Ocean News

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by ImaginaryNumber, Oct 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Here's a site called Desdemona Despair - Blogging the End of the World™ with the 50 doomiest graphs of 2013...

http://www.desdemonadespair.net/2013/12/50-doomiest-graphs-of-2013.html

Not to worry though for all Amurkins, as most of the charts are about other places in the world, so we won't be affected. As far as the charts about the US, our very own Il Douche has recently declared all that sort of stuff to be a Chinese hoax, just a bigly time bull **** smoke screen meant to cover up their dumping of the Yuan, US Treasuries and toxic sheet rock. We fixed them though by welshing on the TPP, so now they will have to lead the rest of the world in trade, not us, and they will have to wear out their own presses printing Yuans, not us, when the Yuan becomes the world's currency. HA! SUCKERS! Buncha f***ing c***s anyhow.

I guess the forum censorship dial needs to be adjusted in light of the new leaders vocabulary. Saying bull **** in casual conversation is apparently OK now along with p****, c*** and f*** you.

Anyway, I like the second comment, exposing more of that fake news that seems to be the new basis for bigly decisions by some folks.

That's the first part.

2. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Hi myark, Russia`s thermonuclear submarine will be their own down fall because I have devised a counter measure that will make their weapons explode as soon as they or anyone else arms a nuclear device.
    There are lot`s of good ideas but how many are real and do exist, or work.
    http://www.flixxy.com/the-incredible-flyboard-air.htm

3. myark

myark Senior Member

Hi Tom

The people in NZ also devised a way to Keep New Zealand Nuke Free.

Attached Files:

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

-
    If want to keep it that way, also for nuclear power plants, better stand guard then . . :idea:

The World Nuclear Association wants to move in . . :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  5. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

We will have to go Nuclear some time as every country will have to so sooner rather than later. Let` start learning to how handle it now. yes small more manageable units would be great, perhaps about the size of a washing machine or frig in the laundry.

I have witnessed the sky glow from my lounge of an atmospheric test 1960`as did a few others some were American tourists, I would not like to see that seriously close up.
    I was not happy with the New Zealand government dictating Nuclear Free Policy which was really a hypocritical stand to take all things considered at that time.

Unfortunately the general public only know what they want to believe and never research very important facts about Science and Physics so Public opinion is as bad as ordinary people acting as Jury in a criminal case..the blind leading the blind. Scientists now seem to be in the league of Art critics with their twisted view on what is clever art..many great artists are what is generally accepted as being around- the- bend.

Here in New Zealand it is not worth having a boat because unsettled,windy extreme hot and cold are the order,I pity those who are ardent fishers and sailors having to go to sea.
    Our Prime Minister has resigned admitting failure to address the main issues so now I have to try and educate the new Prime Minister, his deputy and new line up of hopeful youths. That is a tough job.

We also have to try and educate new American arrivals and try and prevent them introducing their acceptance of having to be told by Regulatory Authorities and governments how they should do everything instead of making choices for themselves, some chance there.

6. Angélique

-
    Hi Tom,

I've added to the quote in my previous post the footnotes of the quoted sections, for info how they polled the public opinion, and also added the given references as per original article.

Around 2008 there was a buzz in the mainstream media about small modular reactors (SMRs), but the given timetables turned out to be not realistic.

Nowadays there's less buzz about it in the mainstream media, but nevertheless the developments seems to be slowly progressing.

- September 25, 2008: Portable Backyard Nuclear Reactors Ready to be Installed by 2013 - Treehugger

- November 9, 2008: Mini nuclear plants to power 20,000 homes - The Guardian

- November 12, 2008: Mini Nuclear Power Plants Could Power 20,000 Homes (Update) - Phys.Org

- December 15, 2008: Nuclear Power in a Small Package - Albuquerque Journal

- May 01, 2014: Mini-nuclear reactors - Alberta Oil Magazine

- December 2016: Small Nuclear Power Reactors - - regularly updated - - World Nuclear Association

- August 25, 2016: Small modular reactor - - regularly updated - - Wikipedia

- May 17, 2016: Toshiba 4S - - regularly updated - - Wikipedia

7. myark

myark Senior Member

Hi Angelique

Tom and I have always supported small nuke generators are the way to go especially when the nuclear strike inevitably happens and have shelters near by underground that can grow hydroponic food under lights and keep air and water filters running around the clock.

