Last voyage for Costa Concordia cruise ship

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Jolly Amaranto

Jolly Amaranto Junior Member

You can get about everything you need at this little dive shop in Alexandria. When the pipes are not hooked to helmets, the employees use them to get in a little relaxation.

Attached Files:

2. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Often wondered, really, what do they smoke in those things, tobacco ?? Tobacco is not a traditional product of the east as it originated in the west. Seriously,I've heard it was hash- hish but i've always thought the guys were pulling my leg. Maybe thats what the captain was doing before he hit the rock. They say it alters time and space--I've always thought i should have inhaled to find out the truth of that. :) I am looking forward to their salvage operation. I wonder if they'll secure her with big cables to the land to prevent further sliding into the deeps. Should be very interesting.

3. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

They're smoking flavored tobacco whose smoke is passed through a water basin before inhalation.

Cheers,
    Angel

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

OHhhh Angelique--I have distant foggy memories of the operation of the hooka (water pipe) just wondered which of the many products they were vacuum pulling thru the liquid. Interesting - wonder when tobacco was introduced to the middle east. I bet it was as a trade item for spice. We tried rum as the cooling liquid way back in my younger days -- did the job -- nice flavour but runed the rum--terrible taste we couldn't drink it. I might add older and wiser now don't spoil anymore rum, I just drink it. :)

5. smartbight

smartbight Naval Architect

Costa Concordia Disaster to Become Discovery Channel Special.

"Set to premiere Sunday, Feb. 12, at 7 p.m., with an encore on Monday, Feb. 13, at 10 p.m., Nat Geo's Italian Cruise Ship Disaster: The Untold Stories will weave accounts of the tragedy from passengers, crew members and the Coast Guard and feature never-before-seen video and CGI to reconstruct the ship's sinking as it happened."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/national-geographic-costa-concordia-documentary-287275

"The documentary also will compare the Costa Concordia to the Titanic and look at just how the ship sank and whether or not the disaster could have been prevented."

I hope they do a better job than what we got here on channel 4.

6. smartbight

smartbight Naval Architect

Maybe not !

NatGeo announced Tuesday that it had hired the producers of the quick-turnaround British documentary “Terror at Sea: The Sinking of the Concordia” — which already aired on the United Kingdom’s Channel 4 — to rework it for the United States under the name “Italian Cruise Ship Disaster: The Untold Stories.” It will air Sunday, NatGeo announced.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...taries-on-air/2012/02/07/gIQAADOQxQ_blog.html

7. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

North,

I've sat in on one of Middle Eastern variety and it is the biggest lung full of nothing I've ever puffed (and I've puffed a few). I can't remember what he said about what it was but it has zero effect, nada, nix, nothing accept a bunch of cool, white smoke.

As for the other, more interesting varieties, apricot brandy is by far my favourite cold liquid to draw through, although it's been a few years now...
    Quite right though, it does render the nectar unpalatable (but reusable).

Don't do this before boating kids!

-Tom

8. SheetWise

SheetWise All Beach -- No Water.

There are some pictures I hadn't seen before up at Cargo Law

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Very interesting.

10. IEWinkle

IEWinkle Retired Naval Architect

This is an interesting demonstration of the effect of crossflooded wing tanks with only minor sinkage and no heel despite a hole only marginally smaller than that in the Costa Concordia - just below the vehicle deck! Note third photo in link below:

http://www.shipwrecklog.com/log/2012/02/sharden-30-meter-gash/

11. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Something like this!

Attached Files:

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Kinda, yes.

13. Angélique

14. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Angel,
    I thought about slicing and dicing the Concordia but found that one and I think it is cute. I think we have the same source as the image shows the link. Just don't know how to post it the way you do.

15. Angélique

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.