Nautical Terminology

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Landlubber, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Making Instant Coffee (or Tea)

Now seeing as this is a drivel thread, I have just discovered that, if you put about 10mm of water into the mug before adding the powder, it slowly sinks to the bottom, rather nice to watch, but does not actually stick to the bottom of the mug as it would if the powder was just randomly thrown into the mug before adding water.

I am elated by this discovery as I no longer have to swirl the coffee mug around, and usually over the girl walking down the stairway, and felt the urge to tell the world.

2. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Junior member Landlubber (suitably dressed in his Scout uniform) prepares a new 'Frosty' for his boat.....:)

Attached Files:

3. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Attached Files:

4. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Only in Spain

Hey you guys are something special. That is terrific. I suppose it is done with a sprinkler over a stencil.
    Certainly clever.

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Gives a whole new meaning to: 'Waiter - there's a fly in my soup...'

6. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

.....an Frosty reckons the Scotts have no sence of humour....

I actually found that humourous Berg, but you could hardly say "Fly, there's a waiter in my soup".....I'll think about it after my mediciene and a little sleep...

7. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

8. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Nup, sorry Pericles, the Harley Davidson boys have claimed that one for themselves, we MAY have to stick with "The Frosty", I am starting to quiver at the thought!

With all the armchair admirals out there, I really would have thought someone would have been able to mane this hunk of wood, but it really does seem there is no "official" name for it. I was the Shippy once for the Australain Maritime Museum in Sydney, and gave the question to their "experts", it fell on deaf ears there too.

9. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Yes I fear we must go further afield for our information or be forever damn wiht the term "Frosty" to think he may have a use afterall! What a frightening thought!

10. eponodyne

eponodyne Senior Member

Big ol' bump. Bumpitty bump bump, bumpitty bump bump, look at this thread go...

I've actually heard it called the chain guard (which seemed nebulous and imprecise), and once heard it called an "anchor mask." Notwithstanding that's something Frosty probably wears so his wife will kiss him goodbye, that's what I've called it ever since.

11. safewalrus

It would appear that whatever it was is now past tense - the wooden thingy on the front wot the anchor chain runs over to protect the deck shall in future be called a "Frosty" - actually I prefered the older name of "scotchman" but frosty will do as it only insults one person (actually it's a bloody useful bit of kit as it protects the f'csle from getting bloody big holes in it - something I doubt Frosty would do but I digress);)

12. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Soooo, now we have Frosty dead and his boat for sale on the Joke thread, we already have a rememberance ceremony for him, with a particular plank named after him.

Hey mate, you have become a legend in your own time.

13. safewalrus

Now that's a frightening thought 'Frosty the plank' (when somebody told him he was as thick as two short planks, he was fair chuffed because they said two and not one!)

Or is it plankton - brain about the same size!

has become a legend in his own lunchtime!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.