Last voyage for Costa Concordia cruise ship

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Petros

Petros Senior Member

no matter how many safety features and procedures you have in place there no way to compensate for human failures on so many levels. The best efforts of the designers and regulations can not overcome gross incompetence.

There is an old saying: it is impossible to make something fool proof, because fools can be so cleaver.

Despite all the bad decisions, it is remarkable only a tiny faction of the 4,000 plus people on board lost their life. Even that could have been avoided, but I think this illustrates actually how good the passive systems performed, despite the best efforts of the crew to thwart proper procedures.

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

The current process is sufficient. It's society and people that are broken.

Notice to captains who obligingly pass out letters of recommendation to any young officer who asks. You share in his future disasters.

Notice to society and those influential. Re-adopt standards such as honor, honesty, integrity, and duty.

Notice to companys. Hire command level employees with more in depth analysis of character.

3. smartbight

smartbight Naval Architect

This is what we are talking about !

"Barred the door, I will try to enter from the window.
    1.) This accident was caused by idiocy, not a technical failing of the vessel or design rules."

There's room for improvements.

We NAs know that all these newer 'resort' cruise ships meet all the class and solas standards and requirements if built to rules, and approved by classification Societies like Lloyds, RINA, BV, DNV, GL, etc. They have enough engineers and lawyers on their payroll to make sure of that.

But ! ....

Take a look at one of the CC machinery modules (hi-res photo, exhibit A) and you can see why that 'boulder' got in the E.R. so easily.

Now take a look at the same module on the MSC Divina (low-res photo, exhibit B). Obviously designed by an NA who was not sleeping during Prof. Yagle lectures.

You can see that the outcome might have been totally different.:)
    Capt. Francesco could have finished his bottle of Chianti with that Moldovan beauty... and maybe even have time for a cigar too :D ; while the ship kept on steaming toward Savona for 'patching'.

Attached Files:

4. Yobarnacle

Gentlemen:
    What would be the legal vulnerability and influence on industry, if a website was created with exactly those types of photos for each liner or class (list sister ships) as a "consumer" guide to folks looking to buy tickets. Maybe performance records of captains, too. The market could regulate rogue cruise lines. What's your thoughts?

5. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I as an amateur have a more favorable opinion of the exhibit B photo. It is like comparing a Yugo to an F-250 pickup.

6. Yobarnacle

7. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It looks like someone took the beach and left the hotel.

8. Yobarnacle

tsunami

9. seewolfbarney

seewolfbarney Junior Member

That would be good info for me as a customer aboard any ship.

10. Gian Milan

Gian Milan Previous Member

:)
    intelligenti (or intelligentibus) pauca.

It is not Italian!
    Is a Latin proverb meaning:
    "intelligent people do not need many words"

In the context, would mean that if on a certain subject positions are irreconcilable, it is absolutely useless to insist on arguing when all is said.
    Basically, I was just looking for new reasons, based on historical factors, since the arguments of the various experts are not convinced me at all.

PS

I would not give my life for another who is not my son or my wife.

Very probably I would risk my life to save the lives of others.

Surely, without rhetoric, I am willing to annoy many people to change things right but I deemed wrong.

Reason with my head, as did Galileo, I often made ​​life difficult.

Professionally, I just did innovation.
    it's tiring, but it pays a lot and brings prestige.
    In some cases, increases safety of the people.

Ad Maiora!

PPS

KOTAKU VAMURA forever....

11. Gian Milan

In the past decades, only elites could enjoy the cruises.
    Shipping companies, after a long crisis, found ...." marketing "!
    WOW!!!
    Through travel agencies bring pulmann full of pensioners to visit the ship.
    With 10 euros you have a trip and a free lunch!

They see first time a transatlantic.
    Are dazzled by theater, shops, swimming pools, people in uniform, sumptuous lunch.
    They understand that with 400/600 euro become Liz Taylor.
    They believe they are embarked on something futuristic, where everything is technologically possible for their protection has been developed.

Then I can tell the whole story from hairdressing ...
    But at the hairdresser finds the one that is to the cruise number 7... (Oh f**k!) ... "in the spring we will depart for Greece ...."

People do not know that the vessels are not all equal.
    People do not know what is the RINA.
    People think the captain should be one that s**ts rubies, if they gave him the responsibility of 500,000,000 euros!
    ....500,000,000 euros, to pay is the insurance, not the owner ...

People do not know that for safety someone could do much more, but it is limited.
    Just as in 1912.

This is fraud, circumvention of incapable, is what you want: sure is not ethic.

People think that all technologically and reasonably possible for their safety has been adopted.
    This is something that must be guaranteed.

KOTAKU VAMURA forever....

12. mat8iou

mat8iou Junior Member

Pareto Principle applies to most things - you can eliminate the bulk of accidents easily, but your hit the zone of diminishing returns, where it is always hard to eliminate any chance of problems.

13. Gian Milan

Pareto principle here is out of place related to the empirical distribution of income ... then elaborated by Juran principle.

Maybe we could call on the old Maltus ....
    Because there are too many, there are no wars, no plagues .... do the cruise ships as the Vendee!!

14. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Check this testimony from a ship engineer at watch that night: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/al...oncordia-cruise-ship-41313-47.html#post522319

15. seewolfbarney

seewolfbarney Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.