Noob questions

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by OMA-T5, Feb 9, 2006.

1. OMA-T5

OMA-T5 New Member

Hi to all. I'm new to this forum, a noob on boat and I'm from NYC. I have an interest in boat for years but never have the time for it. It's about time that I get serious but don't know what I might get myself into. I'm thinking of investing on a boat, as a home and as a traveling vehicle. The size I have in mind is roughly 2/3 or a full length city bus, has engine and sail. What I haven't been able to find are answers to these questions:
    1) what is the annual cost for docking at a harbor or are there free docking?
    2) what is the standard cost of living on a boat? (things like water, electricity, waste disposal, ect.)
    3) This question might be a bit outrageous, I don't care for flashy new boat just a sturdy one, preferable if the structural frame and surrounding skin are made from metal (sorry about the lingo). Does anyone know any type of boats that have these features?
    I know different cost will range differently for city to city, as well as the size of your boat, I just want to have an idea how much it'll cost. Sorry if this is too noob of a question, I hope someone can help me with this. Thank you in advance.

Happy sailing

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Hi and welcome to the forums a short answer is about the same as living ashore, you eat the same don't you?

Having said that of course in some ways a lot cheaper cos the 'house' ain't so big but there are also certain disadvantages, the bed rocks violently! The authorities don't like livaboards (no control over you and of course you've got the guts to be an individual - authorities don't like that, as I said no control and a bit of jealousy) but generally, once you have the boat it's cheaper (OK there's maintainence but aint that so with houses?)

Parking varies of course, depends what you want but as I said generally much the same as ashore - the company is of course better and if you don't like the neighbourhood moving is easy!

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Try going to some marinas in your area. Sailors are notoriously friendly and will talk your ears off with advice and opinions. That will also give you and opportunity to look at boats and maybe check out the interiors too.

4. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

I echo Gonzo's sentiments, and I'll add that in South Texas, docking a decent sized livaboard (around 40') costs around $225 a month plus $25 extra for water/ garbage, and electricity is billed separately, and for one fella I knew with a 38' Bayliner he lived on ran about $50 a month with the A/C running full blast in the heat of August. Not too shabby, but you also need to factor in a $200 annual haul out, plus about 400 bucks for bottom paint and zincs (if you do the work yourself) and more if you need any bottom work, prop work, etc... But over all the maintenance is probably cheaper than what you spend on the house in the course of a year, and you don't buy as much "stuff" 'cause ya ain't got the room for it! Probably the prices are a wee bit higher in NYC:eek:

5. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

Well I can tell you that in NYC or vicinity you are not going to get it that cheap.
    If you can get a spot in the city (unlikely) it will be 3 or 4 times that. You could go over to Jersey City at Liberty Landing and probably do better than in the city. Or maybe Chelsea Piers or the 79th street boat basin.. There are possibilities up at City Island as well.Some in Brooklyn. To hang Down or Mid town your going to have to be connected or have the dough. As far as getting to know the boats...what those guys said.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.