Local TV channel leaps into 20th Century

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Bergalia, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

I don't know how many Aussie members were agog at a Channel Seven 'Shock Horror' tabloidy piece tonight (16/4/07) in which it was revealed - excusively - that the crew of HMAS Sydney were actually dumping rubbish (garbage for the US readers) overboard. They even had a secret - exclusive - video of the foul action taking place.
    Two things struck me (not the garbage, I was downwind). One that the crew seemed quite aware that they were being 'secretly' filmed - by 'hamming' it up for the camera; and that the HMAS Sydney seemed to be manned entirely by a crew with 'fuzzy' cross-hatched faces....
    Sadly this is the way that TV - almost internationally is being dragged down to the lowest demoninator. Twenty-eight more dead in Iraq tonight, another 150 injured - yet the headlines are taken up with what, unfortunately, has been common practice ever since navies have roved the seas.
    Good job they couldn't get a 'secret' 'exclusive' camera under the Arctic/Anarctic ice to see where the atomic subs (all nations) dump their nuclear waste... :(

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Bergalia,

A couple of US citizens actually include "rubbish" in our vocabulary.

We are dealing with some serious news tonight to:(

Take care down there.

TGoz

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Local TV channel leaps etc

True Tim, I suppose the US has been going long enough by now to have learned to speak English....
    :D

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  4. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Shock, Horror, Bergalia unfortunately dumping gash at sea is now illegal - has been for years! Causes a bit of a problem for those wanting to be buried at sea, but that's life (?err) if you see what I mean! However certain items can be dumped when a certain distance out! So at a guess your cameraman is filming legal rubbish but as he's a bit thick he doesn't realise it! I mean would real sailors from a 'fighting navy' ditch their rubbish at sea, after all they are representatives of their guberment - I mean would YOU (no You best not answer that somebody may know were you live!!!!) ;)

5. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Local TV channel leaps etc

Same here tonight, Tim. The sound and fury about dumping at sea has faded...And despite the dreadful outrage in your country...tonight the same channel concentrated on neighbours complaining about a pensioner who kept eight cats in her single-bedroomed unit...

I despair Tim, I despair.

6. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Amen.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.