Last voyage for Costa Concordia cruise ship

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by daiquiri, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Salvage company* info:

Smit gives updates here, Boskalis gives updates here. - (Smit is a subsidiary of Boskalis)

Don't know if updates keep comming through above links, maybe better watch . . . . . . .

Smit main page and hit this button there [​IMG]

For Boskalis: Press and/or News

Cheers,
    Angel

P.S. - * have only a contract for oil removal so far . . .

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. Gian Milan

Gian Milan Previous Member

My opinion is different.

1) ship was traveling at a speed of 7.7 m / second.
    2) stabi is at 132m from bow (hull)
    3) hole start at 27 portholes from stern. probably at a distance of about 45/45 meters from the stabilizer.
    5) ship's speed, distance stabi-hole was 5 / 8 seconds.
    6) in 8 seconds ship can not steer sharply to recover the angle of route and the angle stabi/side.
    7) passengers before heard the collision, then turning and have fallen dishes.

Stabi could not be open.

What I can not figure out is: it was open or closed stabi, such as turn the propellers, the rudder is balanced, what color is the paint ... what changes for design?

The problem with that/those ships is pretty obvious: strength, times and methods evacuation.

Understood as the minimum time required should have a floating ship.

Ways not intended as procedures, but as survival craft and their use.

Attached Files:

3. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

Gian,
    We may consider that the stabilizer was NOT in a direct collision trajectory, as it seems the vessel course was just away enough for its port side to pass a few metres off the rocks. So when the ship turned "sharply" the fin just increased its distance but the stern side hit because of the sliding due to the turning inertia.

As said in my previous posts, some captains in other forums have been speculating with alternative manoeuvres, being one of them to just have kept the course straight.

Cheers.

4. Gian Milan

Guillermo,

if we consider the stabi wire on the reef, ship would have to turn to the rock at least the length of the stabilizer! time: 5 sec....linear pathway 45 m.

If the distance assumed away the stabilizer, then in 5 / 7 seconds you retrieve an even greater distance.

The Concordia was not a go-kart; slippages r not possible!
    Look at the picture: you realize that the distance is minimal for a 15kn speed.

Any case....who cares? this Is not the problem.
    Obviously, in my opinion.

5. Guillermo

In a turning ship we have always the hull turning movement around the pivoting point, as well as some amount of slippage. On top of this we may also think the crew tried to avoid the hitting by applying the forward thruster, which would have brought the forward half of the vessel farther from the rocks, but induced an increased pivoting movement thus bringing the stern half to collision.

But of course, the main aspect is the absolutely inadequate close approaching to land at night in a 300 m long vessel at 15 knots.

Cheers.

6. Guillermo

The fin was most certainly deployed, as these ships use to keep them in use at all times when under way. Even with flat seas they need "stabilizing" when turning (the vessel had been turning in its approach to the island) due to their very small initial GM which produces relatively important heeling angles. The fins are needed to counteract such heeling to keep the passengers happy.

7. Gian Milan

I went to review the position of the flaw.
    It starts right at the porthole 28.

is too close to to the mast collar of the stabilizer.

If we are sure that the stabilizer was deployed, try a different situation from that of the rotation at 15, maybe 16 knots.
    Also because passengers felt the shock, then the dishes are reversed.

For a designer, the main as a moral problem.
    If there is the belief that ships like the Concordia are not safe, we must make sure that people know.

The 27 was the day of memory.
    Many of us have wondered:
    "How is it possible?"

It may be that it was possible for all have been silent?

B.B.

First they came for the gypsies

and I was glad, because they pilfered.

Then they came for the Jews

and I said nothing because I was being nasty.

Then they came for the homosexuals,

and I was relieved because I was annoying.

Then they came for the Communists,

and I said nothing, because it was not a Communist.

One day they came for me,

and there was no one left to protest.

8. Jolly Amaranto

Jolly Amaranto Junior Member

Even a ship with a deep keel and not a flat bottom like the CC is going to rotate and have the stern slip sideways in a turn.

9. Gian Milan

view photos. Do not you think that the initial part of the damage is a result of friction rather than a collision?
    Any case, the question remains of the passengers who heard first the collision and then turn.

Attached Files:

10. nettersheim

nettersheim Consultant

Guillermo,

The metacentric height GM for this kind of vessel is approx. GM = 2,40 m (full load) as a minimum.
    The reason for this high GM is that the vessel should be able to cope with the damage stability criteria (for that vesel , SOLAS 74 amended 90 i.e SOLAS 90).
    This observation is not contradictory with what you are telling, in a way, because the roll accelerations induced by such metacentric height are quite high and the fin stabilizers are aften used to smoothen the hard movements due to this high GM...

