The nanny state - Licences and registration

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by jamesgyore, Apr 21, 2012.

1. masalai

masalai masalai

Hi Teddy,
    most likely in Australia is "public"

2. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Oz is not alone in suffering from overzealous enforcers and fine issuers. We yanks have our own ******* law enforcement individuals.

My little sailing skiff was pulled up on the beach and I was approached by a Florida wildlife officer. He was determined to find some flaw in my outfit. He did not find any reason to issue a ticket because my boat, and its' gear, conformed to the rules in every way. He then accosted a power boat family who, ready to depart, had just loaded their boat on the trailer. The officer examined the boat with a fine toothed comb. It was compliant. Unfortunately the owner had recently and dutifully replaced his required fire extinguisher with a new one. His mistake was that he left the older, out of date, extinguisher in the boats locker nowhere near the bracket where the new one resided.. He was busted to the tune of $125. He was angry but helpless.

Law enforcement people have a certain amount of power. Some of them, but by no means all of them, get some sort of rush by flexing their official muscle.

Par knows full well that a ticket is waiting for him if he drives through a near by tiny town named Howey In The Hills. That is the worst speed trap in the whole creation. There is officer Love who is an egomaniac and he will find some reason, or invent a reason, to ticket any out of town traveler. I was busted there because my trailer license tag was mounted at a slight skew, about fifteen degrees from level. When I argued the point he threatened to arrest me. I believed him. Result; Ticket for improper license tag display. $65!

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

So - is this thread about bad law enforcement now ?

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I wish my boat was a space ship so I could leave all you tax and envy humans behind.

5. jamesgyore

jamesgyore Senior Member

Well, it seems my concerns about the nanny state are not just confined to Victoria.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/13923295/27m-in-council-rates-illegal/

AU$27 million, extorted from the citizens of your municipality. I'd like to think that convictions and prison terms for these council officials is the result, but I doubt it will ever happen.

I can visualise the cop-out even now:

It was all an administrative/clerical error... The computer system generated these levies... No they are not taxes. Yes, we have established a convoluted refund process that will take years to navigate and cost you a fortune in legal fees, please call our outsourced Indian help centre for a refund application form... Oh, the interest earned by the municipality on these illegal levies will be diluted into general revenue while this process takes place... Don't bother claiming for the interest, we'll have you stuck in court for years, just let sleeping dogs lie.

And the final insult:

Can we rely on your vote at the next election? Our outsourced Indian call centre will be taking a poll and campaign contributions would be most welcome. What? You claim we stole money from you and it has not been refunded? You're broke, and can't help finance the re-ellection of a greedy, corrupt and crooked municipal council? Thank you for your time sir and have pleasant day.

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I wish tax and envy humans had space ships and leave me behind.

Mars aint the kind of place to raise a kid ---infact its cold as hell

7. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

I can't see that this article has the slightest thing to do with your complaints about the nanny state, frankly. It's about council incompetence and illegal behaviour in setting rates.

Personally I regard the rates I pay as protection money anyway. The only thing I see for it at my place is the road graded once or twice a year. That said, without a rate base there'd be no libraries etc and IMO that would be tragic. I spent many hours reading & borrowing books from the local council library when I was a kid. Infrastructure has to be paid for.

PDW

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Internet has made the need for infrastructure to be less in its magnitude. For instance we don't need libraries any more or land telephone lines and solar panel existance is round the corner. If that can be achieved a bit of water will be eazy peazy.

I believe some people make there own fuel.

Infrastructure is too expensive and becoming unpopular.

9. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Things to do away with:
    . Manipulated fiat money-gold can suffice as it was proven for centuries.
    . Central government planning,sending money to DC and recieving a fraction back-
    government should be local. Hope one day Ohio becomes its own nation.
    . FDA-let the people decide whats healthy for themselves.
    . Tariffs-trade with anybody you want.
    . Drug laws-people can decide for themselves whats dangerous.

Just a few extra unnecessary organizations to add to your list.

10. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Gold stopped 'sufficing' during World War One. And despite determined tinkering with the system afterward, the Gold Standard never became practical again. That's why it was dropped, rather than because of some evil banking conspiracy.
    Many states, including the home states of people who like to thump their chests about how macho and self-sufficient they are (like Alaskans) receive more money from the central government than they send. It's states like California that get stuck with making up the difference, by sending more than they receive...
    Sure, that'll work. Let fifty states separate into a Balkanized hodgepodge of squabbling independent nations, making and breaking treaties with each other and arguing amongst themselves, while our common interests and ability to defend ourselves go down the toilet.
    On what basis would people 'decide for themselves'? By trying to sort through the misinformation, suppressed data and downright lies the drug companies would be pumping out, because no one was checking their claims?
    Fine with me -- as soon as you convince all the other nations in the world to drop their tariffs, so that it's an even playing field. Good luck doing that without a strong central government to do the negotiating...
    Actually, a lot of the time they can't; some people can be incredibly stupid. But it's pretty clear our current system of drug laws and policies isn't working, so I'll give you that one. :)
    Like it or not, most regulations originally came into being because there was a need for them. For example, the infant mortality rate in New York City dropped by almost two thirds when pasteurization of milk sold to the public became mandatory, from more than 27% to less than 10%.

Although it had been known for years that pasteurization was effective, dairies fought it bitterly because it would cost them money. I don't even want to try calculating how many babies died because dairy owners didn't want their profit margins screwed with. So much for the free market being self-regulating....

1 person likes this.
  11. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Not if he had two lights, and the remaining one lit the license plate sufficiently for it to be seen.

I successfully argued that point with a Riverside County Sheriff's deputy, about two years ago. But I was very cheerful, very patient and very polite while doing so. yes, I can do that when I want to. :p

I didn't frame it as a confrontation, where he felt he had to 'win.' So in the end, he just suggested I replace the burned-out bulb as soon as possible, before the other one went. I'm not an idiot; I replaced both of them. Along with all the other bulbs in the rear, that were the same age and had never been replaced... because I had a feeling the deputy would be keeping an eye out for me.

That approach wouldn't have helped your elderly gentleman, though; it does sound like they were determined to nail him for something.

12. sawmaster

sawmaster Senior Member

I second the motion--just wanted to say I heartily agree with troy 2000 on the gold standard/etc.Too many folks in the name of "freedom" are far too willing to through out the baby with the bathwater.

13. sawmaster

sawmaster Senior Member

correction: should be THROW out the baby with the bathwater

14. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

I wouldn't have guessed you like Elton John -- you seem more like an Alice Cooper sort of guy ;)

15. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Absolute rubbish.

I challenge you to start my 25 HP 415V 3 phase air compressor off of a solar panel bank as installed on the typical domestic house.

That's just one example.

PDW

1 person likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.