Our Oceans are Under Attack

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masalai

masalai masalai

I sometimes feel the efforts of doing what is necessary by caring for the future, is like pushing **** uphill with a pointy stick - am all too often tempted to shove that pointy stick up the fundamental orifice of some of the blind recalcitrant emus/ostriches that seem to love to bury their collective heads in the sands of denial....

2. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

Very sorry there Eddy, I didn't mean to be insulting and smug.

I'm just so often surprised at lack of knowledge many US citizens have about the big variety of other cultures of this world.

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

its a thankless battle Mas
    I gave a short lecture on the plight of Asian elephants to a small audience the other week and almost none of them realized there were only about 30,000 left in the wild and that number is dwindling fast
    really fast
    its strange
    in an area of the world were the three major religions all venerate the elephant there is virtually no conservation effort sufficient to ensure the species survival
    if people who worship elephants cant find it in there hearts to save them from extinction
    what hope is there for species that have less glamorous a positions in the human mythos

your analogy seems accurate enough
    maybe we just need more people to try rather a little harder
    whole thing is a crime no one is accountable for
    and few are willing to do enough about it
    to make a difference

its called apathy

the two largest extinction events known were both most likely caused by an anaerobic stratification of the oceans ( or at least it was a significant contribution to the events )
    basically the oceans died

this time round
    it was apathy and ignorance

B

4. mark775

mark775 Guest

Don't let the head² get off that easy, eddy - You're doin' a good job but call him on things like not knowing the difference between "expose" and "espouse". He's in this league, invited or not, and it's immaterial that his buddies gave him some karma points. It's immaterial that English may not be his first language. He didn't make a typo to make us think he's a prick - He's just a prick. Call him out.
    "like pushing ****" - "Not just LIKE it..."
    "my last post strangely wandered off course somewhat" - What is new?
    "I'm just so often surprised at lack of knowledge many US citizens have..." -Any time, any subject, _______.
    Just like everything else, we build it, we drag their asses from the fire and, like a muslim using a cell-phone to detonate his kid near some Westerners (ahhh.., they blow up so fast...) the ungrateful use our technology to turn on us till the next time they need bailing out. They can just shove it.
    As for Boston, I'm beginning to think that he's the only original one of the bunch. Don't have to like him. Still don't like what he stands for most of the time but I believe for him, at least, thoughts are original. Anybody with "mas" in their name, Puerto-potty , TripleTurd, the head².., who else? -just pretenders, the lot.

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

Here, I'll say it for you - "The ball, not the man." FU. I hope it hurts.

6. Boston

Boston Previous Member

all right kids
    I think the lack of civility we are all guilty of from time to time is getting a little out of hand
    Mark
    I think it would be polite if you did a little editing
    lest our moderator do it for you
    what do you say
    lets keep it a little cleaner

make what point you will
    but lets all act a little more civilized ok

[​IMG]

7. mark775

mark775 Guest

You're right. I won't call him "Brian" anymore.

8. Knut Sand

Knut Sand Senior Member

Ahemm...
    Most of this quoted post I read as an attack at Boston's posts (or at ....Boston...?). But I have to point out that the line quoted above here is mine....I admit it's not too original either :p . And if my posts seem to wander off into the woods, I'll not be to surpriced if I stumble upon you out there, as some of your posts also are pretty far away from the issue of this thread... Unless some "muslim" have gotten to a cellular first....

Why this fear of strangers? Seem embedded in (some parts of) the American society. Even in the Arab world, most people use their phones as.... eh well; phones...? A man with a lot of experience in travelling once said; " A stranger is a friend you have not yet met". Ok, so you get lifted from time to time, so what? Big deal. Some of us Europeans wander about in this world as open/ unsecured minibanks in areas of this world where unemployment is a serious business (= behaving like idjits). But mostly you get friendly faces/ friends.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  9. mark775

mark775 Guest

Just as I would be out of my realm in a Lutefisk eating contest or pushing crab pots uphill, this guy doesn't seem to get any of it.
    You nimrods go back to bashing what I, and much of the backbone of the free world have worked hard for. I'm going to go back to work and will seldom notice your keywords (Ugly American, Septic, etc.).

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

I think what the world ( illusion of freedom or not ) is working hard for is survival
    whether it be in the irrational approach of eating every last thing on the planet and then starving
    or in the more rational approach of rationing what little there is left in an effort to maintain any form of future supply

Im recomending the later
    seems like the logical and decent thing to do

that way we get to enjoy Blue Whales, Stellar Sea Lions, Monk Seals, Killer Whales, Salmon, Tuna and all the rest of the things we live with on this little blue jewel

the science says we have decimated the ocean communities, demolished the ocean ecology, polluted the ocean environment and introduced persistent bio-toxins into the oceans food chain.