See below an extract of the damage stability file of a similar vessel (project design ship A of the EU research program FLOODSTAND)

QUOTE =
    6. RESULTS OF PROBABILISTIC DAMAGE STABILITY CALCULATIONS
    6.1. Required Index
    For the particular vessel the required index according to regulation 6 has been
    calculated with following parameters;
    Subdivision Length 315.673 m
    Breadth at the load line 37.40 m
    Number of persons N1 4200
    Number of persons N2 1400
    Required subdivision index R= 0.84867
    6.2. Attained Index
    For the particular vessel the attained index according to regulation 7.
    Detailed documentation of the calculation are shown in section 12 on pages 52-109.
    Port Side;
    Initial Condition; GM; Partial Attained Index; Global weighed Index;
    ds = 8.80 m GM = 2.40 m 0.87179 > 0.9 R 0.17436
    dp = 8.52 m GM = 2.25 m 0.88984 > 0.9 R 0.17797
    dl = 8.10 m GM = 1.90 m 0.84863 > 0.9 R 0.08486
    Starboard Side;
    ds = 8.80 m 2.40 m 0.86453 > 0.9 A 0.17291
    dp = 8.52 m 2.25 m 0.88024 > 0.9 A 0.17605
    dl = 8.10 m 1.90 m 0.84649 > 0.9 A 0.08465
    Attained subdivision index A =0.87079
    UNQUOTE

Francois-Xavier Nettersheim

1 person likes this.
  11. nettersheim

nettersheim Consultant

This kind of commentary is just nothing else than pure demagogy. This "columnist" should not be proud of this.

You may find German and British captains (and a lot of other nationality, including french, US, etc) in maritime history doing stupid things with dramatic consequences. Just remember as an example the british flag ro-pax "Herald of Free Enterprise" leaving Zeebrugge with open bow doors...

Maritime activity is by essence a dangerous one.

A lot of people are involved in the safety matter : captains, chief-engineers, officers, crews, owners, owner superintendents, owner engineers, naval architects, ship designers, ship builders, ship builder engineers, equipments suppliers, legislators (national and international i.e International Maritime Organisation IMO), class societies (among the most influentials despite their private statutory...). All are involved.

Above Spiegel commentary is just s....

Francois-Xavier Nettersheim
    (french certified captain, experienced in ferry activity in English Channel and North Sea, with particular interest and specialization in intact and damage stability matters)

12. bntii

bntii Senior Member

I don't understand the reason for this question.

From the captains own statements:

"“I am telling you the truth. We sailed past Giglio and we took a hit. All of a sudden I saw foam on the surface of the water off the bow of the ship. I knew immediately it was a reef that had not shown up on the radar.”

The ship was travelling at 16 knots. Schettino ordered the wheel to be turned “full to the right” and called for the engines to be thrown in “full reverse”, but it was too late.

Schettino told investigating judge Valeria Montesarchio how, after he had crashed into the rocks, he sent two senior officers down to the engine room. They reported that it was flooded and water was pouring in."
    http://www.scotsman.com/scotland-on-...iner_1_2070889

13. Gian Milan

I just wanted to point out some details, for me important about the issue, which still has secondary importance and is far from being resolved with certainty.

The words of a worm like Schettino can not be used to support any thesis.

Every time we've heard, he was lying.

He lied when he said he could not go back.
    He lied when he said he'd climbed.
    He lied when he said on television that was on board with his officers until the end of transhipment.
    He lied when he said that has fallen into a lifeboat from the ship.
    He lied ti Costa Cruises: the poor manager who spoke with Schettino, an hour and a half after the collision had called a company of Liguria (in middle night) for repair of a small hole!
    He lied when he said that there was a rock not marked on the maps.
    He told more lies (do not remember exactly) about the camera system's internal HD.

Honestly, I can not believe how anyone can still give some form of interest to the statements of Schettino.

Probably the figure is so enormous grotesque to escape to a normal mental interpretation.

Bntii, remember ...... monster happens!

14. Guillermo

Thanks Nettersheim, you are right of course. I tried to give you rep points but not possible yet. :)

2,40 m is quite a high GM, making the ship very stiff, indeed, not tender (so easy to heel when in turns) as it would be if in the range of 0,15 m.

Anyway, be it because of stiffness or tenderness, passenger ships always deploy the stabilizing fins when under way for the comfort of passengers.

Cheers.

2 people like this.

15. Gian Milan

News from the Concordia.

Costa Cruises has agreed with almost all the passengers with no injuries or deaths.
    agreement is approximately 14,000 euros.

All inclusives, payment in a week.

U.S. passengers will demand for punitive damages 460,000,000 euros.
    In Italy and in Europe punitive damages has not expected.
    Contract has been done in Europe.
    Good luck to the survivors.

Soon will know the Italian courts and they will regret Schettino.

Costa Cruises said:
    will be ready in two months the plan to remove the wreck from Giglio.
    About a year works for complete removal.

Happy holidays to Giglio.

Even David Letterman handled the Concordia.
    In Schettino imitation Letterman made a fox accent and not an Italian accent; politically correct.

Fox imitation, however, must be improved.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.