Our Oceans are Under Attack

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Penguins offer U.S. a lesson in addressing climate change | Los Angeles Times

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

"La raison doit être la règle universelle et le guide ; toutes les choses doivent être faites selon la raison sans se laisser influencer par l'émotion."
    Cardinal Richelieu

3. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

Cold winters is now the new global warming.

http://www.wallstreetotc.com/global-warming-responsible-for-cold-winters-new-study-shows/211410/

Oh boy, you know they would say that! LOL!
    Earthquakes too.
    Anything will be stated as truth to promote the agenda. Maybe the agenda is really overpopulation, how too many people are going after dwindling resources and the Gaea hypothesis playing out in a negative feedback is what they fear. these folk wish you had never been born, to protect mother earth..they worship the creature, not the creator.

1 person likes this.
  4. ImaginaryNumber

38 federal agencies reveal their vulnerabilities to climate change — and what they’re doing about it | Washington Post

5. ImaginaryNumber

Threat 5: Habitat destruction | Save Our Seas Foundation

6. myark

myark Senior Member

Isn't it time to ask, exactly how thick, how hard to educate, are meat eaters and why aren't they held accountable in the same way everyone else is?

Sympathy is in short supply these days. You can't move for people being blamed for their own miserable situations: smokers who "burden" the NHS; alcoholics who don't "deserve" liver transplants; obese people who "should" pay more for flights. Even those poor terrified women with the faulty breast implants are said to have "brought it on themselves".

By this logic, people who've been regularly informed of the dangers of meat, particularly the cheap processed variety, but who continue to wolf it down should be held just as accountable.

Yet these meat eaters are rarely lambasted. If they're mentioned at all, it's in general poor lifestyle terms, as an afterthought to drinking, smoking, and lack of exercise. You just don't get people making emotional pronouncements about bacon lovers not deserving cancer treatment or kebab fans burdening the NHS. Few are criticised for following the kind of meat-laden diets (Atkins, Dukan), which, one can only presume, are colonic timebombs waiting to happen.

Where meat is concerned, it is almost as if we have developed a personal responsibility blind spot. Where we just shrug and say, meat is here, it's always been here, it is what it is. But meat hasn't always been here in the form of additive-stuffed burgers, pork pies, sausages et al. In my opinion, it's the meat eaters' duty to take this information on board and take direct personal responsibility for the consequences, just as alcoholics and smokers do.

It's not as if they haven't been warned countless times about the dangers – how wilfully ill-informed can people be? Or maybe they're just hard. In fact, I'm not dumb enough to eat meat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h-IzA4_NR0

If Meat Eaters were Honest

7. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

I tried a vegetarian diet for 2 months and went back to a balanced diet. When I tried giving up meat I was always thinking about food constantly and not very satisfied after a meal. I've never enjoyed vegetables much. I eat them for my health and the reward of getting the main entree :) Without that I found myself constantly snacking and always thinking about food and that got in the way. I try and eat an equal amount of chicken, fish, and red meat and I don't do it to excess - no 2 pound steaks for me. You are lucky your body works so well on a vegetable-only diet.

I also tried three times to give up caffeine. Some people get by fine without it. I tried and I couldn't get through the day without it. Thought I only needed to get past the addiction. Never did. After a month I gave up because I was getting less done every day and wasting too much time trying to stay awake and being sleepy all the time.

8. myark

myark Senior Member

Like any addiction, an addiction to animal products is both physiological and psychological. The culture and family traditions have held that indulging in meat and dairy and eggs is good and right. And omnipresent marketing and advertising campaigns constantly tell us that we should feel good about eating animals.

Do not deprive yourself so that you end up going back to your old habits. Find delicious food and enjoy the old traditions you always had with family and friends. Substitute hamburgers with veggie burgers, hot dogs with soy dogs, chicken enchiladas with bean and guacamole enchiladas. Have your familiar looking meals but make (or order) them with better ingredients.

9. myark

myark Senior Member

Hoyt states to me

Just because I am tired of being preached to and told what to eat what to drive how to live my life. It is not your job to be the boss of me. Get lost. Hoyt

I could not care one bit about you hoyte as its not about yo,u its about saving the oceans.

you have been constantly hitting my rep which means nothing as you do.
    Stop stalkng me troll

10. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

Try adding a small serving of meat, poultry, fish, and dairy to balance your diet for a month and if your body works the way mine does, you'll find you have been missing out on extra energy; you will be less agitated and able to focus without obsessing on food so often. I am happier with meat in my diet. The resource issue is a problem, yes. It's difficult to figure out how the whole world can have an improved diet and not run out of resources.

