Outraged Harbour Master TRASHED My Yacht

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Ultimate Design, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

Now I understand the harbourmaster's actions better.

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I doubt there was any intentional vandalism on the part of the harbor master, just plain and stupid negligence. They started out by thinking they were helping you out, but gave you very bad advice, that should have been your first clue. Needless to say, the further they "helped" you, the more damage they did. I would say these people were completely clueless and had no business offering you help, they should have suggested you get someone properly equipped to help you.

If you expect to get anywhere in any official court or action against a government agency, do not mention your conspiracy theories.

A famous British historian once said "never attribute to conspiracy what can be explained by stupidity". Which is what he have here.

1 person likes this.
  3. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Then you will probably lose the case.
    It is too complicated for you. You cannot handle this yourself and you
    cannot even get your act together to arrange a lawyer.

I might sound a bit harsh in this reply, but I can assure you that you
    will face much harsher criticism and questions if your case ever gets
    to court.

Your conspiracy theories and some other things you have said suggest
    that you might have been under treatment for some kind of psychological
    problems in the past. It might be advisable to see a doctor before you
    take on a complicated legal case.

You admit to being inexperienced.

You just told us the coastguard said there was a storm approaching.

You told us you didn't anchor the boat because you were too exhausted.

You have again admitted you don't know how to handle a simple situation
    on your own.

You have just admitted you did not know what to do.

It sounds like somebody else decided to take responsibility.

Why did they send photos to you?
    Was there a letter attached to the photos?

You have admitted to not doing anything positive to get rid of the boat.
    "Thinking" does not qualify as action.

Your accusation has no weight at all. That is for a court to decide.
    You are close to slandering these people.

You are again close to slandering these people. You do not know their
    motives, which seem quite reasonable to me.

You must get a lawyer. If you are not competent to do that, ask your
    "yachting friend" to help arrange one for you.

If you do proceed with legal action and lose, you could be hit with a very
    large bill for legal costs of both sides. The harbour authorities might also
    decide to charge you for the time and expense of moving your boat.

The lawyers you get might want most of their fees in advance.
    Do you really want to gamble a lot of money on winning this case?
    Do you really want the psychological stress of taking on this action?

4. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Well I'm blow away! Sounds like you got the short end of the stick & have been for some time. After what you have stated about the local police having it in for you I don't think it would be worth the effort of trying to sue the harbourmaster's. Logic would depict they are all friends.

It does sound like the harbourmaster went back & dragged your boat deliberately to damage it, possibly beyond repair. There's no way anyone in their right mind would drag a fibreglass yacht across rocks & expect not to do further damage. The yacht wasn't fit for the water anyhow with one damaged keel so why would they do it.

Sounds like you need to cut your losses & emigrate elsewhere!

Have you considered asking locals (like farmers) for private assistance, get your yacht out of the water & fit a single keel, this would be a quicker repair job than having to do 2 keels. I actually have in my possession some plans for a 21ft twin keel yacht. The required ballast for the 2 keels is 200kg each (roughly 150/180 pounds). These keels can be moulded with concrete by utilising holes dug into soil or sand. Dragging this situation to court will take forever so don't bother. Move onward & upward from here.

Get the boat out of the water with a crane, forklift or tractor & make good on repairs. In future don't get grounded or rebuild the keels from a material that can withstand a thrashing.

5. Leo Lazauskas

And maybe the harbour master saved the life of someone who is not
    competent and who cannot secure their boat for an approaching storm.
    Maybe he even saved the boat from blowing away and hitting other vessels.

Did you read the bit about the storm and how the OP fell asleep before anchoring the boat securely?

There are several sides to this sad story. Don't judge it on one version alone.

6. tomas

tomas Senior Member

Leo is correct.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ultimate Design

Ultimate Design Ultimate Design

Hello djaus/Dirk,you have a clear understanding of my situation and thanks for that.The harbour master did destroy my yacht and that is not slander its factualy what has happened and he should pay me the costs but going through courts and lawyers could increase the problem.

Yes its looking like im just going to have to cut my losses and emigrate and learn to avoid a situation like this happening again but with the increasing Stalanist police state system even in America "the land of the free" America is becoming a Stalanist police state aswell.

I phoned the farmer and he was willing to let me keep my yacht in his field for no more than a week until i repaired the keels but the harbour master had allready caused more damage to the keels by the time i found out who the farmer was,i had to contact every farmer in the area of my yacht before i found the farmer who owned the field next to my yacht and the farmer was not at home for 2 days.
    -
    ================
    -
    Hello Leo Lazauskas,the coast gaurds told me there was an approaching gale force 6 storm but there was NO STORM arrived that night,the water was VERY WARM and there was no danger to me but only danger to my yacht.

I LIVED ON MY YACHT FOR A WEEK MOORED ON A BEACH IN Wales in 70mph winds IN APRIL when ships going to Ireland WERE CANCELLED,so this beaching my yacht on stones in calm seas wasn't a serious problem but the 2 guys walking on the beach insisted on calling the coast guards.

