new member in the uk

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by mut, Oct 11, 2007.

1. mut

mut Junior Member

hello,

Im Tom, from Stoke in the UK.
    I have no experiance in boat building, but I want to build some small boats, I think im going to start with a small rowing boat.

Eventually I want to build a kayak.

Im a joiner, so have access to tools etc, and I also program a large (6.1mx1.2m) CNC machine, so im interested in seeing what else i can use it for!

mostly just poking around at the moment!

are there many uk members on here?

Tom.

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

New member iun UK

Welcome Tom. Safewalrus springs to mind - more of a 'Yuk' member than UK member...Cornish of course. Odd people, but I gather he now walks on his hind legs...

Scroll around the design threads - and I'm sure you find a few 'starter' boats - and of course you'll get heaps of excellent advice from other forum geeks.:)

3. mut

mut Junior Member

ok, thanks bergalia :)

4. kach22i

kach22i Architect

And the strangeness begins.:D

Welcome to the forum mut yuk.;)

5. charmc

charmc Senior Member

Hi, Tom, (or is it mut from uk?)

Welcome to the forum. Don't mind that Bergalia fellow. he's afflicted with a mild case of wandering identity; can't make up his mind if he's a Scot living in Australia or an Australian raised as a Scot. Also has a serious case of envy of the Irish, for which he attempts to compensate by verbally bullying anyone from the southern half of the UK, as you saw. :D

Ahem ... to get back to your question ... as Bergalia said, there are several good threads with excellent information and links to other sites under the heading "Boat Design". One that comes to mind is a current discussion of boats for fixed seat rowing on open waters. There are some good references to various rowing boat designs, including a few from the UK. The thread starts here:

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14250

Again, welcome aboard!

6. mut

mut Junior Member

thanks for the welcome guys :)

tom.

7. westlawn5554X

westlawn5554X STUDENT

welcom :D:D:D

8. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Tom Mut (what a funny name) welcome to the forum, there are a few UK people around but most of them now reside abroad (they say they've voluntarily emigrated, but as several are in Aus and we know how most of 'em got out there! some are actually proud that their forefathers went out there on the so called "First Fleet", mine were better, they avoided getting caught! Probably working for the government (we're sneaky like that!!)

Don't worry about the Bergalia character bit strange in the head (well he IS Sots Australian or should that read Scots Australian?)! As for the Frosty character well.................

Basically theres a fine bunch of guys down here who generally get on and abuse each other at every term for the 'craic'.

Looking up on the highbrow stuff in th eforums above will eventually find most things you want and if it ain't just ASK! Somebody will know and be more than willing to help!

Just one word of warning, as Bergalia said watch that Walrus character - he's wierd.............

as I said wierd!!

9. mut

mut Junior Member

haha ok. so ill keep my eye open for a walrus that walks on its hind legs?

sounds like good advice:rolleyes: :D

10. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

11. safewalrus

Hey Trev didn't realise there was a Romford in South Africa (get some strange places up in the Orange Free State though don't you?

12. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

New Member in UK

Scary isn't it Rus. All part of this thing called 'Global Warming' invented by that American guy, Al Gore-Blimey.

Big chunks of various continents are breaking off and floating to new locations. A recent report by anthropologists studying native behaviour, reckon that Cornwall was only recently part of the Neanderthal Valley.
    It also eplains why Guillermo has so many houses. Every time he buys one, then turns his back for five minutes, it drifts away - and he has to buy another...:(

13. Trevlyns

Gee but you Brits are such sore loosers... C'mon man, it was only a game :D :D :D

14. safewalrus

Trev ain't lost yet! probably won't either now you've put the mark of cain on it!

(come to think of it your retread English now too - like a hellova lot of your ex countrymen!!)

15. Trevlyns

Yep! You'd be right there, Walrus – just witnessed the end of the game with France. [Note to non Uk’ans – notice it was a South African ref? We’d prefer to play UK rather than France in the final] ;)

Hey Mike - loved your comment about “retread English”. The Afrikaans speaking South Africans have a better, harsher version (ask Wynand) which probably better describes me. A ‘soutie’ is described as a person having one foot in South Africa, the other in Britain, and his balls dangling in the Atlantic Ocean. :D

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.