11. myark

myark Senior Member

Future of Food

By Bill Gates
    on March 18, 2013

Like most people, I don’t think I can be easily fooled. But that’s just what happened when I was asked to taste a chicken taco and tell whether the meat inside was real or fake.

The meat certainly had the look and the smell of chicken. I took a bite and it had the taste and texture of real chicken, too. But I was surprised to learn that there wasn’t an ounce of real chicken it. The “meat” was made entirely of plants. And yet, I couldn’t tell the difference.

What I was experiencing was more than a clever meat substitute. It was a taste of the future of food.

By 2050, the world’s population will grow to more than 9 billion and our appetite for meat will grow along with it. The demand for meat will have doubled between 2000 and 2050.

This is happening in large part because economies are growing and people can afford more meat. That’s all good news.

But raising meat takes a great deal of land and water and has a substantial environmental impact. Put simply, there’s no way to produce enough meat for 9 billion people. Yet we can’t ask everyone to become vegetarians. (As much as I like vegetables, I know I wouldn’t want to give up hamburgers – one of my favorite foods).

That’s why we need more options for producing meat without depleting our resources.

Some exciting new companies are taking on this challenge. They are creating plant-based alternatives to chicken, ground beef, even eggs, that are produced more sustainably, and taste great.

To see how food scientists are able to use plants to create meat alternatives, watch this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjlVq5GiHbo

I also tasted Beyond Eggs, Hampton Creek Foods’ egg substitute, which doesn’t contain the high cholesterol of real eggs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L04DdQMhL5w

If you’re interested in tasting these meat alternatives, my friend Nathan Myhrvold asked the chefs at his Modernist Cuisine Cooking Lab to create some recipes with Beyond Meat’s chicken-free product. They cooked Chicken-Free Tikka Masala (watch the video and get the recipe) and Grilled Chicken-Free Strips and Vegetable Salad with Sunflower Seed Pesto (watch the video and get the recipe).

Try them for yourself. I think you’ll discover that you can create a nutritious, protein-rich meal that’s good for you and the environment.

You’ll be surprised it’s not the real thing.

Attached Files:

12. myark

myark Senior Member

Amazon rainforest losing ability to regulate climate, scientist warns

The Amazon rainforest has degraded to the point where it is losing its ability to benignly regulate weather systems, according to a stark new warning from one of Brazil’s leading scientists.

In a new report, Antonio Nobre, researcher in the government’s space institute, Earth System Science Centre, says the logging and burning of the world’s greatest forest might be connected to worsening droughts – such as the one currently plaguing São Paulo – and is likely to lead eventually to more extreme weather events.

The study, which is a summary drawing from more than 200 existing papers on Amazonian climate and forest science, is intended as a wake-up call.

“I realised the problem is much more serious than we realised, even in academia and the reason is that science has become so fragmented. Atmospheric scientists don’t look at forests as much as they should and vice versa,” said Nobre, who wrote the report for a lay audience. “It’s not written in academic language. I don’t need to preach to the converted. Our community is already very alarmed at what is going on.”

A draft seen by the Guardian warns that the “vegetation-climate equilibrium is teetering on the brink of the abyss.” If it tips, the Amazon will start to become a much drier savanna, which calamitous consequences.

The Amazon works as a giant pump, channeling moisture inland via aerial rivers and rainclouds that form over the forest more dramatically than over the sea, the author says. It also provides a buffer against extreme weather events, such as tornados and hurricanes.

In the past 20 years, the author notes that the Amazon has lost 763,000 sq km, an area the size of two Germanys. In addition another 1.2m sq km has been estimated as degraded by cutting below the canopy and fire.

As a result, the report notes, the deterioration of the rainforest – through logging, fires and land clearance – has resulted in a decrease in forest transpiration and a lengthening of dry seasons.

13. myark

myark Senior Member

World Vegan Day 2014: 'Naked' Peta protesters lie covered in 'blood' at Trafalgar Square

About 100 supporters lay in heaps holding signs that read “choose life: choose vegan” and “one billion animals killed for flesh each year”.

The animal rights group were also handing out vegan starter kits to passerbys.

Peta Director Mimi Bekhechi said the organisation is challenging others to take-up a vegan diet. “Animals feel pain, fear, love and joy, just as humans do, yet billions of them are killed every year for products that are poisoning the environment and contributing to the UK's obesity epidemic," she said.

“PETA is challenging people to think about the massive toll that the meat industry takes on animals, the Earth and human health – and to go vegan.”

14. sdowney717

sdowney717 Senior Member

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Just so you know I believe I gave you positive rep a long time ago for your folding cat design. Try not to go off the rails over your desire to run the world.

I will now put you on my ignore list since I reject everything about you except your building and designing skills of which I haven't seen much recent evidence.