The coastguards anchored my yacht to the stone beach at 9pm at night BY PILING LARGE STONES ONTO THE ANCHOR and detered me from staying on my yacht to save it.
    The coastgaurds told me they would come back after midnight and tow my yacht off the beach and they were in control of the situation,THEY NEVER CAME BACK with there boat.

I have beached my yacht before and recovered it safely on my own by throwing my anchors out the stern and NOT BY ANCHORING IT TO A STONE BEACH.

The coastguards CONFUSED the situation and they are authority figures and i have been treated badly by police authority figures who are BULLIES who demand that you are obedient to there authority or they punish you by locking you up,SO SHOULD I DISOBEY THESE AUTHORITY FIGURES AND SAVE MY YACHT or obey these authority figures and risk my yacht being damaged,THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING,rational thinking says I SHOULD SAVE MY YACHT,irrational authorities thinking says i have to obey authority.

For EXAMPLE: Tony Martin the farmer defended his property and life from known thiefs who regularly broke into his and other peoples property and farms but Tony Martin was inprisoned for 3 years but the police are allowed to defend there lives and property,so the message is clear authority says YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DEFEND YOUR LIFE and property or you will be punished.

In London a police officer violently pushes Ian Tomlinson to the ground for no reason and Ian Tomlinson dies 10 minutes later but the police officer is not inprisoned as a dangerous person,this makes me worried that authority figures have freedom to do what they want even kill innocent people.

For EXAMPLE: Americans demand equal individual control over there lives as authority has over society,in communist countries individual freedom is not allowed and authority has complete control over the individual citizens WHERE NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO OWN A YACHT.

From my experience since year 2000 i have noticed we have a communist police state dictatorship George Orwell system becoming more powerful every year to take away peoples freedoms.

8. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

For freedom to leave your boat on any beach, go somewhere unpopulated.

1 person likes this.
  9. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Jeez and I thought SAFA was bad, Johannesburg is a picnic spot;)

10. Petros

Petros Senior Member

You are describing the kind of distopia as depicted in the British cult classic film "Brazil".

sounds like "Brazil" has arrived to the UK. I think this film was where I first heard the expression "were from the government, we are here to help". And "we are the government, we do not make mistakes".

The film is about a controlling intrusive government who sends out SWAT teams to find a guy going around repairing people's heating and air conditioning systems, and not charging any money for it.

11. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

Q: why does EVERYONE believe that no-one is as competent as themselves? YES, I read the OP's thread.

The OP said he was exhausted & this is why he fell asleep. The harbour master had nothing to do with "securing" the yacht, He dragged it across a stone shoreline!

I believe it went like this: the OP had his yacht beached, a comfortable spot in no-one's way where he could make minor repairs.

Then the locals took it upon themselves to "interfere" as "they new best"!

The coast guard tried to help by advising of bad weather & securing the yacht. The yacht would have been better beached away from the shore or on a mooring when the next tide rolled in.
    Considering what happened next (the yacht rolling over) I guess the OP made the right choice at the time as per the coast guards suggestion & camp in the field. THE COAST GUARD SHOULD HAVE RETURNED TO HELP THIS MAN! They abandoned The OP & his yacht by NOT returning to assist.

Then the harbour master stepped in to help by righting the yacht, he should have left it alone so the OP could fix the keel while it was upended. Then he returned without the OP's knowledge or permission & dragged the yacht across 20m of rock! How f___ing stupid can you get???

The harbour master is liable for damages, there's no doubt in my mind.

Lot's & lot's & lot's of people beach their yachts to make repairs. IT'S NORMAL! Dragging a damaged vessel across rocks to "refloat" it is crazy talk.

Twin keels yachts are designed with beaching in mind, again THAT'S NORMAL!. C'mon people, think before you post anymore "advice". It's better to have people think your a fool, than to open your mouth & remove all doubt.

12. djaus

djaus Salted Nut!

If you decide you want to rebuild your yacht or a new one, I can help. I own 2 set's of design sheets for 2 twin keel yachts. A 21ft & a 26ft. Both designs are from the 60's, both are proven seaworthy, the 21ft is very similar to your yacht ironically. Please follow the link to see them.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/m-my-ad.html?adId=1023663001

I would gladly part with either of these design plans for you, for free. The 21ft plans could be used to fix your keels. They can be emailed in PDF form & opened with Adobe reader software. The Crusader is definitely something you can live on comfortably.

13. Titirangi

Titirangi Previous Member

Intelligent advise I don't think

1 person likes this.
  14. Leo Lazauskas

Guarantee a loan for the advance in lawyer's fees then ;)
    There's no risk to you.
    Of course, if the OP hasn't given us the whole story because he was as exhausted as a judge on the night in question...

15. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I wouldn't trust anyone who subscribes to rubbish like this, to present a sane and accurate account of anything.

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.