Ocean News

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ImaginaryNumber, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

I don't worry about money.
    Times in my life I had lots, and times I had none.
    Consider the flowers. They don't work or struggle. Who is dressed as beautiful as they are?
    I trust in my Master.

2. myark

myark Senior Member

Study examined the language on blogs written by climate change skeptics.
    It says global warming deniers often associate with conspiracy theoriess

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ublic-debate-global-warming-study-claims.html

They are either championed as brave voices willing to speak out against the scientific majority or dismissed as cranks who lack the evidence to support their arguments.

Now deniers of global warming have been dealt a stinging blow by psychologists who found skeptics of man-made climate change tend to believe in conspiracy theories.

They say the conspiracist outlook taken by many climate change skeptics is harming the public debate over global warming.

It builds on a previous survey that the researchers conducted, which found up to 40 per cent of those who are skeptical about global warming use imagery that invoked conspiracy theories.
    This includes the use of words like 'scam' and repeated references to faked data and collusion between scientists and governments to deliberately conceal evidence.

Professor Stephan Lewandowsky, an experimental psychologist at the University of Bristol who led the work, said: 'These results add to a growing body of research on the nature of internet discourse and the role of the blogosphere in climate denial.

The paper, which is published in the Journal of Social and Political Psychology, provides a damning view of skeptical bloggers and those who comment on their websites.

The term 'conspiracy theory' is often used as a way of dismissing and ridiculing a person's beliefs.

They also warn that some extreme climate change deniers have also resorted to 'harassing' scientists and the editors of journals.

3. Jamie Kennedy

Jamie Kennedy Senior Member

4. Yobarnacle

5. Yobarnacle

When ever myark loses an argument, he resorts to name calling.
    Denier, conspiracy theorist, selfish, greedy, ect.

He does a lot of name calling because he loses most arguments.

6. myark

myark Senior Member

Climate Denial's Ugly Side: Hate Mail to Scientists

http://insideclimatenews.org/news/1...al-ugly-side-scientists-hate-mail-hayhoe-mann

With their work in the crosshairs of a political ideology, climate scientists find themselves under attack via the Internet.

As delegates from 195 countries work diligently in Paris to hash out an international deal to tackle climate change, their work relies on the huge consensus of climate science that shows the world is headed for a dangerous future if greenhouse gas emissions are not curtailed. But back home in the United States, historically the biggest carbon emitter of all, climate science gets a much rockier reception. In fact, climate scientists find themselves and their work regularly under attack.

Not only are there organized efforts like Lamar Smith's House science committee issuing subpoenas and striving to discredit scientists, but harassment and hate mail arrives every day via the Internet. Their work has found itself in the crosshairs of a political ideology that has an ugly side.

InsideClimate News spoke to nearly a dozen climate scientists and communicators about the harassment they face. For them, death threats, sexist remarks, claims of fraud, bomb threats, letters laced with powdery substances, references to **** and Nazis have become almost standard. According to emails shared with ICN, messages range from derisive ("I hope your mental illness gets better") to downright threatening (“YOU ARE GOING TO HANG SOON!”).

"There are people who become dedicated to following you, who have Google alerts set up on your name, who stalk your Twitter and Facebook accounts, who essentially make a career out of ridiculing and vilifying you," Hayhoe said.

Hate mail and harassment takes a toll on scientists—and science. Researchers spend time and resources addressing denialists' debunked claims in a way the scientific community has never done before, according to a study published in May in the peer-reviewed journal Global Environmental Change. They also often downplay future climate risks to avoid being labeled an "alarmist" by climate contrarians, concluded the same study.

It can also take a toll on personal lives and relationships. And for some, the fear of being attacked, ridiculed or investigated remains years after the hate mail stops.

Hayhoe has found herself snapping at her son during particularly intense periods of attack. "That shouldn't be happening, it shouldn't be affecting my personal life," Hayhoe said. "As scientists we need to take a step back and ask, what toll is this having on me, on my professional work and on my personal life?"

Many of the researchers InsideClimate News spoke with said they have taken steps to protect themselves and their families from hate mail and harassment. Some have unlisted home addresses and phone numbers. Others have arranged that any mail or visitors get filtered through a central office at work, such as the headquarters of their university department.

"Some things are worth fighting for," said Santer, who has been the target of harassment since the mid-1990s. "A clear public understanding of the nature and causes of climate change is worth fighting for.

"If you are doing science that people care about, that is relevant, there will be pushback," he added. "You will receive not only justified or unjustified scientific criticism, but you will encounter attacks on your integrity, your character and your motives. You need to be prepared for them. They are the price of doing what we do. But it is important to remember they are just background noise."

