Navigating the Pearl River Delta??

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by TerryKing, Mar 21, 2007.

1. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

There are hundreds of miles of some-what navigable waterways in the Pearl River, The Pearl River Delta and connected rivers in China. I will be moving to this part of China, on the South China Sea, in August.

Can anyone point to information about cruising this area, sources of charts, river navigation etc?? Looking on Google Earth, there are thousands of boats all over this area, from 20 to 100 feet in length..

Take a look at 22.6N 113.7E from about 50 miles up. I'll be at Shenzhen/Shekou downstream on the East side, closer to Hong Kong.

Thanks!

2. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

I think your main problem may be the local constabluary Terry, the Chinese ain't quite ready for yotties yet! Could end up in deep doodoo if your not careful - check that out first! Hell you choose some interesting places to live!

3. charmc

charmc Senior Member

4. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Interesting places..

Thanks, guys.. I have been following some of the local news and info about the Shenzghen/Guangdong area for a few weeks, since Mary Alice took the job in Shekou, starting in August. (Actually she's designing the new High School Library remotely, and ordering books based on digging thru the present library databases). Having a highly employed Smart Spouse is my biggest asset! This is a good era to travel! We all get to communicate so well. I'll go back to the old Ham Radio SSB stuff if I ever get to real cruising, but for now the Internet is SO good!

Walrus, I'm thinking I need to make a Chinese friend who knows the local waters and customs (and Cops?) so I can learn how to stay under the radar as a yotsman. Running a local-looking boat may help!

One of my 1000 Things I Don't Know: Where do I buy charts (electronic preferred) of areas way outside the USA?? I've only used the US Coastal charts, which are easy... Obviously I'm looking for China / South China Sea, hopefully Pacific.

Thanks for the help

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.