The nanny state - Licences and registration

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by jamesgyore, Apr 21, 2012.

1. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

and you have no idea about melbournes tollways watson. last trip cost me $18.00 for 20 km. i have an account and its all on my statement.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

..... and enjoying the benefits.

Are you expecting everything for free ? I bet you expect a paypacket each week, just not everyone else, obviously.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

I know all abut tollways WP. I still have an account with them.

You don't have to use them you know - try the local roads.

But - you know when you are on a good thing.

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Yeah - but you know chandlers dont sell steel PDW :D That next load of blue insulation will catch you up.

I will run over and ask Mr Duggan how much you have spent over the last 12 months, and i bet you average out a lot higher than $200 a trip. :)

(being Tassie, he would probably tell me too )

5. whitepointer23

actually watson the tollways are that expensive that now i will be using the princes h'way like the old days unless the mission is urgent enough to warrant the charges. you think all these fines and charges are acceptable i don't.. for example: a month ago a truck stopped in front of me 1/2 way through an intersection so i was sitting in the middle when the lights changed, i got a $309 fine and 3 points for running a red light which i did not do at all. if i spell a town name wrong or draw a line in my logbook without a ruler i get a $600 fine for each mistake . sure is the lucky country. p.s. if i could get my wife and kids to go back home to albany i would never come back to the east coast again.

6. whitepointer23

victoria is the rear end of the earth and tassie is a pimple on it. lol:

7. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

Many years ago I sailed into Thevenard, SA.

If Australia ever needs an *****, that's where they'd insert the nozzle.

Please keep regarding Tassie in a bad light. Please.

PDW

8. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

No doubt he would. Fortunately for me, I don't care. Everyone knows that a person building a boat is to be pitied and exploited with care & enthusiasm. Spread the wealth and the knowledge about I say.

I'm importing my sail cloth from the USA because nobody local was interested. Got a local guy lined up to do the sewing, though. Not one of the sail lofts, I don't think they'd be interested in a junk rig.

Please note, people living in Melbourne. You'll have no privacy here either; everyone will know your business. Do not move to Tasmania. If you do, Burnie or Wynyard or Smithton are truly wonderful places, the biggest feature being that they are at the opposite end of the state to here.

Sydney & Melbourne are great places. Please stay there.

PDW

9. whitepointer23

i was just after a bite, i have only looked at photos of tassie, i hope to get down there for a look when i get time, certainly looks nice. i am not far from tassie anyway, we pick up your radio stations.

10. pdwiley

pdwiley Senior Member

I moved here from Sydney and I discourage the people I know from doing the same. I'm sure a number of people wish I'd go back where I came from :)

Come over for a visit though, it's a nice place. Spend money and go home again.

I sympathise about your traffic woes. Mind you I used to ***** about Sydney traffic until I lived in Jakarta for a while. It's all a matter of perspective.

There isn't a single tool road or tunnel in Tasmania. There also isn't any fast roads and most of the Midlands Highway is single lane, so you get what you get with a small population base.

PDW

11. whitepointer23

i don't have to go to melbourne all that often so its not that big a drama, i live in east gippsland. coming from w.a where passing 10 cars an hour in the country to vic where you pass 10 a minute is a bit of a culture shock.

12. Ike

Ike Senior Member

All sounds very familiar:

In Oregon you used to see bumper stickers that said Welcome To Oregon, Now GO HOME!

I lived in Maryland for a while, Their unofficial state motto is "If you can think of it, we can tax it!".

Think registration laws are confusing. Here in Washington state, if you have a boat under 16 feet and 10 HP, and use it only on waters under state jurisdiction, you don't have to register it. If you use it on any waters that are both Federal and state jurisdiction you do. Since the lake on my front door is owned half by the Army and half in the county, it is both Federal and State so I have to register my 12 foot rowboat because it has a 2 HP motor, but if I chucked the motor and rowed it, or bought an electric motor I wouldn't have to register. Got that. To make it more confusing my 8 foot sailboat doesn't have to be registered anywhere, neither do canoes and kayaks. You still there? Eyes glazed over yet?

Need I go on? Washington is raiding the fund dedicated to boating infrastructure, paid for by boaters with special levies (taxes) to pay for totally unrelated other things. Huh?

1 person likes this.
  13. whitepointer23

very similar here except an electric motor is counted as an engine so we can't use one without registering the boat.

14. Ike

Ike Senior Member

Oh yeah, my wife reminded me of one of the worst examples. We moved to Virginia to get out of Maryland. Virginia taxes real estate and personal property (cars, boats, etc)The taxes were lower than Maryland, but they sent the bill to us every year on the same day, Her birthday!

15. masalai

masalai masalai

http://www.amsa.gov.au/Shipping_Registration/Guides/Registering_a_Ship.asp for a guide to registering your ship in Australia.

http://www.amsa.gov.au/Levies_and_fees/ levies & fees and have a look around - quite a simple process and a ONCE ONLY FEE requiring no further intervention by any of the states...

Call them during normal office hours (they are very friendly and helpful), and ask what to do and how much... The whole process requires completing several forms, paying the fees requested, (mine was around $7-to-800), and get a very nice 'certificate', as the full owner (64 shares?) in the vessel...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.