The world needs more researchers talking about global warming right now, not less, climate scientists and communicators said.

7. myark

myark Senior Member

Dear Ocean Lovers,

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/odyssea-3d-a-film-to-save-the-ocean--2#/

Did you know that every other breath you take is a gift from the sea? Yes, that’s right. Phytoplankton in the ocean, through photosynthesis, produce more than half the oxygen on Earth! That is one of the reasons we all depend on the health of the ocean for our survival.

We are accustomed to seeing the large animals such as whales, dolphins and sharks, and many of us have focused on protecting them. However, they represent only the top of the food chain while everything in the ocean and on our planet depends on the bottom of the food chain.

ODYSSEA 3D focuses on this crucial part of the food chain: From plankton to tiny animals that feed on plankton and which are in turn source of food for species in the entire food chain. Protecting the ocean means not just protecting the large animals but also those that are small and fragile.

Thanks to cutting edge 3D technology, Jean-Michel Cousteau and his children Céline and Fabien can now bring to you big screen images of those tiny animals in 3D, Ultra-HD 4K, slow motion, close-ups, macro, and with motion control. Three years of research development were required to obtain the final images that will wow the audiences.

The goal of this film is to educate audiences of all ages about the importance of the ocean and inspire them to protect it. Jean-Michel Cousteau and his children have always fought for the ocean, but today we need all ocean lovers to join us: Become a member of the crew and help us protect our ocean!

The images in the film have been captured in Fiji, the Bahamas, Mexico, Catalina Island and the Mediterranean Sea during three years of filming expeditions funded by our partners, sponsors, and private investors.

We are now entering the most critical part of the production, i.e. turning over a hundred hours of footage into an exciting movie. And we really need your help to complete this final stage! We are launching this crowdfunding campaign to get your support and finish editing, scoring the music, inserting sound effects, writing the narration, and final 3D rendering in 4K.
    We need you to become part of our team not only by financially contributing to our campaign but also by spreading the word to your friends, relatives, co-workers, and colleagues. Together we can complete the movie and also start to market it around the world. The more of us get involved, the easier it will be to find distributors in countries all over the world. And all together we will take part in raising awareness for millions of people to protect the ocean.

We have a very limited timeframe as we want to be ready by May 2016, not only to market the film to worldwide distributors at the Cannes Film Festival, but also to take advantage of an amazing marketing opportunity. Indeed, May 2016 is the 60th anniversary of the Golden Palm Award Jacques Cousteau won in 1956 for THE SILENT WORLD, and Jean-Michel Cousteau would be then able to present ODYSSEA 3D in Cannes as a tribute to his father.

As Jean-Michel Cousteau says, “Protect the ocean and you protect yourself”.

8. myark

myark Senior Member

The Country's Top Scientists Have Some Questions for the Next Debate

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2016/02/presidential-debates-scientists-climate-change

Climate change is complicated! Asking good questions about it can be hard. So to help out the moderators, we asked a bunch of the biggest names in climate science and environmental activism (including Mark Ruffalo and Neil deGrasse Tyson!) to share their ideas for the questions candidates should face. You can read them below. (We've lightly edited some of the questions for length and clarity. We've also added a few links to them, so you can learn more about what they are referring to.)

9. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

'Super coral' could ward off devastating effects of warming oceans | Accuweather.com

10. Yobarnacle

Sounds good on paper, but introducing Kudzu to the Carolinas looked like a good idea, until it took over.
    Introducing the Mongoose to St Croix, USVI looked like a good idea. It DID rid the island of snakes, and afterward began eliminating the tropical bird population. Now there is a bounty on mongoose!
    Environmentalists should be required to take the Hippocratic oath.
    "First, do no harm"!

Besides the dishonest assertions of AGWers, I'm also against their social engineering schemes, because ONE, I don't like manipulative people, and TWO, they want to do HARM today, to forestall a MIGHT BE problem a couple hundred years in the future.
    A problem potential ONLY they interpret from GIGO computer models.
    NOPE!
    I don't appreciate their scare tactics either! If they're scared, let them hide under their beds. To deliberately incite panic is criminal. It's illegal to shout "FIRE" in a crowed theater, or "BOMB". in an airport. It SHOULD be illegal to shout "AGW"!
    Don't trust these folks!

11. myark

myark Senior Member

Bun Saluth, Guardian of the Cambodian Forest

http://climateheroes.org/portfolio-item/bun-saluth-guardian-cambodian-forest/

“I first heard about climate change when I was studying the teachings of Buddha. He teaches us that nothing is permanent,” says Bun Saluth a Cambodian monk who has devoted himself the past twelve years to preserving the 18,261 hectares of forest land in the Oddar Meanchey province of Cambodia. Under Saluth’s leadership and after twelve years of dedication, he has succeeded in creating the Monk’s Community Forest (MCF), the largest community managed forest conservation site in Cambodia.

