Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Community > Open Discussion: All Things Boats & Boating
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Old 02-07-2012, 08:09 AM

Rep: 799 Posts: 1,307
At one time, you could get a panamanian captains license for $500. I read some fellow in prison got one while in prison. So, getting you papers isn't a problem. If not Panama, there's ceraintly some place in the world with corrupt embassy personel.
We can ask Schettino where he purchased his, maybe?

Old 02-07-2012, 08:18 AM

Rep: 174 Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobarnacle View Post
Seen a youtube how to use a oiless shop compressor as a hookah dive rig.
You can get about everything you need at this little dive shop in Alexandria. When the pipes are not hooked to helmets, the employees use them to get in a little relaxation.
Attached Thumbnails
Last voyage for Costa Concordia cruise ship-hukas.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012, 09:47 AM

Rep: 1035 Posts: 1,657
Often wondered, really, what do they smoke in those things, tobacco ?? Tobacco is not a traditional product of the east as it originated in the west. Seriously,I've heard it was hash- hish but i've always thought the guys were pulling my leg. Maybe thats what the captain was doing before he hit the rock. They say it alters time and space--I've always thought i should have inhaled to find out the truth of that. I am looking forward to their salvage operation. I wonder if they'll secure her with big cables to the land to prevent further sliding into the deeps. Should be very interesting.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:55 AM

Rep: 1410 Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by viking north View Post

Often wondered, really, what do they smoke in those things, tobacco ?? Tobacco is not a traditional product of the east as it originated in the west. Seriously,I've heard it was hash- hish but i've always thought the guys were pulling my leg.
They're smoking flavored tobacco whose smoke is passed through a water basin before inhalation.

Cheers,
Angel
Old 02-07-2012, 10:02 AM

Rep: 1035 Posts: 1,657
OHhhh Angelique--I have distant foggy memories of the operation of the hooka (water pipe) just wondered which of the many products they were vacuum pulling thru the liquid. Interesting - wonder when tobacco was introduced to the middle east. I bet it was as a trade item for spice. We tried rum as the cooling liquid way back in my younger days -- did the job -- nice flavour but runed the rum--terrible taste we couldn't drink it. I might add older and wiser now don't spoil anymore rum, I just drink it.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Naval Architect

Rep: 55 Posts: 112
Costa Concordia Disaster to Become Discovery Channel Special.

"Set to premiere Sunday, Feb. 12, at 7 p.m., with an encore on Monday, Feb. 13, at 10 p.m., Nat Geo's Italian Cruise Ship Disaster: The Untold Stories will weave accounts of the tragedy from passengers, crew members and the Coast Guard and feature never-before-seen video and CGI to reconstruct the ship's sinking as it happened."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...mentary-287275

"The documentary also will compare the Costa Concordia to the Titanic and look at just how the ship sank and whether or not the disaster could have been prevented."

I hope they do a better job than what we got here on channel 4.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Naval Architect

Rep: 55 Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartbight View Post
I hope they do a better job than what we got here on channel 4.
Maybe not !

NatGeo announced Tuesday that it had hired the producers of the quick-turnaround British documentary “Terror at Sea: The Sinking of the Concordia” — which already aired on the United Kingdom’s Channel 4 — to rework it for the United States under the name “Italian Cruise Ship Disaster: The Untold Stories.” It will air Sunday, NatGeo announced.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...OQxQ_blog.html
Old 02-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Previous Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking north View Post
Often wondered, really, what do they smoke in those things, tobacco ?? Tobacco is not a traditional product of the east as it originated in the west. Seriously,I've heard it was hash- hish but i've always thought the guys were pulling my leg. Maybe thats what the captain was doing before he hit the rock. They say it alters time and space--I've always thought i should have inhaled to find out the truth of that. I am looking forward to their salvage operation. I wonder if they'll secure her with big cables to the land to prevent further sliding into the deeps. Should be very interesting.
North,

I've sat in on one of Middle Eastern variety and it is the biggest lung full of nothing I've ever puffed (and I've puffed a few). I can't remember what he said about what it was but it has zero effect, nada, nix, nothing accept a bunch of cool, white smoke.

As for the other, more interesting varieties, apricot brandy is by far my favourite cold liquid to draw through, although it's been a few years now...
Quite right though, it does render the nectar unpalatable (but reusable).

Don't do this before boating kids!

-Tom
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 PM
All Beach -- No Water.

Rep: 658 Posts: 293
There are some pictures I hadn't seen before up at Cargo Law
Old 02-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Crotchety

Rep: 2363 Posts: 4,827
Very interesting.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Retired Naval Architect

Rep: 184 Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian Milan View Post
(AGI) - Rome, February 4 - Night of fear for the 262 passengers and 53 crew members of Tirrenia vessel "Sharden", departing from Civitavecchia to Olbia and direct, that shortly before midnight has struck against a tooth of the outer breakwater of the harbor, at the green light. The impact caused a hole of about 30 meters above the waterline, but the immediate attention of the local coastguard, who coordinated the operation of two tugs, has permission to drive the ship at the dock and put it in safety. A providential intervention for an accident that many - especially the passengers - brought back to mind the tragedy of Concord island of Giglio.
This is an interesting demonstration of the effect of crossflooded wing tanks with only minor sinkage and no heel despite a hole only marginally smaller than that in the Costa Concordia - just below the vehicle deck! Note third photo in link below:

http://www.shipwrecklog.com/log/2012...30-meter-gash/
Old 02-09-2012, 06:16 AM

Rep: 1052 Posts: 1,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytedow View Post
Make it with smaller cabins and call it the Squeezebox!
Something like this!
Attached Thumbnails
Last voyage for Costa Concordia cruise ship-300px-macduff-_high_and_dry_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1374026.jpg  
Old 02-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Crotchety

Rep: 2363 Posts: 4,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcomposite View Post
Something like this!
Kinda, yes.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:28 AM

Rep: 1410 Posts: 875
I was afraid it was photoshopped, but that one seems to realy exist . . . .

According to Wiki she's ‘‘A robustly designed contemporary fishing boat’’

Cheers,
Angel

Old 02-09-2012, 10:44 AM

Rep: 1052 Posts: 1,382
Angel,
I thought about slicing and dicing the Concordia but found that one and I think it is cute. I think we have the same source as the image shows the link. Just don't know how to post it the way you do.