Our Oceans are Under Attack

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Ah, you took off the bit about you'd want that investigated.

Well, I'm in favor of them researching any correlation between smoking and health problems, but not passing draconian laws based on speculation.

They already KNOW there are genetic predilections to health problems like heart disease, cancer, obesity, diabetes, and are trying to isolate those in the genome.
    They also know, certain work environments, living conditions, personal habits (like smoking and excessive drinking), and advanced age, damage/weaken the body's ability to ward off disease.

So, why in the campaign against smoking, do they willfully ignore these other factors?

Doesn't fit their philosophy.

You can't imagine how many times, doctors have said to me following a checkup.
    "I hate to tell you this!"
    What,Doc?
    "I always hate to tell a patient this!"
    I'm a big boy Doc. Tell me.
    "People who smoke as much as you, I just hate saying it. but your lungs are clear!"

:D
    Philosophy interfering with "science".

2. myark

myark Senior Member

About 10% of healthy people experience grandiose thoughts but do not meet full criteria for a diagnosis of GD.

People suffering from grandiose delusions wrongly hold themselves at an extraordinary high status in their mind.

There are two alternative accounts for getting grandiose delusions:
    •Delusion-as-defense account: defense of the mind against lower self-esteem and depression
    •Emotion-consistent account: result of exaggerated emotions.

3. Yobarnacle

Are you going to psychoanalyze me from afar?

Karl Popper claimed Freud practiced pseudo-science, because he did that, remote from the patient and after the fact.
    "Karl Popper, an Austrian/British philosopher who is believed by many to be one of the greatest philosophers of science, pointed out that Freudian psychoanalysis makes use of a complicated conceptual structure to explain human behavior after it occurs, but does not make predictions in advance (Hacohen, 2000; Stanovich, 2007). The tendency to give after-the-fact explanations and no specific predictions makes it unscientific."

I'll post some of my boat pictures in a week or two, when I'm there working on it.
    I'll pose with the boat and a cigar.

Meanwhile, ask yourself:
    "Why you are addicted to pseudo-sciences"?

4. Yobarnacle

Are you suggesting I am claiming some "superman" status?
    Various doctors, different years, lamenting, they hate telling smokers their lungs are clear, suggests to me a frequent frustration for the doctor, not a uniqueness claim by me.
    Just one of an ordinary crowd of clear lunged smokers.
    Frustrates you too?

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I feel really bad for those lab beagles, all lab animals really. I like dogs more than I like most people and can think of a few who could take the place of the dogs in that lab.

6. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Climate change to drive fish away from tropics | Business Standard

7. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Welcome to the Fly Farm | Discover

8. Yobarnacle

Two optimistic posts IN.
    It would be well for fish to seek new grounds. Disperse even better.

9. myark

myark Senior Member

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/378484/Stop-eating-meat-and-save-the-planet-says-United-Nations

