Maximum Passenger Weight

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by keller34, Aug 30, 2015.

1. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

keller34, perhaps you should call or send an email to Ski Supreme and ask them if they stated a weight capacity or maximum number of passengers for your boat, and if they did what it was based on.

2. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Ad Hoc, I understand your logic. I just believe it may not apply in this situation involving a recreational boat over 20' in length in the US. The world is not always as logical as we might wish.

3. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

That is not logical.

If I take that very same boat and run the boat in say Italy, the boat doesn't change, the speed doesn't change and the max payload (dead weight) for a certain speed, does not change. Being in the US, or anywhere else, does not effect the performance/stability claims. Ergo..what is the deadweight of the vessel for the claimed/given speed?

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I'd just get in touch with the govt dept that administers it for clarification.

5. Kailani

Kailani Senior Member

I think the weight capacity is the main thing.

I wouldn't count on seating being for good performance or even adults.

I know with my boat I always kept it around 1/2 full of fuel. I could fill up for longer range, but handling suffered if I had more than 2 people with a full tank and I had to go faster to stay on plane. Good magazine performance tests give the amount of fuel and passengers during the test and best performance is usually not full.

There's a huge difference between six 35 lb kids and six 300 lb adult men on a small boat.

6. Kailani

Kailani Senior Member

Also owners judgement is important. For example with a bowrider the bow seats are great for slow speed and nice days. Don't plan to use those seats on bad weather days or when jumping swells or wakes.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.