Oops!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by lewisboats, Feb 9, 2013.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

'Drunken skippering? Really, is there another way to enjoy boating more? Hell, I couldn't find my boat, without a beer to lead the way. It's a bit like a natural divining rod, to the cooler full of their brothers, still aboard. Even if the ice box is empty, they naturally want to find their way home, to their safe, comfortable and refreshing little box, aboard my boats.

2. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I'm not sure my boat even works without beer on board. It's never been tried.

3. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

Once the anchor has been set it's TOOTY TIME :D
    beer - wine - gin - whiskey - anything goes :p

Attached Files:

4. PAR

I rest my case (of beer, naturally) . . .

5. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

- probably just as well Paul . . .

6. latestarter

latestarter Senior Member

These are expressions I have not heard recently;

"wet boat" meaning one that has alcohol on board
    "dry boat" meaning no alcohol.

7. PAR

Living in the south, where wet and dry counties exist, this has more meaning than you realize. A wet county is easy to recognize, just after crossing the county line you'll find a handful of liquor stores with drive through windows.

8. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Attached Files:

9. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

My WET supplies I use as ballast. Cheaper that way.

10. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

In my early days I lived in Johnson County, Kentucky, a dry county. They decided to vote on making it wet but one guy said "If we were any wetter we'd drown!". The meaning being lots of booze was getting in anyway.

11. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

12. PAR

I live in a wet county in Kentucky (go Cats) and we had a drive through liquor store in our town of 250. yep, we had two churches, a hardware store, a bank, a grocery store, two gas stations, a drive through and walk in liquor stores. We had a real traffic light at one end of town and flashing yellow at the other. Of course, the traffic light went to a flashing yellow at midnight. Our honestly elected mayor was a yellow lab, who served for many years, until being hit by a pickup, in front of the hardware store, where he usually hung out with the boys. We mourned for quite a while, until a golden retriever of particular charm was elected.

13. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

Paul, I envy you your elected officials. As far as judging a town from its description is concerned, surely in this age of seniors and doomers what is really important is the number of pharmacies. I an proud to say that I live in a 3 pharmacy town! And only one beer store . . . but it's run by daschunds keeping their noses to the ground . . .

14. Ike

Ike Senior Member

For a short while I lived in a one pharmacy town. (but it had 13 bars and 7 churches and all the bars were on Church street, and all the Churches were on Main street. Weird.) Can you imagine what it is like knowing that your pharmacist knows the ailments and proclivities of everyone in town! I used to drive 20 miles to the nearest city to get my prescriptions filled.

15. Titirangi

Titirangi Previous Member

A few year ago I hired on a painter, with well earned rep for brush varnishing to redo the interior and coach house on 70' ketch. Alby who liked a drink found the liquor locker, went on a bender for two days without leaving the boat. If his wife hadn't called me looking for her husband silly bugger would have drunk himself to death or drowned.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.