs, though. It's possible the delay resulted from waiting for head office permission. Some lines are known for their micromanagement.

8. safewalrus

I'm amazed they got her off! Good on them, now keep her off and get the job sorted! fancy somebody mentioning crew responsibility, thought I mentioned that a couple of pages back, but was called down for it! No I won't say it "told you...............

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Yes you did walrus, and did you see the sand buiding up around her on her lee . Given a few weeks she would be a tourist attraction.

10. safewalrus

so the town missed it's chance eh! And from what I remember of that particular Newcastle it needs a tourist attraction!!

11. hansp77

hansp77

12. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Pasha Bulker aground

Bloody disgraceful...7am and a skipper still at breakfast....:mad:

13. safewalrus

Jealous Bertgalia, and a man of your position too!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.