Need help!!!

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Tgreen843, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Tgreen843

Tgreen843 New Member

Okay so I just bought this 1992 maximum 18ft boat with a 4.3 mercruiser in it. The boat has only been ran in the guys drive way this past summer and only taken out once last summer. So it has been sitting. The guy had to replace the starter and the serpentine belt before the boat would even start. The boat ran fine in the guy's driveway. I took it out on the river. The boat was back firing a lil probably due to old gas in it. I literally ran the boat half throttle for about 10 mins or so down the river. A boat pasted me on my left side. When I hit the wakes of the passing boat the boat stopped and engine revved up but the prop would not turn over. Forward or reverse. I had to get a tow back to the landing.

If the boat is in gear on the trailer and you turn the prop the correct way it spins when it shouldn't and makes a clicking noise. I was told it could be the rubber part of the hub broke or that the shift cable has broken. I need to know what anyone on here knows about it??? Please and thank you

2. Tgreen843

Tgreen843 New Member

Also when I grabbed the hoses it felt like a crunching sound like there was rust build up in the hose. Also the power steering is leaking out red fluid

3. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Visually check the cable is moving the linkage at the leg . Then if the prop can be turned and it is definitely in gear the rubber hub has let go . You should see the prop turn on the rubber or evidence of it. Going by your questions you might be better to take it to a professional. Even a manual is not much good if you can't diagnose a broken cable. No offence?

4. Tgreen843

Tgreen843 New Member

The cable is moving the linkage. The more and more I think about it all I am almost positive it's the rubber hub. Going to take the prop off tomorrow and check it out.

5. Tgreen843

Tgreen843 New Member

My buddy has a 20ft sea ray with a mercruiser 350 motor in it and I was with him once when he spun his hub and it felt the same way as what mine did. So when I take it off tomorrow I should be able to see if the rubber is broke?

6. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Usually you can see it fairly easy but the best way is to turn with the engine in gear. Sometimes they only spin under heavy load.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.