Last voyage for Costa Concordia cruise ship

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Jan 14, 2012.

1. ImaginaryNumber

ImaginaryNumber Imaginary Member

Jolly, that may be an older photo. According to this May 19 article the ship is pretty much stripped.

Genoa, demolition Costa Concordia: remains only the skeleton (compliments of Google Translator)
    http://www.askanews.it/cronaca/geno...ncordia-resta-solo-lo-scheletro_711815414.htm
    Looks like YouTube won't allow this video to be played on BoatDesign.net. After starting the video click on the YouTube icon in the lower-right corner.

2. Jolly Amaranto

Jolly Amaranto Junior Member

Yeah, I figured. It takes a while for new images to show up on Google. And to think there are still folks out there that believe it is "Real Time". :)

3. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

You can tell that's an old photo becuz the caissons are shown still attached to the sides of the hulk.

The hulk must have all the furnishings, joiner work, machinery, ventilation and electrical systems, etc. stripped out to get down to the steel structure of the ship. Once that occurs, you can start cutting off chunks of the hulk and send them to be recycled.

You must maintain some structural integrity during this process, so the steel structure is dismantled in a certain sequence so that the vessel will not break apart while it is being cut up.

Generally, the superstructure down to the main deck will be removed first, along with the ends of the ship. The scrappers will move gradually to the center of the vessel from the ends and down from the main deck to the bottom as they dismantle the hull.

When the vessel gets dismantled beyond a certain point, it is no longer capable of floating, so the remains will be put either into a drydock or hauled up on shore for the final pieces to be cut up.

4. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

5. ImaginaryNumber

[​IMG]
    The wreckage of the tragic Costa Concordia is being dismantled so its parts can be used for scraps at the port of Genoa.
    Pictured on Friday [Jan 13, 2017], five years to the day from the disaster.

Francesco Schettino, dubbed 'Captain Coward' after he fled the boat before its 4,200 passengers were safely ashore, was sentenced to 10 years in jail for manslaughter, five more for causing a shipwreck, one for abandoning ship, and a further month for giving false information to port authorities.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-cruise-liner-capsized-killing-32-people.html

6. ImaginaryNumber

Captain jailed over Costa Concordia disaster says he will go back to being a 'ship boy' | The Telegraph

The Italian captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner that capsized in 2012 killing 32 people says he’ll cope with prison life by going back to being “ship boy.”
    Former ship captain and accident investigator Arne Sagen of Norway’s Skaggerak Foundation said Sunday he will lobby the industry for changes to the International Safety Management code in the wake of the Costa Concordia case, as he believes Italian authorities "clearly breached" the code by allowing Costa Cruises (part of the Carnival group) to enter into a plea bargain and pay a $1.1 million fine in exchange for not being tried.

“They paid themselves free of any management and operational responsibility,” leaving the court no option but to find the captain solely responsible, Sagen told the Telegraph...

7. ImaginaryNumber

Costa Concordia Dismantling Completed in Italy | gCaptain
    In July of this year the group Ship Recycling Consortium reported that the salvage of the Costa Concordia officially ended.

350 salvage workers worked one million hours.

90 percent of the ship's materials or about 53,000 tons were recycled.

Nearly 4,000 trips were made to transport those materials to recycling facilities in Italy.

8. Tom Bates

Tom Bates New Member

9. A II

A II no senior member → youtu.be/oNjQXmoxiQ8 → I wish

Hi Tom, welcome to the forum !

It seems to me one of those 12 PDFs was posted as an attachment* to post #1122.

* lines plan of the Costa Serena, a sister ship of the Costa Concordia

P.S. - What's your interest in it ?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
  10. Tom Bates

Tom Bates New Member

I am a collector of plans and drawings for ships ( mostly old ships 1880s though 1950s, and i am trying to find out the arrangement of the machinery and crew spaces in the lower decks of the Costa Concordia to get a idea of the design for ships of this era and to try and understand the sinking better. It seems there are no clear detailed plans for the CC lower decks. I came across this forum post and it seams to have exactly what I'm looking for but sadly the links are dead. And it seams the person who originally posted has not been online for a while. I noticed a few people such as imaginarynumber and jolly-amaranto are still active I wonder of they might have saved copyies of the PDF plans? Thanks for the reply A II , any ideas?

11. A II

Look up the Costa Concordia accident investigation report, it might contain drawings to explain the situation.

12. Jolly Amaranto

Jolly Amaranto Junior Member

Sorry, I do not have any plans or drawings on the CC.

13. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

My plans do not include the CC. :)

14. A II

That pops up easy enough, although not so much drawings there...

gCaptain: May 24, 2013 Full Costa Concordia Investigation Report Released

‘‘ . . . . . And that’s just the beginning of the drama that consequently unfolded. We encourage you download and read the full report HERE (Large Download). ’’

15. ImaginaryNumber

Are these upper deck plans of Costa Serena useful to you? Not much information on the lower crew decks or machinery decks.

Costa Serena deck plan | CruiseMapper https://www.cruisemapper.com/deckplans/Costa-Serena-667

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/onepagepdfscript.php?ship=Costa Serena

Costa Serena Ship Description (pdf) https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/3999383/costa-serena-ship-description-pdf

https://www.fincantieri.com/globala...ta/scheda_costa_concordia_serena_pacifica.pdf

Fincantieri | Costa Serena https://www.fincantieri.com/en/products-and-services/cruise-ships/costa-serena/

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.