Our Oceans are Under Attack

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoEyeDeer

NoEyeDeer Senior Member

It's more that I am remembering William S. Burrows' "Words of Advice to Young People". Specifically, Number 5. :D

2. wavepropulsion

wavepropulsion Junior Member

We need to understand the differences, something is just propaganda over a real problem for a variety of interests. The problems are real.
    Manipulation of information is may be one of the biggest problems in the "information era".
    I question myself about the results of different strategics, the global strategics. The biofuel produces profit to big companyes, but the transgenic corn is unwealty as the agrotoxics used in a mass production (as oppposite to the official studyes). Then the corn, what is the basis of some mexican population, became very expensive just to bring environmentally friendly cars fake to snob people.
    I respect Myark and most of the eastern philosophy of life, including vegetarianism. But in west this become a circus -and a market- for the X generation, they eat transgenic soy as being something natural and wealthy.
    When we create two currents of opinion about a material problem, we still creating a market and a political point of view. We can agree in a enviromentally friendly attitude, as an ethic basis, that not differs of a right attitude of respect of life that does the daily life easyer.
    Much dates and complex studyes just add darkness to the matter. If you are in the boat don't throw the bottle to the water, simple as this. Still demostrated by the facts, people toughts and efforts or discussions not solve any problem, because meanwhile "green" companyes still cutting trees in Amazonia.

3. myark

myark Senior Member

http://www.occupyforanimals.org/human-starvation.html

Take this 6 facts

•worldwide, about one billion people suffer from hunger and about 8.8 million people die of hunger every year

•more than 70% of all grains reaped by humanity on the planet are feed to animals that we exploit in agriculture

•to produce 1 kg of meat, you need 16 kg of grains + 15.OOO litres of water

•on the surface, which is needed to harvest 1 kg of meat, could generate, in the same period 200 kg of tomatoes or 160 kg of potatoes

•50% of water pollution in Europe are caused by factory farms

•the contribution of livestock to the greenhouse effect is more important as that of the entire global auto, air and waterway together

Attached Files:

4. Grey Ghost

Grey Ghost Senior Member

215 liters of water are needed to grow 1 kg of tomatoes.
    They are 15 times less calories per kg than beef so 15 x 215 = 3225 liters needed instead of 15000 liters to produce the same calories. That is a lot more production where water is going to be at a premium.

5. myark

myark Senior Member

Do not forget the 16kg of grain,
    To produce 1 kg of meat, “you need 16 kg of grains” + 15.OOO litres of water

Also 160 kg of potatoes = 1kg meat.

A person to have food for 200 days was only 1kg of meat and another had 160 kg of potatoes for that same 200 days I would clearly choose potatoes.
    http://www.occupyforanimals.org/human-starvation.html

Attached Files:

6. wavepropulsion

The yanomami tribes from Amazonia are one of the more, if not the more, agressive peoples. This was a cultural change after they was displaced from the shores by 'civilization' and they lose the proteins. This originated deep cultural changes, affecting also the natality. The selective killings of new born girls to have more men to hunt, then the men fight for the girls who was less than normal.
    Complex reasonings and info don't do the things work, but some commom sense and knowledge of the dynamics of the culture. The inhuit are almost purely carnivorous. A teatral inhuit company went to NY long ago, may be in the 60s,and they ate the candles in need of fat.
    Another thing is not all the lands are appropiate for cultives and, for good or for bad, we ate meat for at least a million years and we need their enzims and other nutrients. The cultures with more evolution, again for good or for bad, had the bigger protein consumption and is a fact. The indian wrestlers are allowed to eat meat cause the energy provision.
    To respect life of animals is good, but anyway the lions will eat meat, is natural. What is not natural is kill for sport or whatever else.

7. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

8. myark

myark Senior Member

Murray Rose

Murray Rose passed away at the age of 73 of leukemia but he is fondly remembered as one of the worlds most historic vegan athletes. He was Australia’s Olympic swimming star. He had set 15 world records and won six Olympic medals, including four golds, which made him a sports legend and hero in Australia.

During Rose’s long career he ate a vegan diet and followed a vegan lifestyle. In 1958 he told Groucho Marx on the radio program “You Bet Your Life” that his gold medals in 1956 could be attributed to his veganism.

http://www.ecorazzi.com/2012/07/27/top-10-historic-vegetarian-and-vegan-olympians/

Attached Files:

9. wavepropulsion

I forgot something. Years ago, in one of my first travels, I been into a native community deep in the bush, in another country, and I ate monkeys but just I was telling it after eating for a couple of months. Then when I come home I decided to be vegetarian, after some time I fill loathing just for the smell of meat.
    Went to the doctor for a normal checking and my uric acid was too high, very high. I wondered because I don't eating meat and the week later I did another checking in monday. But sunday I went to a bbq, I ate the meat more than normal. In monday did the checking and the uric acid went normal. Have not logic, but I think this was my body was eating itself.
    I believe my english still confusing now, is too late here, but is understanable.

10. myark

myark Senior Member

11. wavepropulsion

I think some hunters in Canada was into the forest for the whole winter just eating rabbits. All of them, may be five persons, die for the lack of mineral salts. If they eat some grass they survive, but didn't.

12. myark

myark Senior Member

Answer "DEATH"

13. wavepropulsion

14. myark

myark Senior Member

15. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

where'd the butter come from?
    Maybe dairy cattle don't "pollute' like beef cattle?
    or was it sheep, goat, or kangaroo butter?
    I bet it was vegetable butter from butter beans or butternut squash. :p