Our Oceans are Under Attack

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by brian eiland, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Well, it would certainly make sense to study those minima in places far from the influence of the sea, if they are up similar to the overall picture, then something is acting as a heat blanket. Water vapour certainly does that, which is why deserts can become very cold at night even when blistering hot by day, the humidity being so very low.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Exactly. Green house effect is real, but co2 is far from the dominant gas.
    Also since the day and night max/min temps are averages, then changing temps in some areas (coastal) would affect over all averages.
    But by all means, let's fund real research and real science. Throw those manipulative climate models in the trash.
    I can imput data into my computer that results in your computer readout King Arthur of Camelot is the once and future president of the USA. Not true, of course.
    Mainly through a wonderful technological human/machine interface called a keyboard.
    :D
    Climate models are as easily manipulated for a desired output. GIGO. Garbage in, garbage out.

3. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Presumably the on-shore/off-shore wind process has been happening for as long as there has been a shore. What has changed to create the overnight minimum temperature increases that Mr Efficiency mentions?

4. ImaginaryNumber

What's the link between cosmic rays and climate change?

5. Yobarnacle

Did I say cosmic rays caused warming? Did the website I cited say that? No.
    What I quoted was the sun is the major driver of climate changes. And there is a defined observable 1500 year cycle. MWP again folks.
    The author said and I quoted ""When the sun is LESS bright, more cosmic rays are able to get through to Earth's atmosphere, more clouds form and the planet cools..."

And this chart from your response.
    Very obviously as the sunspots increase (green line) the cosmic rays decrease (blue) and inversely.

Something about the sunspots or causing the sun spots, appears to also throttle the cosmic ray penetration.

So they got at least part of it right. As to increasing clouds, seems they are studying that at Cern and other centers.

The author admitted the solar brilliance (not cosmic rays) could account for some but not ALL the warming and some component/s was missing. Then offered reduced cosmic rays Not making cooling clouds as missing component.
    Cosmic rays increased...O K that didn't fly.

I'm not the one claiming we have it all figured out and the science is settled and debate over. I have always urged more research and real science.

But I noticed you didn't address your problem that it's impossible for co2 to drive climate and that man's contribution is negligible.

My argument with your crowd has ALWAYS been about your efforts to impose controls on co2 and thusly on us, when there is zero evidence co2 is a problem and zero possibility eliminating anthropogenic co2 a solution.

We need more research and less fear mongering.

And I wish your crowd would stop thinking there is some single monstrous cause of all our problems. COSMIC RAYS DON"T CAUSE WARMING! True. Maybe they cause a teeny bit, and 100 other things each cause a teeny bit?
    I mean, it's only warmed up a teeny bit.
    Half a degree C in 125 years.

Attached Files:

6. Yobarnacle

As to the sea/shore wind cycle, when it get warmer, then the heat driven land breeze fans away heat from the land, blowing it out to sea.
    Lower max temp in day.
    And the heatsink ocean returns some heat at night with the seabreeze blowing on land, raising the night minimum.

The hotter the day is, the greater the moderating effect of the sea/shore breezes.
    (I wonder if the lack of water makes the deserts blistering during the day and freezing at night?) :D

The thermometers are located on land you know.

Temperatures are always more moderate near water, bet you knew that.

7. ImaginaryNumber

Over the last five to ten years there has been tens of thousands of posts on BD.net regarding Climate Change, and you've been a very active participant in many of those discussions. So it's hard for me to believe that you are still unaware of the multitude of research that's been done confirming that man-emitted CO2 has played a very substantial role in global warming. To me it sound like this discussion is for you more like a high-school debate where two debaters are arbitrarily assigned opposing sides of a topic, and they must then come up with whatever persuasive nonsense they think up to "win" the debate.

But in case I'm wrong about you, and you really would like to know about the science of CO2 and AGW, I've compiled a bibliography of readable articles for you to peruse to get you up to speed. Please note that these are not scientific studies themselves, but rather are synthesis of the conclusions of many scientific studies. In many cases links are provided to the original studies so you can check for yourself that the original science has not been misrepresented.

8. myark

myark Senior Member

QUOTE=ImaginaryNumber;748706 Over the last five to ten years there has been tens of thousands of posts on BD.net regarding Climate Change, and you've been a very active participant in many of those discussions. So it's hard for me to believe that you are still unaware of the multitude of research that's been done confirming that man-emitted CO2 has played a very substantial role in global warming. To me it sound like this discussion is for you more like a high-school debate where two debaters are arbitrarily assigned opposing sides of a topic, and they must then come up with whatever persuasive nonsense they think up to "win" the debate.

That's Yob in a nut shell.

9. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Maybe it is time to close this thread. There must more appropriate forums than boat design.net

10. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Probably a good idea to close this thread at this point. The original topic of the thread, the health of the oceans and threats to the ocean's health, would seem to be relevant to boating. However at over 2,200 posts the thread has become so long that it's very difficult to read from the first to last page and it seems in the last few pages the thread has started to simply become repetitive and more adversarial rather than enjoyable and informative discussion. If someone wants to start a new thread on a more focused aspect of the health of the oceans that would be relevant to boating and interesting to fellow boaters, you are welcome to start a new thread. Thanks.