Noah's Ark

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Bergalia, Apr 29, 2007.

1. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

when ever I see a wing of f16s fly over ,,sometimes I get mad at the money they cost ,,but then I stop and think about them and the great army we have ,and I say to myself ,Im glad their on our side,and I bellive it is good that if we need 80.000 VOLUNTEERS extra we got em.longliner

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Longliner,

Don't get me wrong, I'm for a strong military. I'm a former infantryman (11 Bravo) myself. I just think some of the things we get involved with are not right. Would rather see our boys (& women, gotta be pc) put on our borders. A weak military invites others into hostile actions against us & our interests. Unfortunatly so does using the military in an improperly directed manner.

Just one man's opinion.

Take care.

TGoz

P.S. I'm originally a Buckeye myself. Spent my first 9 years in Euclid. Lake Eire sure has come a long way since I was a kid. We used to call it the Dead Sea.

3. longliner45

your right ,,,I just wanted to give the boys a little credit ,

4. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

100% Agree.

5. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Itake it that by posting in a public forum, you invite comment
    So you don't see (your) boys as cannon fodder?
    well most do.
    if you stayed home then you would need a fraction of the number to watch your borders, Dont worry abt the rest of the world None of your business really is it?
    the war is illegal , and we all know it
    How would you feel if a foreign army marched into your place and started murdering innocent people?

6. longliner45

they did ,,they came in 2 707s on sept 11, they had training camps in afganistan and irac,,,,

7. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

they did not, they were not iraqis nor were they sponsered by Iraq, they were terrorists, a group, not a sovereign state, cant you see that

8. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

5h1t 'lase' and I thought they were 'tourists'

does it matter if the war is legal or not? legallity of war is bollocks and you know it! If you win it legal if you loose it's illegal, pretty obvious really! the thing with this one is its a bit pointless and it looks like we're (everybody there not just the ******* - tho' they help the opposition at times cos they is crap at recognition - too bloody gungho) going to loose! So get our boys and girls out of there and let the rags kill each other or whatever they wish to do! Just don't put anymore of our people at needless risk!

9. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Oh yes and they is no such thing as an innocent person - ever seen a ten year old throw a grenade? or fire a gun? they do you know then play with their toys afterwards like nothing has happened and your mate (or you) is lying there with his lifeblood running out onto the ground or in bits! Innocent my backside!

10. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Hey, Bagger,

Go easy on longliner. Your calculation is based on current world population. He said this was 9th grade science class info..... that was a loooooong time ago, world population was much smaller then! :p :p :D :D :D

11. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

LOL, Charm, I didn't think of that! Of course, you're right.

Did you know, that scientists talk of a "bottleneck", which, because of diseases and whatnot, we all decent from the same 7-8 women?

Come to think of it, there's another bottle neck a few thousand years later, where, again because of diseases etc. the human species were struck hard, resulting in a human population of around 10.000. That means we were pretty close to distinction.

12. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

From my spelling (and punctuation) I can tell I have had one too many of the small green ones (beer, that is - most are in green bottles or cans here).

13. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Your right on that one LazyJack. We were lied to at the inception of this "conflict", plain and simple. Like I said above, a strong military is good if used properly. I feel this war is wrong, but still hope for the best for the average young person flung into it.

I've also heard similar to Walrus, in that " the only defense against war crimes is to win the war". How the Hell would we ever "know" if we won in this situation is beyond my mental ability to comprehend.

I feel as much or more a patriotic man in wishing we would get out of there, as one who thinks more troops are the answer.

Loaded subject. I think I'll try to concentrate on boat related ideas, at least while on this forum.

Take care.

TGoz

PS. I vaguely recall something about Noah's Ark :)

14. charmc

charmc Senior Member

OK, so we've taken a nice bit of fun and turned it into a war debate.

Full disclosure: I was in the Army during the Cold War. Started as a grunt, eventually became a leader of grunts. Waded in my share of swamps, found out I was an expert with every weapon they put in my hands. Spent more than 3 years in Eastern Europe when there still was a Berlin Wall. Shared a few pints with some blokes from the Queen's Own, I think they were called. Just one rule for drinking: they didn't talk about Vietnam, and we didn't talk bout Northern Ireland. I came close to the cutting edge a few times, and saw more than my share of dead. Over there, all of it was "friendly" fire. Anyone who tried to leave was shot. All under the direction of lazeyjack's friends. They were called Soviets then, everyone was equal. Just that some were more equal than others, and the Russians were most equal of all. That's not an anti-Russian jab, but it is reality. The Soviet Union was run by the Russians, and the same folks are running the show there today, under different names. Jack, I understand your anger against our current president, but if you think Mr Putin, whose government job training was as a KGB agent, is just a nice guy lookin' out for good things for all the Russian people .... well I'd say that's a nice hope, but a bit naive. Not just my opinion, either. A gentleman by the name of Vitaly Ginzburg, a reasonably bright man (Nobel Prize in Physics 2003) who, at the age of 90, has seen more than a few Russian leaders, says Putin is worse than Stalin in some ways. I've shared time with Russians, Germans from what was then East Germany, Czechs, Slavs, and others. Guess what? Most of them were wonderful people. Some of them were a___holes. And a few of them were downright evil. Kind of like Americans, Australians, Malaysians, New Zealanders, Norwegians, even Brits and Scots.

For the record, the invasion of Iraq was, in my view, a colossal error. Not the blatantly evil conspiracy imagined by some, (journalist Tom Friedman said that if he could have interviewed Saddam he would have asked, "Why, right up until the end, did you work so hard to tell the world you had hidden bio and chem weapons and were working to get uranium?"). Unfortunately, when politicians make colossal errors, young men and women pay with their lives.

But there are reasons to go abroad to fight. As longliner said, when the terrorists invaded in highjacked planes in 2001, it was an act of war. They aren't wearing the uniform of a nation state. So what? They are trans-national, with the covert backing of several governments. That means that striking against those governments is defensive fighting in a war.

Jack and others are right in saying American governments have managed to piss off many people in the world by blundering into conflicts we perhaps should have stayed out of. But to say that American policy is what caused terrorist attacks is ludicrous. The terrorists and the cowardly, ignorant, and evil mullahs who egg them on with out of context quotes from the Qu'arn (which, before anyone starts in, I have read more than a few times) are fighting against Western culture, including Christianity and Judaism. Jack, you talk about peace and letting people alone, and I agree with that as a goal. But history teaches us that mankind has never done much to advance that goal. The terrorists we fight now need to be fought, or someday Australia, along with many other countries, will be a religious dictatorship under their perverted view of Islam.

15. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Charlie,

Well said. Thanks for your past service. Mine was of a much more limited nature, Army National Guard, trained at Benning.

I'll say this and then hold to my above posts' statement. I find it highly contradictory that we spend billions in $$$, thousands in lifes, ect... in the name of security, but yet have basically open borders. Our poor border guards gotta walk on egg shells when they do decide to enforce our laws.
    We still are a soveriegn nation?

I'm happy I'm not in a position of high authority.

Take care Charlie.

TGoz