The same as shipping freighting containers should have nuclear power, imagine the saving in fossil fuels "air pollution and oil slicks " and reduced maintenance.

I was reading similar articles 30 years ago and actually saw on TV proto type used in a small town that was safe.

As quoted from one of the many articles you posted on miniature Nukes says

"The miniature reactors will be factory-sealed, contain no weapons-grade material, have no moving parts and will be nearly impossible to steal because they will be encased in concrete and buried underground. "

8. Angélique

Yes, that's from the second link, it would be great to have them in a boat though . . :)

9. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Thank`s for previous posts.
    It is a big wide World full of exciting innovation and many people doing wonderful things but being hampered by the" Establishment " on all fronts.

It is difficult finding out the true facts from all the "Fake" news and scientific "Break Through" and ordinary Citizen have little hope of keeping well factually informed.

Most of us are expected to soak up all the Manufacturers and political sales pitch and blindly go where no sensible person should venture. Is "competition" really a good driver?.

I am always thankful of living in "the best of times".

When the World is covered in wind turbines and all the rivers and lakes dammed for intensive farming (UN-sustainable) and sea shores covered with Marine farms.......

10. Angélique

-
    Going back to post #1959, the bottom link there, the Toshiba 4S 4S stands for: Ultra Super Safe, Small and Simple is a is a Micro Sodium-cooled Fast Reactor SFR, her bigger sister is PRISM Power Reactor Innovative Small Module, that is if I understood it correctly.

Is there anyone who wants to examine what Dr. Eric Loewen (of GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy) says about PRISM . . :?:

November 17, 2009: Meet the Man Who Could End Global Warming - Esquire

Dr. Eric Loewen - = Chief Consulting Engineer at the GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy facility in Wilmington, North Carolina, USA.

Evolution of PRISM - - How PRISM Works below quote = from page bottom - - Benefits of PRISM - - Public Comments on PRISM - = GE Hitachi links
    At the right of the quoted illustration....

Is there anyone who knows what the constitution is of these one way ‘‘Fussion Products’’ which as shown are stored in a ‘‘Geologic Repository’’ . . :confused:

And if these ‘‘Fussion Products’’ are going to a ‘‘Geologic Repository’’ and nothing is coming back from there as the illustration shows, does that mean there's Nuclear Waste stored in there for almost ever just like it is with the old Nuclear Reactor types . . :?:

11. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Take a look at the waste storage in the UK.

12. Angélique

That's not comming from Sodium-cooled Fast Reactors or PRISMs I think . . :confused:

13. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

This is the most dangerous time for our planet | Stephen Hawking | The Guardian

Stephen Hawking argues that the recent elections, on both sides of the Atlantic, are a rejection of society "elites", including himself as a scientist. However, whether we like it or not, technological advancement will increasingly put more and more wealth and control into the hands of fewer and fewer, dangerously increasing economic inequality. He argues that we need to do what is unnatural, to learn to share, and cooperate, even paying people to be able to live while they are retrained in the skills needed for a much more technological world.

[​IMG]

14. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Methane surge needs 'urgent attention'
    By Jonathan Amos BBC Science Correspondent, San Francisco

12 December 2016

"After a period of relative stagnation in the 2000s, the concentration of the gas has surged.

Methane (CH4) is a smaller component than carbon dioxide (CO2) but drives a more potent greenhouse effect.

Researchers warn that efforts to tackle climate change will be undermined unless CH4 is also brought under tighter control. "

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38285300

I sure am glad we have elected the solution for AGW and climate change here in the US of A. We have solved the problem much like the South Park Underwear Gnomes economic plan for their used underwear business,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

We have adopted and adapted that plan to wit,

Phase 1 - Denial
    Phase 2 - ?
    Phase 3 - Grab some p****

It's a youuuge plan, it's a brilliant plan, everybody likes it and talks about how it's a youuuge and brilliant plan.

15. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

I'm going to have to read thru some of your links. You very often provide some good info.

The problem I see with any of these even small scale 'plants/units' is not the fissionable materials, but simply the radioactive materials that might be extracted and utilized for a dirty device.

And you can probably forget the idea of nuclear powered container ships. Each country will have its own fears as to vessel entering its ports with a potential nuclear accident possiblity onboard. That's what happen to the original nuclear cargo ship, the Savannah

http://atomicinsights.com/cover-story-why-did-savannah-fail/

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28439159