'Stop eating meat and save the planet' says United Nations

Experts urged westerners to become "demi-tarians" by halving the amount of meat they eat.
    A report for the UN Environment Programme said that pollution from fertilisers is threatening human health and the environment by causing phenomena such as toxic algal blooms.
    It said that 80 per cent of the nitrogen and phosphorus used in fertilisers is consumed by livestock because it is used to grow the crops they eat.
    The scientists, led by Professor Mark Sutton of the UK's Centre for Ecology & Hydrology, said eating smaller portions or having meat every other day would help slash pollution.
    Europeans eat 35 per cent more protein than recommended by the World Health Organisation while Americans overeat it by 58 per cent - and most of it comes from meat.
    Meanwhile regions such as Asia, and particularly, China, are increasingly eating meat as their economies develop.
    Professor Mark Sutton, chairman of the International Nitrogen Initiative, said the West needs to set an example to help slow the world's growing reliance on meat.
    He said: “To aim towards eating half of the amount of meat we are currently eating is a good starting point.
    "We should aim to be demi-tarians - eating half the meat we have typically been eating."
    We need to realise that over-eating is not healthy - not for the environment and not for ourselves.”
    He added that this switch could reduce the risk of a repeat of the horsemeat scandal which has been triggered by long trans-continental supply chains.
    He advocated a more local supply chain which would make it easier to trace where meat came from as well as reducing pollution.
    He said: "If we eat meat less often, we might go for a higher quality product when we do."
    Co-author Dr Bruna Grazzetti of the Universite Pierre et Marie Curie in Paris, said: "We need to reduce consumption of meat in countries were consumption is excessive compared to recommendations for a healthy diet.
    "It does not mean becoming vegetarians but, say, reducing the size of the portions of meat we eat or not eating meat every day."
    The report says that humans have "massively altered" the natural flows of nitrogen, phosphorus and other nutrients.
    It adds: "While this has had huge benefits for world food and energy production, it has caused a web of water and air pollution that is damaging human health, causing toxic algal blooms, killing fish, threatening sensitive eco-systems and contributing to climate change."
    It set out a 10-point plan to reduce the pollution, including using nutrients more efficiently as well as cutting meat consumption.
    With 60% of our daily intake of nutrients coming from animal products, experts have warned that pollution will continue to rise unless we stop our over consumption of meat.
    The report was backed by Achim Steiner, United Nations Under-Secretary General and Executive Director, who said: “Whether we live in a part of the world with too much or too little nutrients, our daily decisions can make a difference.”

10. Yobarnacle

You do realize, Myark, the UN is the most corrupt political organization on earth?
    We don't take orders, or instructions, or heed wishes of the UN.
    We ARE the biggest UN financial supporter, which I'd reduce to LEAST, and have veto power (only China, France, Russia, United Kingdom, and United States can veto),, but it's only a place for nations to talk about problems, without real power.
    So who cares, besides you, what the UN says?

11. hoytedow

When you give neg rep, don't be a coward. Identify yourself. Trolling? Really? Two halves make!

12. myark

myark Senior Member

Who is We ARE, We don't ?

The name "United Nations", coined by United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt

People with a delusion of grandeur often have the conviction of having some great but unrecognized talent or insight.
    They may also believe they have made some important discovery that others don’t understand or appreciate.
    Grandiose delusions may have religious content, such as the person believes he or she has received a special message from God.
    Sometimes, in popular language, this disorder may be known as “megalomania,” but is more accurately referred to as narcissistic personality disorder if it is a core component of a person’s personality and identity.
    In such disorders, the person has a greatly out-of-proportion sense of their own worth and value in the world.

13. hoytedow

The worst fate of any nation would be to become united with all the rest. To surrender sovereignty would be to don the leash.

14. myark

myark Senior Member

World may be forced to go vegetarian by 2050, scientists say

By the year 2050, you may be forced to become a vegetarian. That is, if Sweden's water scientists are to be believed.
    According to the Stockholm International Water Institute, "There will not be enough water available on current croplands to produce food for the expected 9 billion population in 2050 if we follow current trends and changes towards diets common in western nations."
    Humans now derive about 20 percent of their daily protein intake from animal-based products, reports London's Guardian. But a new report published by the institute says the world's population will have to cut that figure to 5 percent by 2050 to accommodate the planet's "considerable regional water deficits."
    Why not just produce more food?
    "Nine hundred million people already go hungry and 2 billion people are malnourished in spite of the fact that per capita food production continues to increase," the report said. "With 70% of all available water being in agriculture, growing more food to feed an additional 2 billion people by 2050 will place greater pressure on available water and land."
    So vegetarianism, the scientists say, is one option to combat the water shortage.
    "A move towards vegetarian diets could help free up large portions of arable land to human food production," Orion Jones wrote on BigThink.com. "A third of current farmland is used to grow crops that feed animals. Additionally 'animal protein-rich food consumes five to 10 times more water than a vegetarian diet.'"
    The report was released for the start of "Water Week" and the annual world water conference in Stockholm. And while the forecast may sound dire, the world's water situation is already grave.
    According to the World Water Council, 1.1 billion people now live without clean drinking water.

15. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

That would be my ark. He thinks everyone is a troll. He thinks you are saying he should be a lab test subject. I think he has been already.