He grew up as the son of a Cambodian farmer, but eventually left his home to become a Buddhist monk. His journey led him to Thailand where he got in contact with the “ecology monks,” a subset of Engaged Buddhism.

“Buddhism plays a very important role in conserving nature,” Saluth says and goes on to explain: “When Lord Buddha was still alive he used trees and caves as his lodging to obtain enlightenment. In this way he taught us to love nature and animals.” He remained for five years in Thailand; primarily for his studies, but also to develop the vision of the Monk’s Community Forest based on the conservation tactics of the ecology monks.

On February 7, 2002, Bun Saluth returned to his native Cambodia with a clear vision and the conviction that his country’s forests must be protected, setting up the Rukhavon Monk Forest Community. “When I returned home to Oddar Meanchey I realized the importance of these forests… In Thailand they have largely lost their forests and the government must replant huge areas. In Cambodia we should treasure the forests that we already have and preserve them for the next generation.”

Initially, the locals disapproved of his effort. His province, once a major battle zone during the 30-year Cambodian war, was being sought out by migrants and people with business interests who wanted to convert the forestland into farmland.

Mahatma Ghandi once famously said: “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”

“At the beginning I was scared,” he says. “Until 2004 there were no other people living in the forest. Then between 2004 and 2008 more people started living here. A total of eight villages formed within the forest. I grew worried because the villagers did not know the boundaries and started cutting down trees. Even after putting up signs, some would refuse my request.

“We lost the forest and this made the temperature increase and our rain unpredictable, which lead to increased diseases and an increased release of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. I had to think about ways to protect this land. So we [monks] created a boundary by digging a ditch around the entire forest.”

By 2008 the villagers finally began to understand the value of protecting the forest. Following Bun Saluth’s advice, they began to manage it in a more sustainable way, using it as a regular source of additional income with the mushrooms, bamboo, tree resin, and wild potato found in forest. Consequently, there is very little land encroachment since. “Even though there are more people living in the area, no one breaks the rules anymore”, Bun Saluth explains proudly.

For his work with the MCF, Bun Saluth was awarded the Equator Prize by the United Nations Development Programme in 2010.

“I got involved with climate change because if I didn’t do it, who else would?” Bun Saluth says.

Attached Files:

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

As long as one wants to speak of Buddhist values, perhaps one should try to abide by this one. If one wants not to be controlled and manipulated by others, perhaps one should not try to control and manipulate others.: http://buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=154

13. myark

myark Senior Member

Mother, teacher, and climate activist. Through her various roles, Caroline Dama strives to inspire the children of her home country Kenya to take climate mitigation into their own hands by planting trees – hundreds of thousands of trees.

http://climateheroes.org/portfolio-item/caroline-dama-regreening-kenya/

We are responsible for the climate,” Dama explains, “because at the end of the day, it affects every aspect of our life. It affects the way we dress. It affects how we go to work. It affects the type of food we eat. It affects everything.”

As the program coordinator for the Green World Campaign, a school-based environmental education program that fosters positive and proactive attitudes towards environmental conservation, Dama works with Kenyan children and adolescents to plant over trees to date. In 2013 alone, she supervised the planting of more than 100,000 trees at ninety locations around Kenya, including schools, faith-based organizations and farmers groups.

“My job is to encourage children to green their world”, she says. “When we teach the children to use the environment sustainably, we create truly sustainable programs. Children won’t make the mistakes their parents have made.”

When asked about the key lesson for her students, she replies: “It is not about what you will do then, once the effects of climate change have unfolded. It is not about what you will do tomorrow. It is about what you will do now. What you do now, bit by bit, becomes normal. I am good at watering crops, planting trees, and teaching children. So I can teach children to plant more trees. Once you decide: this is what I can do, just do it and do it to the best of your abilities.”

In part, her effectiveness can be attributed to her close collaboration with environmental clubs, which she uses as a springboard to promote agro-forestry in their community. Through this approach she has coordinated the planting of thousands of trees and local vegetables on land areas surrounding the schools. Each student is assigned to take care of one tree and the vegetables he or she has planted next to it. With over 15,000 schools in Kenya alone, this program has huge potential of reforesting much of the country and educating its next generation.

Attached Files:

14. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

If you really supported the idea of "First, do no harm" you would be more amenable to the concerns of AGW. If you aren't sure exactly what will result from artificially injecting huge amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere, the prudent choice would be to not do it.

15. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

AGW is fake!