If industry would like us to believe something different
    whats new

Im positive the guys who fish work dam hard for a living
    but the guys who managed the fisheries were fools and failed miserably
    and if the fishermen end up frustrated and lashing out in various directions ( regardless of the logic or illogic involved ) Its hard to get to mad at em when most of them at least made some effort to follow the rules. It was the fools who made the rules and there lack of foresight, there lack of concern for much past there wallets, The failure of the governments to govern the open sea and the failure of science to scream loud and long enough to make a difference.
    Now the oceans are in deep **** and the solutions are going to be a lot harder to enact let alone enforce. Most fishing regulations today are like that last panicked denial of the cliff we are heading off. Inevitable is what Ive heard it called when already 95/100 fish over one foot are gone and were still taking those last five as fast as we possibly can.

many of the biggest names in ecology are suggesting that we have reached the point were we need some pretty radical solutions be enacted to save the oceans
    or we loose them
    80% of the corral in the Caribbean
    50% of the corral in the Indian ocean
    dead
    those are some huge numbers
    95/100 fish
    gone

and folks are still arguing about what the quota should be

estimates range from 10 to 20 years on the survival of open ocean fishing
    of the 17 major fisheries at the turn of the last century I think it is 9 that have collapsed with 7 being fished to its presumed but unsustainable limit and 1 ( the Alaskan ) appearing to be sustainable "maybe", Course that wont be for long when its the only commercially viable fishery left and the worlds fishing fleets engage in the feeding frenzy that is bound to follow the opening of the northwest passage.

so what should the quota on that last five percent of the population be
    anyone remember what that exponential doubling thread was all about
    cause its past 11:59
    long past 50% resource use
    moments from midnight
    and so many people are still thinking sunshine

6.7 billion people
    the us dep of agriculture states that each person consumes or wastes 4.5 lb a day
    thats about 30 billion lbs of food a day and another 27 billion tons of ****
    every day

we take about 100 million tons legally from the oceans
    about 100 million tons illegally
    and dump as bycatch somewhere between 200 ~ 600 million tons
    thats roughly 400 million tons conservatively removed from the oceans annually
    800,000 million lbs
    2.2 billion lbs a day from the ocean with 1.1 being just killed and dumped back

or about 3.6 percent of our food
    actually less cause about the third of all ocean catch is just ground into animal feed

11. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

The oceans will recover ...
    If...
    We all stop eating sushi...
    Stop flushing the toilet...
    Use birth control....
    Practice genocide...

Apart from that ... it is a matter of when not if we destroy everything until we become the extinct. Government regulations don't do a thing about it.
    Look at the drug war... Drugs are illegal, so no one has told the drug dealers and buyers.

Where I live it is against law to Snapper or Grouper below a certain size, so we import them from Peru or wherever.

Do your best on you own Boston, teach people about the wonders of nature before it is all gone.

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

your right
    how about something a little happier

this is one of my faves
    lives deep and is generally never seen above 500 meters

they come in red and blue color forms
    this is not the camera or is it artificial lighting
    these guys are seriously bio luminescent

the last critter in this film is teropterix
    its a segmented worm lives in the abyss never touches land and grows continually throughout its life
    they have been seen as large 60 meters

this next is new
    discovered only a few years ago its never been caught but is thought to be a new type of cepholopod
    it has characteristics of squid octopus and cuttlefish
    the largest specimen filmed was about 20 meters

[​IMG]

thing has eight arms but is build like a squid but has an obvious skeletal structure of some kind sorta like a cuttle fish
    the arm structure is unlike anything ever seen before
    and
    you should see this thing move
    Ill try to get a link to a flicker posted but there real shy about releasing much on this guy

looks like they finally posted some films of him

best films they have so far but its dam cool whatever it is

oh I should go dig up a pict of a juvenile form of Attolla Wyvelli

[​IMG]

now is any of that worth saving

[​IMG]

13. brian eiland

Anoxic Events

I posted this reply under "the carbon loop" over on the "CRUDE" subject thread:

14. brian eiland

BTW, this 'CRUDE' subject thread was posted on two different forums, this one and the "Yachtforums". The thread on this forum got hijacked by a lot of drivel. The one over on Yachtforums is much more pleasant to visit

15. masalai

masalai masalai

This is a message about morals and immorality in many of us... The author is writing as an American of America, but it also applies to Australia and elsewhere in this world...

"...Evil in principle or practice; deviating from morality; contrary to the moral or divine law; addicted to vice or sin; sinful; immoral; profligate
    To put it in the most basic terms, what has happened in this country in the last decade is that evil wicked people have attained positions of power in government, banking, and industry and have committed sins against humanity for their own glory and enrichment. Those who should have stood up to these evil doers are just as guilty as the engineer driving the train to Auschwitz. Albert Einstein understood this danger:
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.”
    There have always been evil people. Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Bernie Madoff, Dennis Kozlowski, Charles Manson, Charles Keating Jr., Joe McCarthy, Jeff Skilling, Bernie Ebbers, Jim Jones, Michael Milken, and Ivan Boesky come to mind. Some committed horrendous atrocities, others stole billions, others destroyed reputations, and others lived lives of decadence and immorality. The reason they are all household names is because they were able to commit their crimes because other people didn’t do anything to stop them. All of these men could have been stopped if citizens, coworkers, auditors, Prime Ministers, government regulators, Boards of Directors, Congressmen, or family members had been brave enough and moral enough to make a stand against their evil deeds. The one and only poem that ever made an impression on me in high school was The Hangman by Maurice Ogden. Below are the last stanzas. Evil can only flourish in society if we allow it to flourish. A society united against wickedness, dishonesty, corruption and wantonness could stand the test of time. I’m afraid our Great American Republic has allowed evil to flourish, and the hangman’s scaffold has grown to enormous proportions..."

http://theburningplatform.com/econom...r-the-wicked-1