ocean conditions are changing due to Rapid Global Climate Shift

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Boston, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Mother Jones | Could Nemo Inspire More Dubious Climate Change Coverage?

[​IMG]

2. Petros

Petros Senior Member

this is untrue, we have a nationwide road network, fueling stations a plenty, with a dedicated supply network, and a massive industry both domestic and from abroad that makes reliable and safe transportation units know as private automobiles. this is the product of private enterprise meeting the demands and desires of their customers. It gives us independence and freedom from an indifferent and inefficient government run social engineering and make-work mass transit system. The cost per seat-mile of operating my car is about one tenth the cost any public transportation system, and it gives me the option of going anywhere I choose at any time, with very little government control (only safety related traffic rules, and none when I am not on pubic roads).

Plus we do have the wasteful and inefficient public transportation systems, my own state runs trains and buses and ferries, it spends 68 percent of all transportation revenues on operating these wasteful systems to only move about 8 percent of total transportation (so the we all pay transportation taxes to move only 8 percent of the travelers). But since we have a choice most of use would rather drive out own cars, it saves time and money, and most of those 8 percent would rather also drive their own cars if they could afford it. Of course if they were actually paying the full cost of riding our state run trains and buses, it would be cheaper to own a car. So it is mostly seen an act of charity to have public transpiration (which it clearly is since we pay 68% of our costs to move only 8% of travelers).

We also have one of the best privately air transportation system in the world, lots of airlines competing for my money for longer distance travel. this kind of travel is actually less costly than driving over long distances, and much faster of course. the worst part about this system is the inept and inefficient security and passenger terminal system run by the federal government, but we tolerate it because of the benefit of being able to travel anywhere within the country in hours for less than the cost of driving or even riding a bicycle.

You can be proud that your government rips you off to have such a costly transportation system, we marginally tolerate ours.

And if a real emergency occurs, I would much rather depend on my own resources to get around. You will be stuck. We are much more self sufficient than you.

3. Petros

Petros Senior Member

This is a bogus chart used to make a false point. you have to look at total industrial output of the country, measured in gross economic activity, and measure that against total energy consumption. If you live in poverty and sit in the mud waiting for a Unesco care package, of course you will consume little energy, you produce nothing.

The United states is the MOST EFFICIENT producer in the world. divide energy consumption by total gross national produce, we consume less energy than any other country. As least we did a number of years ago when I check it last. the next most efficient producer after the USA was Germany.

It is really stupid to think you are Superior by NOT producing anything and claim you are better than the USA because you use less energy.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Bravo, Troy!

5. ImaginaryNumber

National Fuel Cell Research Center | NFCRC Tutorial: Energy

Per Capita Energy Consumption and GNP
    [​IMG]
    GNP/Energy...228........70.........149........158........66........69........18

(the higher the number, the more efficient the economy)

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Where the Hell is Gremany?

Your chart might as well be

Attached Files:

7. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

What resources are going to power your car when the fuel supply is restricted and oil cost 500 dollars a barrel

8. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Maybe by then we'll have learned to harness the hot air blowing our way from certain quarters of Europe. :D

9. Petros

Petros Senior Member

I do not know where those numbers come from, from the US census per captia GDP is $49,800

per US Dept of energy, per capata BTUx10**6= 308

GDP/milliion BTU for US= 162

So we are now second best when our economy is down.

10. bntii

bntii Senior Member

You beat me to it- Energy use is closely tied to production.

11. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Michael,

there is more fossil fuel resources in North America than in all the middle east and Europe combined. Estimates vary but guesstimates from 200 years to 700 years worth of known reserves. We will not run out any time soon.

12. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Actually I have a half hour drive to work.
    Thanks for letting me know though.

13. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

The bogus chart comes from your government...http://www.eia.gov/

" Japan, France, and Germany are highly industrialized nations, and Denmark, France, and Germany have income levels comparable to ours. To be sure, this sort of aggregate comparison does not account for the GDP mix, climate, size, or passenger and freight transport for each nation. Nevertheless, the comparisons suggest that Americans might be able to cut energy use per capita by almost half if we were to adopt a European life style and European levels of energy efficiency. "

http://[​IMG]

This BOGUS chart comes from the http://aceee.org/

14. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

The chart isn't bogus -- until you try to use it for bogus purposes.

And let me go back to an earlier point I made: are you working to eliminate recreational boating? After all, no one 'needs' to own fuel-hungry yachts. Or is it just the hoi polloi that need to clean up their energy act?

15. ImaginaryNumber

Country . . . . . . Japan . . . US . . Grmy . . Italy . . S Korea . Mexico .China . . Spain
    PerCap GNP CIA 34700 . .48300 . 38100 . 30500 . .31200 . . 14700 . 8400 . 30500
    PerCap Gjoule . . 164 . . . 301 . . . 168 . . . 118 . . . 213 . . . . 66 . . . . 76 . . . 116
    GNP/GJoule . . . 212 . . . 160 . . . 227 . . . 258 . . . 146 . . . . 222 . . . 110 . . .263

(again, the higher the number the better)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(PPP)_per_capita
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_energy_consumption_per_capita

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013